PDA

View Full Version : Contractor Table Saws?

Charles Jackson III
03-30-2007, 6:22 PM
Hello, guys I made up my mind to upgrade, my benchtop table saw to a contractor table saws looking at the Delta 36-979, the saw that come without a fence, or the Delta 36-977 contractors saw, I am looking at for the price I might as well get the Delta 36-977 for 549 and free shipping with Amazon.com and it already comes with the T2 Fence. what do u guys think? I need saw that I can rip wider boards, do dados, rabbets, tenons, and other cuts I cant do with the benchtop saw.

Mark Engel
03-30-2007, 6:36 PM
It looks like the trade off is the extension wings.

The 979 comes with cast iron wings and no fence for what $469?
The 977 has steel extension wings but it comes with the fence for $549.

Have you priced the fence out by itself?

My last saw was an old Delta with the steel extension wings. I didn't like them. they felt kind of cheap or flimsy. Could have just been in my head. If it was me, I would get the saw with the cast iron extensions and then start shopping around for a fence.

scott spencer
03-30-2007, 7:04 PM
AFAIK, Lowes is currently offering a 15% discount on their power tools. If so, you should be able to pickup the 36-979 w/cast iron wings and a T2 fence for ~ $550. This combo is the equivalent of the 36-980. You can add a Vega U26 (Amazon promo) instead of the T2 for another $35.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000H0THTI.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Charles Jackson III
03-30-2007, 7:15 PM
Ok thanks guys.

glenn bradley
03-30-2007, 7:35 PM
If you're set on the Delta, take advantage of Lowes 15% off (till 4/11 I think). My local Lowes will order Delta (or other names they carry) that is not in stock and have it delivered to the store; no shipping.

Mark Engel
03-30-2007, 7:42 PM
Wow. Such a deal.

Charles Jackson III
03-30-2007, 7:44 PM
Ya I really like the Delta, because it comes with wheels, and since I have Delta benchtop table saw, think I will stick with Delta brand.

Homer Faucett
03-30-2007, 7:50 PM
AFAIK, Lowes is currently offering a 15% discount on their power tools. If so, you should be able to pickup the 36-979 w/cast iron wings and a T2 fence for ~ $550. This combo is the equivalent of the 36-980. You can add a Vega U26 (Amazon promo) instead of the T2 for another $35.

That's a good deal on a nice saw. I just sold my Delta 36-675 which was the older model with 2 stamped steel extensions. I didn't mind the stamped steel, but I would have taken the full cast iron for the same price. Once properly tuned and with a link belt, it cut absolutely perfectly. I really liked the T2 fence.

The 36-979 has a built-in mobile base and dust port, both of which I added to my saw. I don't think you can go wrong there if it's a contractor's saw you are after. It is an unbelievably big step up from a benchtop saw. I remember it well . . . it was my first big step into being able to do quality woodworking. Take the time to tune it up, and you'll have a saw your kids will still be able to use.

Mark Engel
03-30-2007, 7:52 PM
Delta makes very good, reliable, solid products.

My previous saw was a Delta contractors saw. It was an older model, manufactured in 1982, that I bought used. It served me very well for the ~3 years that I had it. When I decided to get a cabinet saw, I was able to sell it for the same price I paid.

That Delta had the Unifence. I liked that fence so much that I ended up getting one for my Grizzley cabinet saw. I did make one upgrade to the fence and got the Uni-T-Fence to replace the standard fence that came with the Unifence system.

Brian Penning
03-30-2007, 7:56 PM
Frankly, imho Delta USED TO make very good, reliable, solid products.
They've gone down somewhat based on my experiences.

Tom Cowie
03-30-2007, 8:54 PM
Hi Charles,

I own a Delta contractors saw, I've had it since 1999 and love it . It has a 1.5 hp motor and cast extension with a 30" table mounted to the "unifence" system. I also mounted a PC router in the table. It is about as all purpose as I can get it. I run a Freud 8" stacked dado set on it with no problem. I don't know about the new machines but this one has served me well so far..

Tom

Delta also makes a nice mobile base for these saws..

Homer Faucett
03-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Frankly, imho Delta USED TO make very good, reliable, solid products.
They've gone down somewhat based on my experiences.

I bought mine in February 2004, and would have to say that it was a good, reliable, solid product. I know several people who bought the 36-675 contractor saw that year and the few years before, and I did not hear any complaints.

Nearly every brand has models that are dogs or years where a model is a dog. Do you have some particular insight on the models that the original poster is asking about, or are your comments just made in general?

David Gunn
04-01-2007, 7:37 PM
I know you said you want to stick to Delta, but there are a lot of people (including me) that love the Ridgid 3650. It also comes with a mobile base and has a bigger rip capacity. Home Depot is having a big sale on power tools right now too.

chad freitag
04-01-2007, 8:15 PM
I was debating for quite a while between the Ridgid TS3650 and the Delta, but when I finally had enough cash to upgrade from my benchtop saw, I ended up going with the Delta 36-979 and the T2 fence. I liked the Delta T2 fence better and that the wings didn't have holes in them. I ended up with a pretty good price given I had a Lowes 10% coupon and also the $50 Delta rebate and $50 Lowes card incentive were in effect.

