PDA

View Full Version : Jet mini tailstock problem

David Little
03-30-2007, 7:47 PM
The threads on the bolt that clamps down the tailstock on my Jet mini 1014, which I have had only three months, have stripped. When I called the company I was first told the part was on back order until about mid June then was later told I might get it in four weeks or so and that "I was not the only one waiting for this part". Now I'm wondering if this is a common problem. Has anyone else experienced the failure of this bolt on their tailstock?
:confused:

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-30-2007, 8:08 PM
I've heard of it. There is a lot of pressure on the threads of that bolt. Sounds like they got a bad batch.

The only thingI know for you to do is take the part to a local machine shop and have them weld a new bolt on it, or wait on Jet. I'm betting that Jet outsources the part and is rejecting inferior parts.

Bruce

Bob Noles
03-30-2007, 8:24 PM
David,

I sent you a PM

Keith Outten
03-31-2007, 7:22 AM
David,

The Jet Mini tail stock has had problems for a very long time. It tends to creep and is often overtightened in an effort to stop it from moving. The problem is the round nut that contacts the bottom of the ways doesn't provide enough contact surface and it should be replaced with a longer/rectangular T-Nut style piece. Constant overtightening stretches the bolt and in time it will fail, the problem isn't the bolt it is the design of the round nut.

If you search our archives you will find lots of information on this topic. I machined replacement nuts for the Jet Mini for a long time and I shared my sketch with dimentions for the rectangular block I was making. The new block provides plenty of contact area and the tailstock can be tightened with just a slight amount of pressure and it will stay put.

There was another SMC Member who started making the replacement nuts when I stopped making them, I don't know if he is still offering to make the T-Nut design now.

Jim Milne
03-31-2007, 9:54 AM
Keith,
I've searched the site but no joy on the sketch. If you have a copy you can email me, I'd like to give it a shot. My Jet 1014 is in need of corrective surgery :mad: and if it isn't too difficult :confused: , perhaps I can make some for others. :D
Jim

David Little
03-31-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. This experience has been frustrating, but now that I have some ideas to follow up on maybe there are solutions. I will visit with a local welder to see if he can weld a new bolt onto the old swivel head and have sent an email to the man Bob suggested to me that may have available a machined replacement (and improvement) for the round fitting that clamps under the rails. I'm sure I probably was guilty of overtightening the tailstock when it tended to slip and it sounds as though the machined replacement may be much better at securely holding the tailstock in place.

Keith Outten
03-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Here's the link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=3603

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4124

Grant Wilkinson
03-31-2007, 1:43 PM
Ken

I've not had the problem with my mini yet, but I wanted to thank you for the information. I'll make the piece and replace the washer right away, before I do other damage.

Grant
Ottawa ON

Jim Milne
03-31-2007, 3:05 PM
Thanks for the links Keith. Just the info I was looking for.
Jim

Bill Boehme
04-01-2007, 3:51 AM
T-slot nuts (not T-nuts, which are a different type of nut used in wood) are used extensively in the machining industry on milling machines and lathes. They are made of hardened steel and would be an ideal fix. The only potential problem is that this may be an oddball size. Check with an industrial supply house to see if they can order one for you. It is possible that the T-slot nut used on the old 12 inch delta lathe would work -- the spacing between the ways seems to be about the same.

As an aside, I noticed that Delta has cheaped out and on their new electronic variable speed lathes, they no longer use T-slot nuts, but instead use a U-bolt and metal plate rig. Trouble with that is the thing is always hanging as you try to slide the tailstock or tool rest base. I was on the verge of buying the Delta 16 inch lathe, but as I gave it a thorough checkout on the showroom floor, I became disgusted with the "value" engineering (in case you don't know what value engineering is -- you keep lowering the quality until it quits working and then you put the last part back so that it will just barely works).

You could make your own T-slot nut by cutting two pieces of steel the desired size and then secure them together with a couple screws.

Bill

Keith Outten
04-01-2007, 8:22 AM
The T-slot nut requires a 10 mm thread which makes them difficult to find with dimentions to fit the Jet Mini bed ways. I used 1/2" thick mild steel plate to make mine and machined a 1/8" step. This keeps the nut centered in the bed way and still allows it to slide smoothly. Tightening requires minimum pressure due to the large contact area.

Colleen Devine
04-01-2007, 8:49 AM
If anyone were willing to make the t-slot "fixes", I would buy 2.

Colleen

Jim Milne
04-01-2007, 9:23 AM
Hi Colleen,
I will be making some (four to six) in the upcoming week. I have been metal working far longer than turning wood and have the shop for it.

If I am satisfied with the results, I will send you 2. You can pm me with details on address and I will respond with my personal email address.

At this time, I do not anticipate charging for these. Keith was kind enough to post the details, so I'll see how this goes for now. Postage shouldn't be too much but I can remember when stamps were 6 cents.

Just keep in touch as this project moves forward.
Jim
"Wood Turning Since Last Tuesday"

Colleen Devine
04-01-2007, 5:41 PM
Jim,

Excellent news -- I will keep in touch!

Colleen