PDA

View Full Version : Just got the Bosch and the Rigid

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-31-2007, 4:15 PM
Iwas at the Borg with a couple of gift cards in hand and a yen for the Bosch Jig saw. I walked out with the Bosh D Handle jig saw a Rigid combo fixed and plunge router and the new little $40.00 Dremel.

I really like the Bosch right out of the gate. The plate angle adjustment is easy and when set it holds firmly and you can make it more firm with a knob.

The glade guide is far, far superior to my old work horse Makita. It actually guides the blade. I never had a saw that blew the dust out of the way and it’s sort of nice not an air gun by any means but it’s OK. There is a nice tempered steel wire blade guard in front of the blade. It doesn’t seem like it’ll ever be in the way.

The power is very good at all speeds. I ran it through some 2” thick Maple and it seemed to have no issues at all with cutting straight or turning. The finish of the Bosh branded blades is far, far superior to anything I have used prior. It’s the same as FesTerTool’s “finish quality cut.” At least from what I’ve seen of the Fester in the shows.

I have been on the fence between the Bosch and the FesTerTool. I think I made the better choice because I don’t much care about dust collection ( one look at my shop would tell anyone that) and the price delta just can’t get me to buy the fester: $159 compared to $279

I really like the Bosch. I won't regret this purchase.

The Riged was a default. I wanted another router. I wanted the PC plunge router. They didn’t have any. I got to looking at the Rigid. It was cheap enough. It’s well built, pretty solid, has nice a soft start, a nice well made pair of collets that are very much like PC’s in quality and style. The depth stop seemed OK. The depth stop and the collet are the cheesiest things about my Triton. The Rigid’s base swap seemed easy enough and I rather liked the all metal micro depth adjustment. OK so I’ll get one.

I really like the Ridged router. I am comparing it to My PC 690, and it compares well, very well. I also have a Triton 3.25-HP, and a Crapsman with those famous police siren bearings. The Ridged is in the same class as the Porter Cable. It’s smooth, strong, stable, not too noisy, has two really slick and bright LEDS to light your way. It has a nice thick clear plastic base you can see through. One base is has a hole that is large enough to use those larger diameter profile cutters the other is made to take the PC style bushings. The collet was the one thing I held out for I wasn’t going to buy another router with a crappy collet. The guy got me a box and opened it up. I took it apart and was very impressed. Got it home and ran it across some maple and pine. It did great !!
I am going to enjoy using this little machine. The handles are great the lock on the plunge base works flawlessly. The motor is strong and fairly quiet and the speed control is infinitely variable. The depth stop is plastic and adjusts in 1/64” increment snap clicks – the snap clicks are plenty distinct and firm. There is no mistaking when you pass one. I am no fan of plastic parts but brand spanking new it seems to work pretty well. We’ll see what it does in a couple years.

The Dremel is - - well it’s a Dremel it’s small and turns stuff round really fast.

I got a deal to boot. I got $75.00 right at the cash register.

Carson Saunders
03-31-2007, 4:34 PM
Small world...I just got the Ridgid combo today as well. I haven't had much of a chance to use it (kids and all). I managed to play with it for a bit and liked what I saw. Its my first router so I have nothing to compare it too, but I'm really excited to put it to use as soon as I can. I have a project that will require lots of dadoes and rabbets, so I'll put it through its paces soon enough.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-31-2007, 4:37 PM
Its my first router so I have nothing to compare it too, but I'm really excited to put it to use as soon as I can. I have a project that will require lots of dadoes and rabbets, so I'll put it through its paces soon enough.

You'll like it. Iwas happily impressed.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-06-2007, 8:47 AM
While routing the edges for a set of my version of the Adirondack chair/lounge I had all three of my routers humming away. It was the first time I had the PC 690 and the Ridgid running at once giving me an opportunity to make some comparisons.

The PC switch is hard to access and it is not easy to tell if it’s on or off before you plug it in. That stupid plastic dust shield instead of a dust proof switch was a mistake – so to the tiny switch. It’s also hard to find when don’t with a pass. This switch has annoyed me since the first time I used the router.

The Ridgid switch is big and easy to see find and operate. I like it way better.

The PC is noisier than the Ridged. Lots noisier.

The Ridgid’s Fixed base depth adjustment is way far better than the PC’s giving more control and fine adjustment.

The Ridgid has a push button collet lock The PC does not.

They both have smooth fairly vibration free operating characteristics and great balance.

They are both plenty powerful.

I haven’t dropped either on the concrete floor yet so I can’t address sturdiness

Now the only thing that can make the PC a better machine is the Guts: the bearings the windings and brushes. I won’t know about that till they start breaking down.

The PC wrenches fit thr Ridgid.