PDA

View Full Version : On the topic of router tables...can you have too many???

John Ricci
03-30-2007, 7:59 PM
Next to the tablesaw or maybe even the drillpress, I hold the router/table to be the most important tool in the shop given that it is capable of a multitude of different woodworking tasks...rout, shape, rabbet, joint, dovetail etc. oh I could go on:rolleyes:. Other than a few hand tools I find that the routers come into play more often than most. Here are some too dark shots of my two faves (I have four) I have my Kevlar shorts on so please do comment:D. The first pic is a LV table/Ryobi 600 with an Incra 24" Ultra with the Intellifence (yeah it's old stuff) and to the right is a Leigh D4 clamped to a workstand. # 2/3 are shots of the Leigh and #4 is the backside of the Incra. I have a small Delta shaper and a Shopsmith router table/system with over/under router mounts and the pin routing arm for the LV table to boot. The other routers are a pair of PC 690s with multiple plunge/fixed bases one of which lives in the Shopsmith table and the other is pretty much dedicated to the D4, a Freud FT2000E and a Ryobi laminate trimmer to top the list off excluding several Dremel tools which can produce similar chip piles. Any other router devotees out there with the same severity of the disorder?

J.R

Edit : I just looked at my pics after I posted them and it seems my efforts to make them smaller also made them look like crap...sorry

J.R.

Joe Spear
03-30-2007, 8:09 PM
Did you put a textured finish on your Incra fence, or is that just the way the light is hitting it?

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-30-2007, 8:41 PM
Too many routers?

Well if they are underfoot ya might have an issue.

glenn bradley
03-30-2007, 8:44 PM
I don't see that you have a problem (with routers / tables). :D

Regarding the pics; mine do that too as the size is reduced.:(

Jim Becker
03-30-2007, 8:50 PM
Routers are one of those tools that lend themselves to duplication they are so useful. And depending on your projects, it's not uncommon to dedicate one to a particular task, either for convenience or for comfort. (Some feel better than other for certain things) Same goes for router tables. Many folks are perfectly suited to only one. But others find multiple tables or multi-router/single table setups perfect for their work.

While I suspect I could do the routing I do with only two routers (one in the table and one for hand-held), I'm quite happy with the five I currently own, although I may divest myself of the old PC7529 someday. Of course, it's not costing anything to have it hang around, either... ;) I do only have one router table, currently, and that's now attached to my table saw. That works for me at the present time. My Leigh jig mounts on my miter station when I need to use it. And I have a jig I use on the lathe for cutting sliding dovetails in table spindles. Maybe I could count that as three??? :D