PDA

View Full Version : Question for Pen Turners ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-28-2003, 12:16 PM
I have a ShopSmith that I'm currently turning on and I have the drill chuck for the shaft. Is this adequate for holding the mandrel for pen turning or do I need something else? It has the standard tailstock with the stationary center. Will this work also? I'm taking a class at Woodcraft this weekend and if all goes well, I want to get some kits a little later to do. I've done a lot of bowls and spindle projects, but am just now getting to pens. Any feedback is greatly appeciated.

Thanks,
Ron

John Showler
02-28-2003, 12:52 PM
Yup, a drill chuck will work very well. The "dead" center though wouldn't. I mean, yes it will work, but there will be a lot of friction build up there. Do yourself a favor and get a live center. Grizzly has lots of them for decent prices.

One problem to watch out for: using any kind of mandrel long enough to do both parts of the pen at once. I've found that for the average 7mm mandrel, you can easily bend it by over-thrusting the live center, or just from pushing on it with a tool while turning.

The result is an eliptical barrel, which will show when you go to press the fittings on. That REALLY bugs me!

I have a collet mandrel from Woodcraft, which allows me to slide the mandrel shaft into the collet and only work on one half at a time. This prevents alot of mandrel deflection, and gives me very nice round parts. I am still looking to improve my technique or something so that I can do both pieces at the same time but with out deflecting the barrels and creating eliptical centers.

Have fun,

John Showler in NJ

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-28-2003, 2:52 PM
I'll look and see if I can find a live center. Sounds good to me. Thanks for the tips. I usually keep an eye on Ken S. postings to get good information.

Ken Salisbury
02-28-2003, 2:59 PM
Originally posted by Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
I'll look and see if I can find a live center. Sounds good to me. Thanks for the tips. I usually keep an eye on Ken S. postings to get good information.

Ron, I didn't reply because John Showler gave you the right answer. No need in me chiming in. John is an expert pen maker

Steve K
02-28-2003, 6:59 PM
I also use a shopsmith for my pens and while the drill chuck will work there's a good chance there is more runout it in than a mandrel holder would have. I went to a local machine shop and had one made. I think it was probably less than $10.00 but it's been a few years so I'm not real sure. Shopsmith does make a live center but any center with #3(I think) morse taper will work. I Believe sears sells one in their tool department.
Steve (http://www2.fwi.com/~krumy)

Michael Cody
02-28-2003, 7:58 PM
Originally posted by Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
I have a ShopSmith that I'm currently turning on and I have the drill chuck for the shaft. Is this adequate for holding the mandrel for pen turning or do I need something else? It has the standard tailstock with the stationary center. Will this work also? I'm taking a class at Woodcraft this weekend and if all goes well, I want to get some kits a little later to do. I've done a lot of bowls and spindle projects, but am just now getting to pens. Any feedback is greatly appeciated.

Thanks,
Ron

You can definently use a jacobs chuck style mandrel but you need a live center or you will chew things up bad..

I recommend however you pop $27.50 or so and buy the Woodcraft Professional mandrel. I've found it to be very good in all aspects and it can use anyones mandrels (I prefer Berea Hardware's - they are bigger). It also lets you adjust length so you can do away with spacers, etc.. to get all the threaded parts to tighten down. Check out the link...

WoodCraft Pro Mandrel (http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=1608&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10000%26Tree%3D%2CDepar tments&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1056%26menu%5Fid%3D%26T ree%3D0%2CPen%20Kits&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D2291%26menu%5Fid%3D%26T ree%3D1%2CBushings%2C%20Bits%2C%20Mandrels%2C%20et c%2E&Gift=False&mscssid=F824532E9C6D453E91A035B0C5B9BCA0)

Steve K
02-28-2003, 8:15 PM
Mike, there is no doubt that is a good setup but unfortunately it probably won't work with a shopsmith. Unlike most lathes the drive spur or mandrel holder on a shopsmith attaches with a female fitting instead of a morse taper setup. Exactly the reason I had to have one custom made. Maybe by now shopsmith offers one, I really don't know for sure.

Terry Hatfield
02-28-2003, 8:24 PM
Hey Ron......

Can't wait to see how you fix your first blown up pen blank with a piece of mirror!!!!!:D

Terry

Joe Suelter
02-28-2003, 9:28 PM
Originally posted by Steve K
I also use a shopsmith for my pens and while the drill chuck will work there's a good chance there is more runout it in than a mandrel holder would have. I went to a local machine shop and had one made. I think it was probably less than $10.00 but it's been a few years so I'm not real sure. Shopsmith does make a live center but any center with #3(I think) morse taper will work. I Believe sears sells one in their tool department.

The ShopSmith uses a #2 Morse taper...Sears does have a couple, that's where I got mine for my vintage 1947 ShopSmith 10ER. I only use it for a lathe now that I've replaced everything else with real equipment.
Thanks for posting this question, I was just looking through a catalog the other night and thought of this very question. I've never made any pens before, but keep on piling up the sraps to save for the day I do start. Guess it's time to order a mandrel. Maybe Ken or somebody could give us a list of all the parts & pieces we need??? I suppose I could go out and buy a book to read about it that would have all the necessary ingredients, but you all have done it at least a couple times!