PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1023SL 10" Table Saw

Charles Wilson
03-31-2007, 1:38 AM
I am considering this saw.

Any good/bad comments from owners/users?

Thanks,
Chuck

Michael Keating
03-31-2007, 8:28 AM
Hi Chuck,

I have had one of these beasts for 3 years now and I can not imagine working without it. It handles everything I throw at it (12/4 white oak) and not even a hint of problems with it bogging down. This is a quality machine manufactured to good tolerances (wood magazin found this machine had no problems when it arrived compared to all other machines testes, Uni, PM).
I only usemine for hobby use, but I am going to start using it more and more as I am going to be moving to a warmer climate so I can use it through out the year, not just 8 months a year.
You will not find better machine for the money. I have not heard of anyone having problems with their machine on the forums I visit, but I am sure there are some out there.

In short I highly recommend.

Mike

Jim Becker
03-31-2007, 9:07 AM
The 1023SL gets very nice comments from owners and always has. Very good value for the money...and a great alternative to get a cabinet saw for a price just a hair more than a hybrid.

Mark Engel
03-31-2007, 9:17 AM
I have had the 1023Z for quite a few years. It is a great saw. I haven't had to adjust anything since initial set up. I originally had the ShopFox 50" fence, which I didn't really like. I recently replaced it with a Delta Unifence and sold the ShopFox. Now the saw is almost perfect.

My only regret is not waiting for the left tilt blade before I bought this one.

Ryan Myers
03-31-2007, 9:20 AM
I have this saw too. It is a great machine for the money. I had read earlier reviews about the finish lacking and machining tolerances being off. These reviews must have been from a few years ago. The machining & paint finish of my paticular unit was "showroom" quality. The top is dead flat, the arbor runout is at .002, and I had no trouble aligning the miterslots and fence to within .001 of the blade. 3 HP has tackled everything I have thrown at it without even a hint of hesitation.

I will say that I have only owned the unit for two months, but I have been very pleased with my decision. I was previously hung up on getting a unisaw. I like to get the most out of my money, so maximizing every dollar spent on equipment was the big factor for going with the Grizzly. Having never seen any Grizzly equipment I was a little bit nervous about what to expect. Any reservations about their equipment are gone and I will be making future purchases from them.

The only thing that I wish it had was a riving knife. But that trend seems to be just catching on among all manufacters, so maybe future units will come with this.

I believe that all the others out there are great saws too. But you will get the most bang for your buck with the 1023.

Paul Douglass
03-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Charles, I don't own this saw, but I have never read anything bad about it. I have a friend that has one, he is more than satisfied with it. I get worried about the shipping because I live out in the country where it is hard for trucks to get. I guess I would have to ship to a dock and than go pick it up, done that a few times and it was not a problem. When they shipped my friend's the delivers took it out of the truck and into his garage for him. Some say they aren't suppose to do that.

For the price of that saw, I don't see how you could go wrong. Good luck on the decision.

Jeff Kerr
03-31-2007, 10:20 AM
This is the saw that I have. I started with a cheap contractor saw at the Orange borg. It worked but wasn't up to snuff.

I got the Grizz about 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. It works great. I originally got it with the standard size rails. I have since upgraded to the long rails with the extension table. If I were to do it over again I would spring for the long rails off the bat.

They even have an option for a cast iron router table wing. :p

Tim Pippin
03-31-2007, 11:14 AM
You may also want to consider a Shop Fox saw. I bought a 1711 about two years ago with the 50" rails and 5hp motor. It is identical to the Grizzly but is sold through dealers so you can avoid shipping cost. I was a little hesitant about buying this saw and was hung up on buying a unisaw. I'm glad I bought the Shop Fox. It is a beast and runs very well. Either way you won't be sorry.

Best of luck,
Tim

Terry Beadle
04-01-2007, 12:18 PM
I've had my 1023 for several years now. Never a problem with the fence which is a Beismyer (sp?) knock off. I've cut some 12/4 red oak with it and it cut it like it was a 4/4 piece. The biggest improvement was to put a Forest blade on it and to aquire a Kregg square. The Kregg is really accurate and about $150. With the Kregg and the Forest blade, you can do picture frame quality miters easily.

Really a great saw for the price. It was a bit tricky to get into the basement though. I had to pick mine up at the freight line and use some 2 x 10's to slide it to the ground. Then it was onto some wheels and 3 big guys wiggling it into place. Once I put the Shopfox wheel set on it, one can move it around as needed easily.

Rob Blaustein
04-01-2007, 3:36 PM
I'm very happy with mine. I have a small shop so got the standard rails. The Shop Fox fence that comes with it is excellent too. I did make some modifications: Biesmeyer splitter, built a small extension table to the right to allow use of the Excalibur overarm guard, and recently got a Jessem Mast-R-Slide but haven't installed it yet. Not to mention a bunch of useful gizmos (Forrest WW II blade, grip tites, a pair of Grrippers, etc). Here's a review of the saw that I found helpful:
http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/g1023s.htm
I agree with Jack's review that for the money, it's a lot of saw.
Good luck!

--Rob

Charles Wilson
04-01-2007, 9:12 PM
I am still looking at the Griz hard but HD has made things interesting (even though the saws aren't the same animal).

BORG is having a tool sale and the TS 3650 is looking interesting. I would get $75 off with the sale and have a $30 gift certificate (total of $100 off) plus 12 months free financing. Plus limited lifetime warranty and good reviews and 110v. (Although I can run 220v to the garage)

Steel City is making a charge as well but there are no local dealers within a reasonable distance (Albany, NY is the closest). I can find dealers on the internet though.

Any more thoughts?

Chuck

Jake Helmboldt
04-01-2007, 9:28 PM
Charles, if a cabinet saw is in the budget then don't even think twice about a contractor saw. Do a little homework here and you will see the benefits. The biggest being the cabinet-mounted trunnions. If I had it to do over again I would never "save" money by going with a contractor saw (and I have what many regard as one of the best, a Powermatic 64).

JH

Ryan Myers
04-01-2007, 9:46 PM
Charles, I would strongly suggest a cabinet saw over a contractors saw if it is in reach financially. I upgraded to the 1023 from a Sears contractor saw that I was fortunate to have given to me. The difference between the two is night and day.

The cabinet saw has several advantages over the contractor saw including ease of alignment, weight (this reduces vibration significantly, approx. 2-3 times that of a contractor saw), dust collection, and more HP.

Craig Walls
04-02-2007, 6:18 PM
I love my 1023. I bought the left-tilting model with the extended rails and it is awesome. Good power, lots of weight, precision work, etc.
You won't be disapointed!!

Cody Colston
04-02-2007, 6:51 PM
I love my 1023SLX, too. I got it last year and it's everything I hoped. The only "wish" I have is that it had come with a replaceable DC outlet. Dust collection was actually better on my old Craftsman contractor saw after I closed up most of the openings in the cabinet. I had 6" PVC plumbed to the bottom of the Craftsman and it moved a lot of air. I just haven't been able to bring myself to cut into the cabinet on the Griz and change the 4" outlet to a 6" and I lose more sawdust off the blade top than I like.

Other than that, it's a great saw. It has power to spare (3 hp), it's rock steady and the Shop Fox fence has stayed dead on. Fit and finish on mine was near perfect. I especially like those large locking handwheels.

I don't believe you will find a better bargain in a cabinet saw.

Jim Thiel
04-02-2007, 7:06 PM
I also have a 1023 but an older model. I could not be happier with my new to me saw, picked it up off craigslist for about half new. I would and do usually suggest a used saw, esp. if it's your first.

Jim