PDA

View Full Version : Walnut and Cherry End Table just completed

Mike Hill
03-31-2007, 4:32 PM
Here are pictures of a Walnut and Cherry inlaid End Table I built for my wife. Finish is Lacquer (about 5 or 6 coats) and again I used Paraffin Oil, 600 grit wet dry and in this case a final rubbing with paraffin oil and Rotten stone. Originally this was to be pure Shaker, but for some reason I jazzed it up a bit with the inlay and chamfered edge. We had a place in the hall near the A.C. and air duct we wanted to cover up.

Mike

Ralph Okonieski
03-31-2007, 4:55 PM
Very, very beautiful. Inlay really sets it off nicely. Very well done!

Gary Breckenridge
03-31-2007, 4:57 PM
;) Very nice. I love walnut and cherry together.;)

Roy Wall
03-31-2007, 5:51 PM
Mike -

Beautiful job.......the table looks fantastic!!!

Tell me more about this "paraffin oil wet sanding".......do you just work with the grain and get a "slurry" up....? wipe dry?

Karin Voorhis
03-31-2007, 5:59 PM
very nice show qualiity work!!!! Thanksfor sharing

Mike Hill
03-31-2007, 6:25 PM
Mike -

Beautiful job.......the table looks fantastic!!!

Tell me more about this "paraffin oil wet sanding".......do you just work with the grain and get a "slurry" up....? wipe dry?

Roy: Like all finishing things, it depends on how good you did before doing this :-)

There is a great book by Bob Flexnor and another by Jeff Jewitte on finishing . Basically I read those and the process is:

Sand down to 220 grit finish when you have filled all the pours.

Then sand with 360 and finally 600 grit wet dry lubricated with paraffin oil. When you wipe it off and it is smooth, then go to paraffin oil and Rotten Stone.

You can also do many other grades of pumice/abrasives, but quite frankly if you want something better or more polished than Rotten Stone, I am not the guy to talk to.

I think learning to finish is the toughest part of wood working. I am getting close, but not nearly satisfied yet.
Mike

Corey Hallagan
03-31-2007, 6:56 PM
Nice work Mike, I am sure your wife loves it and the inlay looks great!! I am sure this will pave the way for those tools you still need .... :)

corey

Irvin Cooper
03-31-2007, 7:49 PM
Beatuiful Work, Mike. She should be proud.

Irv

Jim Becker
03-31-2007, 8:55 PM
Beautiful piece, Mike.

Mike Hill
03-31-2007, 9:25 PM
Jim: I always look forward to your comments. This piece is made just about 11 months after I started woodworking. I would give it an 8 if you saw it up close. Still looking for that 10!
Mike

Don Bullock
04-01-2007, 12:35 AM
That's a beautiful table Mike. Congratulations on a job well done. The inlay really sets it off and the dovetail work is great. I'm interested in trying your finishing technique. It turned out fantastic on the walnut. For someone who's only been doing this a short time, you definately have the talent.

Brett Baldwin
04-01-2007, 2:29 AM
Handsome table there Mike.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-01-2007, 8:06 AM
That is a great execution. I like the legs. They are refined and elegant while remaining true shaker. The inlay in the top deserves more some close ups.
Really nice piece !!

Luis Oliveira
04-01-2007, 8:50 AM
WOW Mike, very nice job and beatiful finish.

Jeffrey Makiel
04-01-2007, 9:14 AM
Mike...looks fabulous! Nice job on the inlay work. The cherry and walnut compliment each other nicely.
-Jeff :)

Neil Lamens
04-01-2007, 9:43 AM
Hi Mike:

Beautiful............I was glad to read that you intended one style, but decided to "jazz" it up a bit. That decision making within the building/design process is probably the most important thing you learned on this piece.........COOL!!!!.........and one more thing.....I noticed you mentioned looking for that "10"......when you find it, your scale will move up to 10.5!!!!

GOOD WORK Man!!!!!!.........Neil

Hans Braul
04-01-2007, 7:00 PM
I love it. Elegant, light, and tasty. Nice job on the inlay!

Congrats
Hans

lou sansone
04-02-2007, 4:52 AM
nice job with the table. I do wonder how the inlay is going to hold up though. you have a pretty wide plank on the top and have a cross grain construction with the inlay. keep an eye on it over the next year and let us know how it does. best wishes
lou

Mike Hill
04-02-2007, 7:56 AM
Lou: Good Question. It is 3/8" wide and is solid Cherry I planed down to 1/8" thick. I intend to do a lot of this and eventually sell something with an Inlay. Since this will stay in our home, it will allow me to watch it. We will see what happens :) I also just read an article on "string" inlays. Similar to what you see on Federal Furniture. Want to give that a try one of these days soon.

Mike

glenn bradley
04-02-2007, 8:16 AM
Elegant piece. Great spot for it. I love the contrasting woods.

Charles Wilson
04-02-2007, 9:25 AM
Nice job on the inlays.

Chuck