PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 14" Band Saw - Adjusting Lower Wheel

Jeff Cord
03-31-2007, 6:33 PM
I'm on an "adjustment kick" and an trying to adjust my bandsaw wheels to make them co-planer.
My lower wheel is about 1/4" "behind" the upper wheel so I want to shim the lower wheel.
I've removed the retaining bolt on the lower wheel but have come to a roadblock.
The wheel doesn't come off easily and I don't want to force anything.
Anyone know how this wheel is supposed to come off?
thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Cord
03-31-2007, 8:15 PM
I figured it out. :o

Fred Findlay
03-31-2007, 8:17 PM
So, you're going to leave me hanging?????

Jeff Cord
03-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Just used a large screwdrive to "lever" the wheel off.
I was careful to lever against the hub of the wheel and not against the bearing.
Just levered very easily and the wheel slid off.
jeff

Fred Findlay
03-31-2007, 11:46 PM
So you got the lower wheel off and then did what to make it co-planer? I'm curious because I've put this off myself.

Ken Milhinch
04-01-2007, 4:15 AM
How old is this bandsaw ? There is no way a Powermatic leaves the factory with the wheels out that much.

Jeff Cord
04-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I just shimmed the wheel with a washer from my local hardware store.

The saw is only a couple months old but I put a riser block on it and that seems to have caused the wheels to go "out".
jeff

Kent Novick
04-01-2007, 3:16 PM
My PM had the same coplanar issues without the riser. There are well-documented problems with the riser blocks that made the problem worse. I was advised by WMH and local saw tech service folks not to remove and shim the lower wheel. Did they advise you differently?

At least some of these saws have the alignment problems right out of the box.

A little more info...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55152

Jeff Cord
04-01-2007, 4:02 PM
I had read those other threads and decided to shim it without their input.

Loren Hedahl
04-02-2007, 3:03 PM
This is what I call "remanufacturing" a new product.

There are products available that don't need such personal attention, but it boils down to whether you want to do-it-yourself, or pay up front for someone who cares to do it for you.

For a band saw, I would go for the do-it-yourself method.

Did you get a chance to check the wheels for run-out?

Also with a blade tensioned up, check that the upper guide tracks true, i.e., doesn't need to be adjusted whether all the way up or all the way down.

My experience is that even an inexpensive band saw can be made to cut true and straight, maybe even better than the ones the big boys use.

Loren

Jeff Cord
04-02-2007, 10:23 PM
I did check the wheels but with no blade (no tension).
Measured on the face of the rim the top wheel is .004" and the bottom wheel was about .013".
Jeff

Fred Findlay
04-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Can someone explain "run-out"?

Ken Milhinch
04-03-2007, 12:39 AM
My PM had the same coplanar issues without the riser. There are well-documented problems with the riser blocks that made the problem worse. I was advised by WMH and local saw tech service folks not to remove and shim the lower wheel. Did they advise you differently?

At least some of these saws have the alignment problems right out of the box.

A little more info...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55152

Kent, The only person on that thread who complains about their wheels not being coplanar is you, riser block issues notwithstanding. That is not to suggest that I don't believe you, but I believe it would be the exception rather than the rule for a Powermatic product to be that far out on leaving the factory. Adding a riser block may well create a whole new set of issues, and apparently PM did have problems with them, but "alignment problems right out of the box" seems to be rare.

Kent Novick
04-03-2007, 1:37 AM
Ken,
Yes, those problems may be, and hopefully are, rare. That is why I mentioned that maybe I just had some bad luck. All combinations of 2 upper arms, 3 riser blocks and one base (WMH ruled out the base as an issue) that I had could not be made to work by some very experienced technical folks sent over by WMH.

I'm just trying to relate my experience with the product. I'm sure that others have had very positive ones.

Ken Milhinch
04-03-2007, 3:38 AM
No problem, I just thought that there was a tone of "widespread problem", and after the issues you had, I can understand your concern.

Ken Massingale
04-03-2007, 6:46 AM
I contacted Powermatic about this since I was deciding between the Powermatic with riser and a Rikon. Here is their reply, make out of it as you wish:

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your e-mail. There is a resolution to this issue. When you
install the riser block, you have to align to upper and lower frame
before you tighten the bolt all the way.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.