Corey Hallagan
04-01-2007, 9:38 PM
I have the Delta 36-675 and have had it for about 2 years now. Got it on a Home Depot close out for 299.00 which was a steal for that saw. It has the stamped steel extension but it is heavy enough without cast iron extensions. The fence is what I enjoy most about the saw. I love it. Great saw, only complaint is.. it's like any other contractor saw, the foot print is large since the motor sticks out the back and you have to remember that if positioning around walls.

Corey

Dan Drager
04-01-2007, 10:48 PM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0444Z

You want a good contractor saw.....the G0444Z is the only one in my book.

Clint Winterhalter
04-01-2007, 10:59 PM

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000H0THTI.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I have the Vega Fence! It will be the best $35.00 you will ever spend!

Homer Faucett
04-02-2007, 9:29 PM
I have the Vega Fence! It will be the best $35.00 you will ever spend!

I've never seen the Vega in person. What makes it better than the T2, Bies, or a Bies clone?

scott spencer
04-03-2007, 6:59 AM
I've never seen the Vega in person. What makes it better than the T2, Bies, or a Bies clone?

I've used both and like both alot. The Vega has a very good microadjustmechanism that the Biese does not have. Other than that, I'd lean toward the Biese for it's beefier construction, and wouldn't give up my Biese for the Vega, but the price of the Biese can get steep enough to swing the value meter in favor of the Vega. I think the Vega's installation is simpler too.

Rob Luter
04-03-2007, 7:45 AM
I went with the Rigid TS3650 after looking at Delta, Rigid, Hitachi, Steel City, and Jet. The price was right (about $500) and it had the features I was looking for. Delta was OK too, but the ripping capacity was less, the cost was a fair bit more at the time, and the holes in the TS3650 table allowed more options for clamping. The Rigid fence works very well as does the "Herculift" mobility stand. I've been very pleased so far. Upgrades to date are a zero clearance insert and an Incra Miter Gauge. The stock blade actually cuts pretty true despite about .010" of runout. It will be replaced soon with something a bit stiffer like a Forrest.

Homer Faucett
04-03-2007, 7:32 PM
I went with the Rigid TS3650 after looking at Delta, Rigid, Hitachi, Steel City, and Jet. The price was right (about $500) and it had the features I was looking for. Delta was OK too, but the ripping capacity was less, the cost was a fair bit more at the time, and the holes in the TS3650 table allowed more options for clamping. The Rigid fence works very well as does the "Herculift" mobility stand. I've been very pleased so far. Upgrades to date are a zero clearance insert and an Incra Miter Gauge. The stock blade actually cuts pretty true despite about .010" of runout. It will be replaced soon with something a bit stiffer like a Forrest.

A lot of people really like the Rigid TS3650, and I understand that the trunion adjustment is easier than most other saws. I understand that the fence that comes with it has 36" rip capacity versus the 33" on the Delta T2 fence. However, if I had the choice between the Ridgid with the aluminum fence and webbed extensions versus the Delta with solid cast iron and the all steel T2 fence, I'd pay the $50 difference. Either one will likely be a great saw that will do what you want, but the difference in the fence alone would make the decision for me--which is a totally personal preference. Check them both out and compare prices, and make your decision. You won't likely regret it either way.

One thing you will regret is if you don't decide to upgrade your blade and belt. Get a link belt and a good blade--a Freud LU84 combo blade (thin kerf) is a great blade that you can pick up for $50 or less (I got one for $23 on Amazon a while back--the guy who got my Delta contractor saw benefitted from that, otherwise there is no way that I would have sold the saw with the Freud blade that was on it).

Good luck on choosing--I think you'll be happy either way.

Ed Blough
04-03-2007, 11:41 PM
One thing you will regret is if you don't decide to upgrade your blade and belt. Get a link belt and a good blade--a Freud LU84 combo blade (thin kerf) is a great blade that you can pick up for $50 or less (I got one for $23 on Amazon a while back--the guy who got my Delta contractor saw benefitted from that, otherwise there is no way that I would have sold the saw with the Freud blade that was on it).

Good luck on choosing--I think you'll be happy either way.

Homer
With the Ridgid you don't have to do the belt. Ridgid uses a flat ribbed belt instead of a v belt. The flat belt doesn't take a shape so there is no vibration.
The only upgrade a Ridgid needs is possibly a blade. It already has dust collection, flat belt and easy way to adjust the trunions.

scott spencer
04-04-2007, 5:45 AM
...Get a link belt and a good blade--a Freud LU84 combo blade (thin kerf) is a great blade that you can pick up for $50 or less ...

Freud's Industrial series combo thin kerf is the LU83, the LU84 is their full kerf version. Both good choices...they'll recommend the TK on motors under 3hp.

Homer Faucett
04-04-2007, 7:38 AM
Thanks, Scott. I just bought the LU84 because I have a 3hp. My old saw had the LU83. Both are great blades.

Thanks for chiming in on the difference in belts on the Rigid, Ed. The new Delta's have built-in dust collection ports and mobile bases as well. I never had to adjust the trunions on my saw, as they were dead on from the factory. I'd still recommend spending the extra money in buying a link belt on the Delta, if you go that route, and I have yet to use a saw that has a good blade packaged with it--although I understand some Delta's come with a Leitz manufactured blade.

Corey Hallagan
04-04-2007, 8:44 AM
Freud's Industrial series combo thin kerf is the LU83, the LU84 is their full kerf version. Both good choices...they'll recommend the TK on motors under 3hp.

I use both of these blades with the thin kerf version being on the saw most of the time. Awesome blades!

Corey