PDA

View Full Version : One of my Projects

Anthony Anderson
03-31-2007, 1:30 AM
I am going to test posting a picture, as I have had no luck in the past. This picture is of our dedicated home theater. The room is about 16'X21'. The two theater units that house the components are made from maple ply and stained with Transtint Dyes, using two dyes that Chris Barton had used on one of his turnings. My color turned out a little too orange-Chris' color turned out much bettter. The two main front speakers are behind the speaker fabric on each unit. I hope I can get these pics to post. There are also some pics of the work in progress. Just wanted to share some of the things that I have done, as I always enjoy seeing the work that others here at SMC do. Thanks, Bill

Charles Wilson
03-31-2007, 1:39 AM
Pictures came through this time.

Looks great.

Your shop looks small. I am working on assembling a small shop too in a garage. Can you tell me what kind of tools that you are working with (especially what TS)?

Regards,
Chuck

Dick Bringhurst
03-31-2007, 2:31 AM
One picture came through. It shows the screen and the two units. BTW they look good. Dick B

Charles Jackson III
03-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Nice projects.

glenn bradley
03-31-2007, 11:43 AM
I think you've got the pic thing down now. Looking good. I like the mirror image look.

Pete Brown
03-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Your shop looks small. I am working on assembling a small shop too in a garage.

I agree. Small shop but dedicated 16x21 to a home theater? We need to work on priorities here :p

Pete

Anthony Anderson
03-31-2007, 8:22 PM
Thanks Chuck, My shop is shaped like a backwards L with the main part 12' X 22' and the extension part ~7' X12'. It is small but I try to make everything do double duty. Cabinets are made with rail and stile doors with 1/4" white pegboard panels that hold everything that I use often and everything else goes inside. Everything is on mobile bases and when possible I make the mobile bases with drawers or shelves for extra storage. Here is a list of some of the tools that I have in the shop"

Tablesaw
I have used a Craftsman contractor saw for the last 13 years, and it has been a good saw, after fence upgrade, Freud blade, link belt, and Kreg miter gauge, but I will be selling it soon. Right now I have a SawStop 5hp 52" fence (fence and all accessories are still in boxes) sitting in the shop, but have had some issues that I hope to have resolved this coming week, and I will have a chance to have it up and running by Friday. Tuesday will be three weeks since I took possession, and have not had it fired up yet. Bummer! If I did not get the SawStop I would not have a problem using my contractor saw, or if I was to upgrade the Contractor saw to something other than a SawStop it would probably be the Craftsman 22124 (catching it on sale).

Jet DC1100 Dust collector, upgrading to canister this week. One of the first things you should do for yourself is to plumb in a DC system with a canister filter.

DeWalt DW218K router kits with D handle base

New Yankee Workshop router table with 3.5 hp router

Performax 22-44 drum sander on a mobile cabinet that I built (I will build drawers for it...someday:D)

Craftsman 15" DP (I hope to upgrade that someday as it is one of their older ones)

Delta 12" compound miter saw mounted on cabinets with two drawers.

DeWalt 12.5" planer

That is pretty much it. My shop is small, but I do what I can to make it work for me. I will try to post pictures of the shop at the end of the week, if I can get the tablesaw up and running by then.

Also I built a pool table using the slate and support frame from a table that I bought used. I will post some pictures of that too (now that I know how to post pictures:)). The point is that you can make some nice things in a small space. Now don't get me wrong...I would love to have a larger shop, but I am not complaining.

BTW Pete, If I told my wife that my shop was going to be bigger than our theater, well....it wouldn't be pretty:eek::D.

Thanks again guys. Regards, Bill

Pictures came through this time.

Looks great.

Your shop looks small. I am working on assembling a small shop too in a garage. Can you tell me what kind of tools that you are working with (especially what TS)?

Regards,
Chuck

Marc Casebolt
04-02-2007, 1:47 PM
Anthony,
Those cabinets look great, very nice job.
I"ll stick my neck out here and make a suggestion. Swap the units around to get the speakers away from the wall, and closer to the screen. The separation of left and right isn't as important as losing the sound reflections off the walls, especially in a narrow room. Also get the center speaker off the floor, and as close to the bottom of the screen as posible.
Try these things, and you should notice an improvement in your over all sound quality.
I hope you find this helpful.
Marc