PDA

View Full Version : Rigid or Delta? only two choices

John W. Willis
03-31-2007, 8:04 PM
I have narrowed my bandsaw choices to Rigid or Delta. Due to my fixed income now these are my only choices since I have to buy at Lowe's or Home Depot so that I can make payments. (it's terrible to have good credit and no money)

Rigid 14" $349.00 minus $35.00 promotion = $314.00

Delta 14" $429.00 minus 15% promotion = $364.65

This is my first bandsaw and I wish it could be a Rikon, Grizzly, Jet, etc. but I have to work within my budget

Doug Shepard
03-31-2007, 8:25 PM
The Delta would probably have a higher resale value if/when you ever upgrade, and 3rd party accesories are more likely to be available to fit the Delta vs the Rigid. My previous 14" BS was a Jet, so I dont have a particular allegiance to either but I'm under the general impression that there's more plastic in Rigid tools (dont know if that applies to their BS though) than I care for. Just my 2¢

Jim Becker
03-31-2007, 8:49 PM
Of the two, I'd probably opt for the Delta...more third party support and as Doug mentioned, likely better resale later.

Bart Leetch
03-31-2007, 9:50 PM
Delta all the same reasons already stated.

Bill Bolen
03-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Delta 4 sure. I might be wrong but I don't think the rigid will take a riser block if you need one later?

Karl Stewart
03-31-2007, 10:23 PM
I bought the Rigid for the lifetime warranty (except for blades)Table is good size and accepts Kreg fence. Riser blocks are an option, but I haven't seen the need. All the guides adjust well and blade changes are simple, as I'm sure the same with the Delta. I bought the mobile base ($60, but have seen it go for $30 occasionally). The only plastic seems to be the dust port and power switch, which is located in a good spot on the pole, except when I cut arms for my adirondack chairs. They are long and lotsa turns, which I seem to find that power switch with the tail often. Each time I do, I think I've busted a blade.

My only complaint is mounting the motor and installing the belt is is somewhat shoddy in design. They give you rubber bushings/ gaskets to help minimize vibration, but the method for lining up and ratcheting the bolts tight left me wanting a third hand. There must be a better way. I did the best I could, and it's been fine for 1+ year.

Good luck!

"Jason Belous"
03-31-2007, 10:28 PM
if you have good credit, you may want to consider going the way of getting a woodcraft card. I know they have zero interest same as cash for twelve months on all purchases and I think they are giving store credit on every dollar you spend on it. Your interest will be less than the big box stores and in the end you will end up with a better saw at the end of the day. Just my opinion but maby something you might wan't to look into.

Matt Meiser
03-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Not being the one who wants it, I would look around for an older used one. I bought an older US-made Delta/Rockwell saw from a classified ad in the paper for $250. If you can get by without it for a while, I'd start saving the cash and watching classifeds. If you can't, or don't want to wait, I'd get the Delta for the resale and aftermarket support.

Jack Ganssle
04-01-2007, 6:32 AM
John, I'm a Rigid fan, have a number of their tools, which are great. But the BS seems to lose in most evaluations. People complain that the wheels are sometimes unbalanced, and the stand is a bit wobbly.

The Delta is probably a better choice.

My plan is to get the Grizzly G0555X.

Jack

Richard Butler
04-01-2007, 6:49 AM
Delta...Take a look at the lower guide assy on each and you will know why I say Delta

Ron Blaise
04-01-2007, 7:17 AM
John:
Have you tried posting here for a reasonable used machine?

James Carmichael
04-01-2007, 7:24 AM
I own the Ridgid, my first BS, and I'd guess it's about what you'd expect for an entry-level saw for that price. I'm happy with it.

I dunno about 3rd party support being better for delta, anything that will fit the Jet/Taiwan-built saws works on the Ridgid.

Allen Bookout
04-01-2007, 9:46 AM
I have a Delta 14", last American made upper. I do not know if that makes a difference in quality or not but it cuts straight and there is no vibration. I installed a riser, a two hp motor and cool blocks and it is amazing what that thing will do with a good blade.
I guess that the point is that the Delta is good enough that you can upgrade it as time goes on if you need to and it will still work well.

I do not have any experience with the Ridgid bandsaw.

Brad Townsend
04-01-2007, 9:55 AM
I have to buy at Lowe's or Home Depot so that I can make payments. I'm not sure what kind of payment options Sears could offer compared to the others, but the Craftsman 14" is really a very good saw. I've been very happy with mine and others have said likewise. Slightly more than your other two options (but occassionally in the $400 range on sale).

John W. Willis
04-01-2007, 11:39 PM
I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. As usual each of you have given me some things to think about. Things that I just wouldn't know or think about.

It never ceases to amaze me the depth and breadth of your knowledge and experience.

Thanks!

glenn bradley
04-02-2007, 8:29 AM
Delta. That saw is such a staple in so many shops and there are so many aftermarket goodies that fit "the Delta 14" and others".

Kelly C. Hanna
04-02-2007, 8:29 AM
Delta hands down...I stopped buying Ridgid when thy changed colors [read changed manufacturers].

Kurt T. Kneller
04-02-2007, 12:17 PM
I think you should look at the rigid woodworking forums.
I have seen alot of posts with complaints about set-up, balance and quality. I think you would be better off with the delta.