View Full Version : Mixing Jet Clamps with Besseys

Tim Malyszko
03-31-2007, 8:59 AM
I got the Rockler flyer on Thursday and they have 2 50" Jet K-body style clamps for $49. I really like the design of the Jet clamps and this is a great deal and gives me the opportunity to buy some good clamps locally instead of Amazon.com. My only concern is mixing Jet clamps with Bessey Clamps and slight size differences that may lead to alignment issues during glue-up.

Should I be worried about this and stay with Bessey's or go for the Jet's?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Becker
03-31-2007, 9:00 AM
There would be no alignment issues if you use the clamps with forethought...stick with combinations that don't cause the problem. Since like-sizes are usually used together, getting two or four of the Jet 50" clamps would cover you for that size without affecting your Bessey collection, etc.

Kyle Kraft
03-31-2007, 9:09 AM
I'd be careful leaving Jet with Bessey, things may get out of hand....if you know what I mean.

Neil Lamens
03-31-2007, 9:11 AM
Hey Tim:

Jim's right...........and over time, you won't even think twice about which clamp to use where. It'll become second nature in your assembly repitoire.

Mike Henderson
03-31-2007, 12:15 PM
I'd be careful leaving Jet with Bessey, things may get out of hand....if you know what I mean.
Do you mean he might wind up with a bunch of little Jesseys?:)

Mike

Don Bullock
03-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Do you mean he might wind up with a bunch of little Jesseys?:)

Mike

Now, that would be interesting! Maybe a great way to increase one's clam collection.:eek: :D

Brad Townsend
03-31-2007, 5:26 PM
I've heard that if you combine the two, you get something like this Harbor Freight mutation:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/93800-93899/93875.gif

Tim Malyszko
03-31-2007, 6:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll just take care not to get the besseys and the jets too close to each other so I don't wind up with unplanned Jessies.:D

Rob Blaustein
04-01-2007, 3:45 PM
I picked up 4 of the Jets at Rockler on sale for $100 (plus a bunch of little clamps in a bag, thrown in free) last Christmas. I love them--I have a bunch of Besseys too but I find the Jets a bit easier to use. And you know what they say about having too many clamps...

Michael Short
04-01-2007, 8:23 PM
I was at the Rockler store yesterday and came across the deal for the JET clamps. I picked up 4 of them. Still building a stockpile of clamps. Seems like you never have enough of them.

Paul Johnstone
04-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Here's a serious answer.

The "foot" of the jet clamp is slightly thicker than the besseys.

So when you clamp up a glueup and then stand it up on the foot (the end of the clamp without the crankdown handle), the besseys won't touch the ground. Not a huge deal, but a little planning is in order.

The Jet clamps will fit in the the Bessey K-blocks.

Ed Frie
04-02-2007, 6:34 PM
I have both, as well as some Jorgies, and I don't care which I grab, just the closest ones.

Rob Diz
04-03-2007, 5:12 PM
Can cats and dogs live together. Why yes, as long as you plan ahead and feed them regularly.

Seriously, I originally really liked the Jet clamps. They seemed really beefy and had massive jaws. I wiped down the shafts with a light coat of wax, just like I have done on all of my Bessys, to keep any glue from sticking.

I used the Jets very recently on some DT drawers, mostly because I'm paranoid about joints, not because they really needed to be clampled. In any event, I couldn't get one of the Jet's to grip the shaft. Apparently that very light coat of wax made it too slippery. Seems like a bit of flaw to me, or at least points out the advantage to the many different faces that the Bessys have to grip and stay in place.

YMMV, but I think I'll stick with the Bessys for now (although my rack runneth over).

Tom Cowie
04-03-2007, 9:59 PM
Well now I know how these little ones got here....:p

I like both Jet and Bessey maybe this can help some of you decide..Two 31" clamps..

Tom :)

Steve Clardy
04-03-2007, 10:06 PM
I've heard that if you combine the two, you get something like this Harbor Freight mutation:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/93800-93899/93875.gif

Oof :eek: :eek: :eek: :D