PDA

View Full Version : Mobility of 20" planers

robert cohen
03-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Are those beasts easy to move around? How are the built in casters? Do you need a mobile base instead?

Looking to decide between a Grizzly and POWERMATIC. i'M LEANING TO pm BUT IF gRIZLLY is more mobile I may get that.

Michael Handrinos
03-31-2007, 11:47 AM
I have a 20" PM and it only has wheels built in. Meaning they don't swivel at all. It can only roll back and forth. Bought a base for it. My buddy has a Yorkie and it swivels and has a caster on the front that has a foot lever so he can move it real easy.

BTW. I just read a reply to your last post. About CS at PM. I have a PM jointer too and needed a couple of parts. Called and they were very helpful. They sent the parts, didn't even asked when the machine was bought or charge me for them even though I offered!

Mike

Ken Garlock
03-31-2007, 1:35 PM
Hi Robert.

You might take a look at the Yorkcraft (http://www.wilkemachinery.com/default.tpl?action=full&cart=11138720644866&--eqskudatarq=2536). There is a good chance that it is the same as the Grizzly but with different paint and logo. And it is $200 cheaper.

robert cohen
03-31-2007, 3:23 PM
The Yorkie is the same but when I priced shipping with liftgate, that was the deal breaker.

robert cohen
04-01-2007, 1:11 PM
Are the Grizlly and Yorkie difficult to move? Should I get a mobile base instead?

Jeff Kerr
04-01-2007, 9:40 PM
As so it happens, I had a grizzly 20" in my auction today. It had a mobile base but it was a lot easier to move than I thought when we used the forklift to get it in the buyers truck:D

Seriously, I have their 15" in my shop with the built in casters and it moves around just fine.