PDA

View Full Version : VS Motor on Mini-Lathe - Addendum

Mark Kauder
12-22-2003, 4:51 PM
After a couple more week of using the cheap VS motor on the Jet-Mini, I thought I would give everyone an update.

I have not changed anything since I posted the original, and everything is going good. I have been turning a large number (for me) of Christmas Ornaments and Bottle stoppers, as well as working on a couple of new bowls. A couple of days ago, I pulled the cover off of the motor, and there was almost no dust on the controller or in the motor. So, the fan is working to not only cool the controller, but also keeping the dust out of the motor.

I recently bought a couple more of these motor/controllers. Over the last couple of nights, I have installed one of them on my cheap ($100) freight sale drill press. Problem was, the motor turned the wrong direction. I had heard the this motor could be reversed, but I did not want to possibly fry the controller by playing too much with the wiring. So, I emailed Randall McKinney at Vega, and he called me and explained how to do it. All you have to do, is remove the motor from the mount, and on the end of the motor opposite the shaft, you reverse the Black and Yellow wires. Both are connected by spade connectors, so it only takes a few seconds. So, now the drill press is working great - much stronger than the "3/4hp" that it originally came with. Now, I will probably re-wire the Lathe so that I can reverse it for sanding.

I am contemplating using the third motor for a Varible Speed Grinder, and or Buffer.

Mark