PDA

View Full Version : Plane sole out-of-flat

Doug Mason
03-31-2007, 4:13 PM
I just noticed my LN #4 Smoother plane has a sole that's off by about 1/32 at one corner--I can definately see the gap when it's placed on a flat surface (today is my first notice of it); the plane is only a couple years old. It did have a nasty fall--about 4 feet to a concrete floor about six months ago. So I am curious as to what is the primary reason the sole's on metal planes go out-of-flat?

Bob Smalser
03-31-2007, 4:52 PM
They go out of flat because of wear. When they were never flat to begin with, it's because the castings weren't formulated or cured properly and they warp after machining. Often you see both in an old plane that was never fettled to begin with.

I kick Stanleys off of scaffolds regularly and they don't go out of flat. For what you paid, you should send it back....If it's cast iron, I don't believe you are responsible. If it's bronze, it coulda bent....bronze is soft.

Mike K Wenzloff
03-31-2007, 5:13 PM
Bronze is soft--but the ductile iron LN uses has give as well. Better than 'em breaking I suspect.

I had a Stanley Sweetheart era #4 accidently go off the end of a bench when I was moving stuff over and cracked when it hit the floor.

Contact LN and see what they'll do for you.

Take care, Mike

Ron Brese
03-31-2007, 7:55 PM
Wear is the primary reason, but if it's only a couple years old it should not be showing a lot of wear whether it's bronze or cast iron. As far as the fall is concerned it may have just peened up the corner that you see the gap under. I would put it on a float glass platen with some wet,dry sandpaper and see of the scratch pattern is even everywhere except on the corner. If it is the plane should work fine. I've had my bronze #4 for quite a few years and it gets used 5 days a week most weeks and it still shows a even scratch pattern every time I check it.

Ron

Martin Cash
03-31-2007, 10:29 PM
Doug,
LN gives a lifetime guarantee with their products.
I can't imagine a ductile cast iron or bronze plane doing this. Contact Lie Nielsen, they have a great reputation for customer and product support.
Regards
MC:):):)

Mike K Wenzloff
03-31-2007, 11:06 PM
I can't imagine a ductile cast iron or bronze plane doing this.
I have tweaked an iron LN plane by it slipping out of my hands and landing on the floor on a corner. It was the large scraper I was using to scrape some beams while on scaffolding. Just bent the corner up a little. A bit of sanding took it out for the most part.

It happens.

Take care, Mike

Doug Mason
04-01-2007, 2:29 AM
It is the LN #4 Bronze Smoother. There is no question it is out-of-flat--I could detect it w/my eye (it's off in one corner--like a twisted board). I'll call LN on Monday and see what they say.

Clinton Findlay
04-01-2007, 6:57 AM
about 4 feet to a concrete floor about six months ago

If the 'warp' is only in one corner, as you say, then I'd say the fall was the culprit.

If so, I personally wouldn't expect a replacement at LN expense, not when its my 'rough handling' that caused the damage.

If you mark the sole with a permanent marker pen and give the plane a slide over some sandpaper, as per Rons suggestion.... if its only in the corner then it won't affect use.

Joel Goodman
04-01-2007, 12:13 PM
I recently dealt with LN on a service issue and they were fantastic. Go to their web site and drop them an email -- you'll get fast help!

Joel