PDA

View Full Version : Progress???

Belinda Barfield
03-30-2007, 1:06 PM
54.5 acres of felled trees. :(

View from the back door of our shop on Tuesday.

View from the back door today.

Feel very sorry for all the little animals, but maybe the local woodworkers will be happy.

Rob Russell
03-30-2007, 1:13 PM
What's happening on the 54+ acres? That would make for one big workshop!

Belinda Barfield
03-30-2007, 1:25 PM
Not sure at this point. Probably ANOTHER strip mall. Zoning for our area is light industrial, so it could be anything. Front neighbors are an equipment rental service on one side, really cool car restoration business on the other side. (If you like muscle cars check out their site www.jenjacs.com.) (http://www.jenjacs.com.))
They are restoring a '63 split window right now and I'm hoping to win the lottery.:D Neighbor in back is a large trucking firm.

Maybe I'll get lucky and the new business will be a huge Krispy Kreme donut store!:D

Joe Pelonio
03-30-2007, 1:38 PM
Sometimes it's not for "progress".

My parents' neighbor across the street has several acres of woods, mostly firs and some alder, that provide a great view from the front of the house. After several fell in the last windstorm they had a certified arborist come out and found that most of the firs are infected with some kind of disease and have to come down. The people have called in a lumbering firm to harvest them, and will pay for any that still have good wood, but some are pretty hollow already.

It's won't be a complete clearcut but it sure won't look the same.

Belinda Barfield
03-30-2007, 3:03 PM
Thanks for the reply Joe. The buldozers are hard at work right now. I'm pretty sure a building of some sort is not far behind. There is one tree left right outside our back door, with one scared squirrel sitting in a crotch 3/4 of the way up. Breaks my heart. He won't come down, and the tree will be coming down very soon. Oh well, guess I can't save them all. :(

Joe Chritz
03-30-2007, 6:20 PM
"Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things."
Russell Baker

I seriously doubt I could ever think of anything more fitting to say.

Joe

Jack Dickey
03-30-2007, 8:16 PM
63 split window !!! Some peeple , jeesh ..

Belinda Barfield
03-31-2007, 11:40 AM
63 split window !!! Some peeple , jeesh ..

What's wrong with a '63 split window?:confused:

Dennis Peacock
03-31-2007, 3:48 PM
with one scared squirrel sitting in a crotch 3/4 of the way up. Breaks my heart. He won't come down, and the tree will be coming down very soon. Oh well, guess I can't save them all. :(

Belinda,

Feed that squirrel some crushed corn to help him feel better. :D
We have several fox squirrels in our yard and they sure love the corn. ;)

Jack Dickey
03-31-2007, 4:09 PM
I aint got one , thats whats wrong !!! hadda 67 and foolishly let it go ...

Robert Mickley
03-31-2007, 10:35 PM
The sad part is theres a lot of good firewood there and they will probably shove it in a pile and burn it.

Maybe they will grind it into chips. either way its a waste.

Belinda Barfield
04-01-2007, 8:45 AM
Dennis,

Thanks for the advice. We had a pet squirrel for a while and his favorite food was sunflower seeds. The squirrel in the tree finally came down and scampered off. Since we moved to this fab shop in January I have seen numerous squirrels and birds, three white tail deer, and a hawk. Now I just see open space. :(

Robert,

It seems a waste to me, but I guess the guy who sold the land at 200K per acre doesn't think so! I don't begrudge him the money, I just hate to see all of the forest land in the area go up in smoke. BTW, my Honey says DB stands for "Darling Blonde".:p (At least that's what he tells me!!)

I keep telling Honey we should grab some of the felled trees for firewood this winter. He gives me THE LOOK and asks if I've ever tried to split water oak. I haven't, so I guess he wins.