PDA

View Full Version : Mission Style Night Stands

Michael Pfau
03-31-2007, 7:57 PM
Hello all, I thought I would share with you what I have been up to lately, I am beginning a 5 piece bedroom set, mission style. The night stands are the first project. I am very pleased how they came out! Can't wait for the rest of the set to be built. QTR sawn white oak, the finish is danish oil, dark walnut, and several coats of wipe on poly, then wax. A headboard is next, I will post when done, thanks for looking!

Tom Young
03-31-2007, 8:11 PM
Hello all, I thought I would share with you what I have been up to lately, I am beginning a 5 piece bedroom set, mission style. The night stands are the first project. I am very pleased how they came out! Can't wait for the rest of the set to be built. QTR sawn white oak, the finish is danish oil, dark walnut, and several coats of wipe on poly, then wax. A headboard is next, I will post when done, thanks for looking!
Michael,

Great work on the night stands. You have every reason to be pleased with the outcome. I'll be looking forward seeing the rest of the set.

Tom

Von Bickley
03-31-2007, 8:12 PM
Great looking night stands, great looking dovetails and great looking wood.

You gotta love that QSWO....;)

Jim Becker
03-31-2007, 8:54 PM
Those look great, Michael! The whole bedroom set is going to be outstanding based on these nightstands... :)

Dan Drager
03-31-2007, 9:00 PM
Well Done. Micheal. I made a few similar ones a few years back. Your's a re much nicer.

Charles Jackson III
03-31-2007, 9:04 PM
Very nice nightstands.

Don Bullock
04-01-2007, 12:43 AM
Beautiful work Michael. I'll be looking for the rest of the set. A Mission Style bedroom set is already on my "to do" list. It's great to see what others have done because it helps me finalize my design.

Reg Mitchell
04-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Michael you should be very proud of those. Did you use plans from a mag or out of the gray matter. I would like to have a set of those to go with the remodle I am getting ready to do to the upstairs of my home
Reg

Thomas Smith
04-01-2007, 1:13 AM
Very nice!

jonathan snyder
04-01-2007, 1:19 AM
Michael,

Very nice! How did you finish them?

Jonathan

Dick Rowe
04-01-2007, 5:31 AM
Nice job Michael!

I started creating that same bedroom set last year with the nightstands and bed. They are a lot of fun to build, and I really enjoy working with QSWO.

I recently completed the chest/dresser. (Actually made two of 'em). They are 'beasts', and I had to reward my neighbor who helped me haul them from the basement shop to the second floor bedroom with plenty of brews.

The only major deviation to the plans that I made was to eliminate the corbels .. I like them, but my wife doesn't. You know who won that battle!

The attached pictures are just after completing all the woodworking prior to disassembly and final finish.

Construction note: One thing I discovered if you plan on building these chests .. in the picture from the Wood magazine plans, the drawer pulls on the small drawers line up with the pulls on the big drawers, which looks good to me. If you follow the plans exactly, the big drawer pulls are offset about an inch or so. Luckily I caught it after only drilling one hole in a big drawer face. Unfortunantly the hardware doesn't cover the 'oops' ... DAMHIKT.

61550 61551

Michael Pfau
04-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Michael you should be very proud of those. Did you use plans from a mag or out of the gray matter. I would like to have a set of those to go with the remodle I am getting ready to do to the upstairs of my home
Reg Wood magazine...browse through 2004 and 05. the complete set was in several issues.

Michael Pfau
04-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Wood magazine...browse through 2004 and 05. the complete set was in several issues. They look great! Did you build them 2 at a time?..thats what I am going to do..also headboard, and hope chest as well..thanks for sharing your pictures with us..

Mike Hill
04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Michael: Very nice work and the QSWO makes it really authentic. Just got a book on Mission Furniture and will have to plan a project around this style of furniture. Great job and I know you will enjoy them for years.
Mike