PDA

View Full Version : Starrett

Steve Roxberg
03-31-2007, 5:16 PM
Starrett 505A-12 ProSite 12-Inch Dial Protractor

You know how Amazon has crazy prices sometimes.

They have this Protractor by Starrett, which lists for $95, and most vendors are selling for $65 dollars on sale, with free shipping for

$35

I was considering one, they look really nice and that's a great price.

Doug Shepard
04-06-2007, 7:23 AM
Thanks for the alert. I've had that on my Nice-To-Have list for a while but couldn't pass it up at that price. Mine showed up yesterday. I'm still puzzling over the instructions printed on it though, with the whole red-dial/red-pointer vs black for multiple vs single cuts. I get that the readings are just the complementary angle from each other but cant quite determine what those directions are getting at. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Mario Lucchesi
04-06-2007, 7:35 AM
Thank you very much for the heads up on this, I will have to see if I can latch on to one this morning.

Thank you.

Chuck Saunders
04-06-2007, 8:20 AM
Hi Doug,
I got mine a couple of days ago and I am with you. I think that there is a lot of extra marking on the dial considering that all it is doing is dividing by 2. I think it would be cleaner if they just left the red off.

I made the mistake and ordered the sheath for it, what a cheap piece of junk vinyl, reminds me of the dimestore cowboy set.

As for the protractor, $35 is about what it is worth. I was disappointed that the marking was just printed and not etched. Once the numbers wear off I have a nice bevel gage to go with my $6 Stanleys.