PDA

View Full Version : Top for Built in desk

Bob_Hammond
12-22-2003, 12:58 PM
I want to build a built-in desk/cabinet area to be a child's desk area. The space is U shaped about 10 feet wide, and the sides are about 67". I have a plan to build the cabinets, but I'm not sure about the top. I think that I want to make it a laminated top with hardwood edging, but this would require joining multiple pieces of lamination, and I've never done that. Is it hard to get a good seam?

Another thought I had was to maybe add some sort of divider (like a strip of hardwood) where the seams would be.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Bob

Jim Becker
12-22-2003, 1:24 PM
The "seams" in the Ikea modular office furniture I use here in my office have a slight round-over between the sections as well as at the front where one's hands and arms might contact it. It gives a finished look to each area, even if you need to rearrange things "someday" if you move or otherwise need to adapt to different situations. Interestingly enough, your diagram closely resembles my office arrangement...work machine at one corner and personal machine on the other.

Dave Richards
12-22-2003, 1:25 PM
I think if you laminate the sections and flush trim them properly with nice, straight edges, you shouldn't have any difficulty in get good seams.

Since this is a child's desk, you might go with some different colored laminates for the various sections and let the seams show. Have a little fun with it.

Jamie Buxton
12-22-2003, 2:16 PM
Bob ---

You don't mention where the walls are, but a usual problem with U-shaped built-ins is that if you build them in one piece you can't get them into the opening. You're in much better shape if you build things in separate modules that you can place in the opening. It is also good to design in some wiggle room, because walls are rarely straight and corners are rarely 90 degrees.

Must your entire top be at the same altitude? I've built modularized furniture in which one top overlaps another. It's a little unusual for office desks, but if you think about it there's no real reason that the tops have to be all at the same height.

Jamie

Dave Brandt
12-22-2003, 2:30 PM
Looks like a great "opportunity" to make modular sections. I really like Dave's idea on the different color laminates too. Don't forget to show us how it comes out.