PDA

View Full Version : Bar stools finished..zebrano amd stanillessano

Mark Singer
03-31-2007, 2:23 PM
I completed the barstools! It was a fun project...nice to do this kind of work once in a while...I wanted to thank Mark Singer! Without his help this would not have been possible:rolleyes: ...Its the inner voice I am trying to keep him under control...
The design is a lot like my others except the seat is moulded to the shape of a persons...(I won't say who) behind.:rolleyes:

Finsh is Daly's Ben matte wet sanded to 400 grit...
The shapes vary a little as hand built furniture should...."close enough for government work" as my Dad used to say...:rolleyes:

The defined ridge and characteristic triangle are inspired by Nakishima and Maloof seats....we have a couple of gorditoS amigos they may have to stand:eek:

Mark Singer
03-31-2007, 2:26 PM
a few more pics and thanks to all that helped with refreshments....wine and all:rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
03-31-2007, 4:00 PM
Beautiful and outstanding come to mind Mark.!!!! Very, very nice. :cool: :D

Joe Unni
03-31-2007, 4:38 PM
Just beautiful Mark!

I can't even tell you how inspired I get looking at your work.

Thank you,
-joe

Roy Wall
03-31-2007, 5:46 PM
Extremeleo perfecto......

Mark Singer
03-31-2007, 7:33 PM
Thanks guys! There is a problem...I can't get out of the barstool because of the suction effect....I am walking around the house with a barstool attached to my behind:rolleyes:

Ted Calver
03-31-2007, 7:40 PM
Mark,
Don't worry. I've heard that Shlamaca can be used as a release agent!!:)

Jack Dickey
03-31-2007, 7:42 PM
Nice Mark , looks like you used Peacock as your model ...

Jeffrey Makiel
03-31-2007, 7:44 PM
Mark,
Is this a woodworking project or a carving project? :)

Looks great. I like the contemporary design. Well done again!

I like Zebrawood, but it doesn't like me. Major sinus issues for me. It's like working with a bad head cold, but the wood has a wonderful look.

-Jeff :)

Roy McQuay
03-31-2007, 9:09 PM
Thanks guys! There is a problem...I can't get out of the barstool because of the suction effect....I am walking around the house with a barstool attached to my behind:rolleyes::) Yea, but is it comfortable ? Nice job, they look comfortable.

Jim Becker
03-31-2007, 9:32 PM
Nice...I can't wait to try them out. :D I just need to find a customer nearby Laguna Beach on the left-coast to "entertain"...definitely doable... ;)

Terry Fogarty
03-31-2007, 9:41 PM
Beautifull stools Mark :D I have done a few sculptured seats and they are time consumming. How did you do yours as they are very crisp and clean. Top stuff:D

Roy Wall
03-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys! There is a problem...I can't get out of the barstool because of the suction effect....I am walking around the house with a barstool attached to my behind:rolleyes:

That is easily fixed with a series of holes drilled thru.....to relieve suction...:eek:

peter slamp
03-31-2007, 11:53 PM
Just beautiful Mark!

I can't even tell you how inspired I get looking at your work.

Thank you,
-joe

Ditto! ;)

Don Bullock
04-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Another Mark Singer masterpiece, but this time there are four of them.

BTW -- Mark, thank you for the referral to Eagle Tools. I am going over there the Tuesday of my Easter Break to purchase a SawStop from them. Ricky Yu has been fantastic. I've been communicating with him by email for several weeks. They are making the decision to buy from them a very easy one.:D

John Michaels
04-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Very impressive Mark!! What kind of wood is that?

I grew up in southern California, and my dad owned a very modern house in Redlands for awhile. Every time I see one of your creations I always think how neat they would look in that house. Great Job.

Mark Singer
04-01-2007, 2:12 AM
One critical tool for this type of sculpture is a directional light source. If it is incident to the surface all the uneven areas will be evident...this helps to refine he work to a higher degree...
Thanks for all the coments. A coffee table will be next....with some pointers on wood movement

Earl Kelly
04-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Mark,

Almost missed the finished product. Really love the way the sculpting twists and undulates the striping in the Zebrawood. I like the way it contrasts against the SS bases.

How's the balance? Are they top heavy or does the SS base offset the thick top? They appear pretty balanced.

Did you check into those Galahad carbide cutters?

Mark Singer
04-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Mark,

Almost missed the finished product. Really love the way the sculpting twists and undulates the striping in the Zebrawood. I like the way it contrasts against the SS bases.

How's the balance? Are they top heavy or does the SS base offset the thick top? They appear pretty balanced.

Did you check into those Galahad carbide cutters?

I ordered a few and Arthur is sending me a few to demo
Thanks...Balance is very good!

Bruce Page
04-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Mark, beautiful work as usual! I don’t know where you find the time!

Tom Sontag
04-02-2007, 2:13 AM
Is there another thread were you discuss the metalwork? Or are the stands premade by someone else? The tops blend nicely; bravo!

Kelly C. Hanna
04-02-2007, 8:28 AM
Outstanding design Mark...course I have come to expect that from you. I love the wood's grain!!

jeremy levine
04-02-2007, 8:34 AM
Next time wear pants :D

PS - Great work

Tim Martin
04-02-2007, 8:48 AM
Top work Mark. Very cool lines.:cool:

I assume there are some S/steel tabs welded to the frame to fix the timber to?

John Miliunas
04-02-2007, 8:56 AM
As always, wonderful "work", Mark! (I know...I know...It's NOT "work" to you! :D ) Beautifully done and love the design. 'Nuther winner, my friend! :) :cool:

Mark Singer
04-02-2007, 9:26 AM
Is there another thread were you discuss the metalwork? Or are the stands premade by someone else? The tops blend nicely; bravo!
A freind of mine , Frank smart makes the stailess bases

Rich Torino
04-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Mark,
the finished product is just outstanding.... My hat's off to the creative design you put into all your work..

Ron Hedrick
04-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Wow, those are really beautiful!

Zahid Naqvi
04-02-2007, 11:15 AM
suberb! as always

Mark Singer
04-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks for your kind words...I must be honest though. The zebra wood is actually a plastic wood that looks like zebra and is actually an exotic version of Trex..... man made decking.....upon heating the material in the oven and placing on a hard surface....you just sit in it and it molds to your individual shape! This is easy fast and makes you look like a great , talented woodworker and all you need is the skill to bake cookies (from a mix no less) and someting to sit on.....which most of us have! Now thats using your head:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
04-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Um, Mark...this is 2 April...not the first! :D

Mark Singer
04-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Um, Mark...this is 2 April...not the first! :D
You can fool some of the woodworkers some of the time....huh...I had my dates wrong:confused: Great idea for molded seats and BBQ'd butts though!

Jim Becker
04-02-2007, 11:45 AM
That would be kinda like the "Three Bears" versions of the stools, however, Mark...but it could be fun setting up a custom fabrication operation for guests... :D

Tom Henry
04-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Hey Mark, how long did you have to sit on that wood to get such a good impression? :eek: :p