PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Toxicity

Tom Keen
03-31-2007, 7:56 PM
Ive got a large pile of black walnut that Im going to start turning. Ive been cautioned about walnut being toxic to plants and flowers, but I would like to use the shaving for mulch where I can.

Where can I use it? Around trees?

Thanks!

Leo Pashea
03-31-2007, 8:13 PM
Black Walnut does have the compound Juglone, but most of the chemical is contained in the roots. You are able to use the shaving for mulch around trees. It could contain a small amount of Juglone, and for that reason, many advise against using it for mulching vegetables, and as a rule, you never use Black Walnut shavings for bedding for animals.

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2007, 9:41 PM
I agree with Leo. Never use it for animal bedding but I use it around my tree's only for bedding.

Curt Fuller
03-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Tom I can't give you any good mulching info with walnut but I would caution you to be aware of any skin or breathing reactions from turning it. It's the only wood I've turned that I've had any noticeable reaction too. It seems to throw tiny splinters into my hands that break out into a wierd pimply rash after a few hours. And if I don't wear a mask it makes me cough for a few days. I still turn it because there aren't many woods that I think are prettier. But I wear gloves (some say that's a no no too) and a mask whenever I work with it.

George Tokarev
04-01-2007, 6:30 AM
Trees would probably be allright. It's pretty acid and nasty stuff, in addition to which it does what all decaying shavings do, steals nitrogen to help decay. As long as you're mulching to kill weeds, these are great qualities. I keep the kids supplied with cherry shavings for their evergreen bedding, but they also do a decent job of weed control under the electric fence, too.

Horse people don't want 'em as you know, because of the foundering problem. Give them the maple and birch, and request return after the horses are done. Then you can compost the wood with the additional nitrogen, though if they're slow to clean the stall, you may want to mix some more shavings in to keep the pile from burning.

John H. Wirth
04-01-2007, 4:55 PM
Since the time I saw a turner friends ornamental trees die after he had mulched with a good quantity of black walnut chips I have always put mine in the yard debris recycling can for pick up by our garbage hauler. There has been too much work to get our plantings up and going...I'm taking no chances!

Reed Gray
04-01-2007, 5:39 PM
I also think Black (and English for that matter) is a beautiful wood. When I turn it, I do wear a mask, even though it is wet, and there is no dust. I can turn one or 2 bowls without any problems, but if I am turning several, I will wear the mask. Exposure over a whole day does bother me. English doesn't. I did cut one stump burl, English on top, and black at the graft, stump. I got blisters on one hand from it. Never had that happer before or after.
robo hippy

Cory Martin
04-01-2007, 8:46 PM
I can tell you for sure it will kill a flower bed pretty rapidly. The wife took some shavings from the planer last year and put them in one of her flower beds and it began to die within a couple of weeks before we found out the problem.

Tom Keen
04-02-2007, 7:16 AM
Thanks for the advise! I think I will use it to mulch around the perimeter of the property where the japanese honeysuckle likes to grow... might help keep some of it in check..

I love the way walnut look and feels.. and my family is looking forward to some walnut bowls and boxes, but I find its kinda nasty to turn compared to alot of woods. But, I have tons of it..literally. We harvested 20 very large old walnuts this winter and are collecting the tops, butts and odd pieces that couldnt be sawed. Thats a topic for another thread: what to do with all this wood thats to good for firewood.. anyone got a big old lathe they want to swap for a few tons of walnut and cherry blanks? :)

Thanks again for the advise about the shavings!