PDA

View Full Version : Bedrock no.603 refurb

Terry Bigelow
03-30-2007, 4:29 PM
Just wanted to share some before & after pics of my 603. I have since replaced the iron and chipbreaker with Hocks. Everything else is original. Just got a 604 too but haven't had the time too clean it.

Terry Bigelow
03-30-2007, 4:30 PM
.....one more!

Clint Jones
03-30-2007, 4:50 PM
Do you mind me asking how much did you have to pay for it? I have a 605 i'm getting rid of if you are trying to get a line up of bedrocks.

Martin Shupe
03-30-2007, 5:08 PM
Very nice, Terry...

I have not restored any planes yet, but I love to see picks of planes and old tools that have been restored, and once again, put to good use.

Howie French
03-30-2007, 5:34 PM
looks great, all I know...is on ebay, all of these Bedrocks go for a pretty
penny, I would love to pick one up, but they are not cheap compared to the regular stanleys

Howie

Terry Bigelow
03-31-2007, 8:52 AM
Howie and Clint, this is an interesting topic to me. I have chimed in on some other threads about Bedrocks,eBay and LN bench planes vs. Bedrocks. As I have said before it seems those who perhaps a.)have enough money to get LN's, b.)don't care to "fettle" an old Bedrock c.) think they cost as much as an LN by the time you're through rehabbing or d.)think there's just too much work involved to get them right will always reccomend a new LN. While I would agree more times than not ANY Bedrock will need a certain amount of work whereas a new LN comes out of the box ready to roll, the amount of work is sometimes exaggerated. That being said every plane is different. Personally I seek out ones which are basically a good wire wheel cleaning, new iron and chipbreaker and perhaps a knob and/or tote away from being a real beauty. The truth is most of my planes don't REALLY need a new iron and chipbreaker or new knob and tote. I just love the Hock iron and chipbreaker set up. Plus I have bought replacement knob & tote sets for only $30! Cheap yes, but they are rosewood and are absolutely beautiful(look at my 604 1/2 and 607). As far as price I really don't pay as much as some think. I have bought all 5 of my "Rocks" in the last 2 years (ALL off eBay)and have paid more than $150 for only 1!!! I'll bet you can guess which one....yup, the 604 1/2 and I paid almost $200 for it. But all the others have been pretty reasonable. The best deals I have gotten were on the 607($88.00+shipp) and the 604($92.00+shipp). The 605 I paid $130 and the 603 I paid $150. Actually, I was mad at myself after I bought the 605 because one day later I saw a "buy it now" 605 for $90 and of course it was gone within hours! With eBay I think really it's just a matter of being dilligent with looking and pacient to wait for a deal. There's always another one tomorrow! As for the "work" I put into them, it's minimal. I disassemble them and soak all the screws and such in laquer thinner while I work on the sole. Then I use a scrap of granite with 150 sandpaper and flatten the bottom and sides, then wire wheel it(I don't touch the jappaning). Then I wire wheel all the little screws and such. Then the frog(same process). Then I either sand down, oil and wax the knob&tote or put a replacement set on. Then the Hock iron and chipbreaker go on (after a quick hone session) and that's it! I still need a 606(I don't think I'll fork over the big $$$ for the 602, matbe the 608 though) so maybe I'll post my method for cleaning if anyone's interested. Thanks,T.
Oh, here's the whole lot of 'em. L-R:603,604,604 1/2,605 and 607

Steve Clardy
03-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Nice looking set Terry

Clint Jones
03-31-2007, 12:38 PM
How about the 602. It is a nice looking little plane but kind of impractical because its so small there is alot going on around the adjustment screws. Its hard to even fit a decent screwdriver down there and get the frog where you want it. I still like the plane though. A $90 605 isnt a bad deal no suprise it got swooped up. Im tryint to sell mine for $115 if not it may go on ebay. Nice set of Bedrocks.
http://www.handplane.com/Images/StatSheets/Stanley/602/StanleyNo.602Plane2-Big.jpg

Phil Clark
04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Terry - nice set of bedrocks. I've just begun re-japanning with asphaltum and wondered if you have done any of that? I'm doing old spoke shaves until I'm satisfied with the results. A little conflict over who gets to use the oven first but what the heck - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Terry Bigelow
04-09-2007, 5:00 PM
Terry - nice set of bedrocks. I've just begun re-japanning with asphaltum and wondered if you have done any of that? I'm doing old spoke shaves until I'm satisfied with the results. A little conflict over who gets to use the oven first but what the heck - nothing ventured, nothing gained.
No, not true jappaning. I used an enamel a long time ago and it just didn't look right. Although now that it's been a while it doesn't look that bad and has held up well being that it is a "user"(all mine are!). Besides, not sure how the wife would feel commendeering the oven for such an activity;) . I would be interested to see/hear about the outcome though. I wouldn't mind trying it. Where did you get the recipe? What did you do to completely remove the old jappaning? Pics,pics and more pics!!

Mike Cutler
04-09-2007, 6:26 PM
Terry.Nice work on all of the Bedrocks. They look great.

Roy Griggs
04-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Not all Bedrocks are expensive...I found this one for $2 at the flea market.
A tote from my stash of parts and a little elbow grease and I've got a nice user. This one is my smooth plane and the other one is my "603C" which I paid $30 for.

Barry Daly
04-10-2007, 6:50 AM
Hi Terry,

I for one would like to hear more on your cleaning process.

Thanks,

Barry

Terry Bigelow
04-10-2007, 7:00 AM
Right on Roy! That's what I'm talking about! That rusty sucker looks like the one's I try and go after. They look real good.

Barry, I've gat a few other non-Bedrocks I have yet to even touch so when I clean 'em up I'll be sure to post some pics of the process and the before and afters. Thanks.

Phil Clark
04-10-2007, 8:58 AM
Terry - I settled on an article by Todd Hughes and Sean Cullen. I'm actually using Sean's approach. It is found at:
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=handtools&file=articles_117.shtml

I found the Asphaltum on Ebay and it is listed quite often by the same seller - just do an Ebay search for it.

The Asphaltum is in powder form and requires gentle handling because it is just like baby powder and can easily puff all over the place. Otherwise easy to use and it takes very little to do an item.

I'm away for ten days going to Darrel Peart's coarse on Greene & Greene but will post more with pictures when I get back.

Eddie Darby
04-12-2007, 7:13 AM
Nice Posting!!!! I enjoyed it!!!!!!!:)

Fred Gross
05-04-2007, 9:57 PM
As I have said before it seems those who perhaps a.)have enough money to get LN's, b.)don't care to "fettle" an old Bedrock

Terry,

I have seen a couple of your threads and admire your work. I enjoy "fettling" up the old planes, but after romancing them awhile, sell them and by LN planes. I guess I'm just not enough of a romantic to hang on to them.;) Besides, old planes allow me to indulge in my new tool junkie habit.

Terry Bigelow
05-05-2007, 10:11 AM
I can understand that Fred! We all have our vices!! I have to admit the price of a #62 in decent condition has forced me to look at the LN version. Since I like to use them I can't see spending the $400-$500 for an collecter's #62 when I can get the "updated" version for almost half! I'm destined to make the LN plunge myself but it scares me a little;)

Charles Jackson III
05-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Terry those are some nice planes.