PDA

View Full Version : "Journal of Backcountry Studies"

greg Forster
03-30-2007, 10:20 PM
In the Spring of 2006, The University of North Carolina-Greensboro began publishing a history journal on the "backcountry"; that area from southern Pennsylvania, thru the Shenandoah River Valley of Virginia, the Piedmont of North Carolina, the Uplands of South Carolina and Georgia and the Appalachian Mountains.

This is a region which saw major furniture influences from Pennsylvania-Deutsch and Quakers moving south and west , large immigrations of Scot-Irish, the settlement of Moravians in North Carolina; and the interpretation of English high-style cabinetmaking filtering in from coastal cities, like Williamsburg and Charleston.Only in the last 15-20 years has this furniture begun to receive its much deserved recognition and admiration.

I highly recommend many, many visits to the furniture collections in MESDA (Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts) at Old-Salem in Winston-Salem, NC.

So far three issues have been published and can be downloaded at no cost. "Google" -Journal of Backcountry Studies .

I'm posting here as I think members of this group will enjoy reading the journal. It will just be a matter of time before articles on furniture construction and cabinet-makers will be included