PDA

View Full Version : Drill press side play?

Jamie Buxton
03-30-2007, 7:11 PM
I'm getting exasperated with my drill press, a Jet 15". The quill has too much play in the part it slides in. When fully extended, the quill can rattle back and forth a good 30 thou. I'd be willing to upgrade to get better performance, but I can't figure out which machine to buy. As far as I can tell, no manufacturer provides a spec on this issue.

Anybody have advice?

glenn bradley
03-30-2007, 7:38 PM
You're talking about runout and that (about 1/32") is a little loose for my taste. My Delta benchtop is tighter than that. Have you looked into service or checked online about adjustments? Maybe someone here with a Jet DP could help out. It seems the only place I hear about runout measurements are in the 3rd party reviews.

Jim Becker
03-30-2007, 7:39 PM
My Jet 17" doesn't exhibit this behavior...something is amiss for sure on your machine! (But you already knew that...)

Paul Canaris
03-30-2007, 9:20 PM
I'm getting exasperated with my drill press, a Jet 15". The quill has too much play in the part it slides in. When fully extended, the quill can rattle back and forth a good 30 thou. I'd be willing to upgrade to get better performance, but I can't figure out which machine to buy. As far as I can tell, no manufacturer provides a spec on this issue.

Anybody have advice?

but I can't figure out which machine to buy. As far as I can tell, no manufacturer provides a spec on this issue.

Anybody have advice?[/quote]

They dont for a reason Jamie, most of the specifications would be pretty pathetic. I had the same issues Jamie. I tested the quil deflection of a number of Taiwanese and Chinese models and was not happy. :mad:

So I went to several used machine tool dealers. These machines come from a variety of usage settings ranging from heavy production to light fabrication, so you have to go in and look carefully. I took a dial indicator with magnetic stand and tested the quil deflection among other things, until I found a unit that had very little. Once I got it home, I was able to eliminate most of that through adjustments. :)

Some of the makes to look for are older Delta, Rockwell and Bufallo, or any age Clausing.

The guys at OWWM can give you some good advise in this regards.

The best part is how rugged these machines are compared to most of the Taiwanese and Chinese offerings. :eek:

The downside, is that many require three phase to use.:o

Jamie Buxton
03-30-2007, 11:52 PM
....Once I got it home, I was able to eliminate most of that through adjustments....

Paul, what adjustments? I can't see any way to adjust this Jet that I've got. (Well, short of my 20-pound sledge.)

Terry Beadle
04-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I'd agree with Jim Becker's post. There must be something on the taper keeping the quill from seating correctly. Jet doesn't make that sloppy of a press. Have you removed the quill, cleaned it with mineral spirits and checked up in the mortise? Maybe there's a bit of metal or wood or what not in there. Also are you using a flat piece of counter sunk wood that's dead flat when you seat the quill?

Have you checked the run out with a true bit? Some times it's the basics.

Just wonderin'.