PDA

View Full Version : Swmbo?

Dick Sylvan
03-30-2007, 12:34 PM
I've seen this and one or two other letter references to what I take is intended to mean "wife", but I am curious as to what the letters actually mean.

Gary Keedwell
03-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I've seen this and one or two other letter references to what I take is intended to mean "wife", but I am curious as to what the letters actually mean.

"She Who must be obeyed"

Gary K.:D

Anthony Anderson
03-30-2007, 12:38 PM
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed. I wondered the same thing at first. If you do a search for Acronyms you will find a complete list. Regards, Bill

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-30-2007, 1:18 PM
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed. I wondered the same thing at first. If you do a search for Acronyms you will find a complete list. Regards, Bill
When I use it it refers to Cindy Crawford and Charleze Theron and the term means:
- - - She Who Must Be Ogled - - -

Aaron Beaver
03-30-2007, 1:37 PM
I use this site when I find ones I don't know what they mean. http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Doug Shepard
03-30-2007, 2:00 PM

You're not alone. When I first started seeing that on SMC I at first thought it was Single White Male something but could never figure out what the BO stood for (unless it meant Single White Male Body Odor:D ). After paying more attention to how it was being used I was finally able to figure it out.

Lee DeRaud
03-30-2007, 2:17 PM
For anyone interested in the derivation, it's from the "Rumpole of the Bailey" BBC series: it's how the Leo McKern character (Rumpole) referred to his wife (the phrase, not the acronym). That in turn refers back to the H. Rider Haggard pulp novel "She", which has been made into about six or seven movies, most notably with Ursula Andress (1965) and Sandahl Bergman (1985)...use Cliff's definition for those two.

Ted Miller
03-30-2007, 3:18 PM
LOMLLMBF=Love of My Life lets me buy Festool...

Joe Mioux
03-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Well my SWMBO, just found out that I purchased a new woodworking tool that will be here in about 60 days.

Her words were "Before that thing gets here, you better build a workshop because I don't want any more of your tools in the garage."
Far be it from me to argue with the logic of a woman! ;)

Joe

FYI: my current garage is 24x32.

Jesse Thornton
03-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Funny how different subcultures on the web use different anacronyms. My own darling little Nest of Vipers frequents a mothering forum, where they always refer to their husbands as 'dh' (darling husband). Imagine the confusion if we used 'dw' to refer to our spouses!

David G Baker
03-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Dick,
Thank you very much for asking the question that I was not about to ask.

Gary,
Thank you very much for answering the question that has been bugging me since I joined. The SWMBO in my house and I had a great laugh over the translation.
David B

Gary Keedwell
03-31-2007, 12:16 AM
Dick,
Thank you very much for asking the question that I was not about to ask.

Gary,
Thank you very much for answering the question that has been bugging me since I joined. The SWMBO in my house and I had a great laugh over the translation.
David B

;) Any time, dave.

Gary K.

Dennis Peacock
03-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Dick,

You can look here for a quick reference. Link (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27040)

Jim Becker
03-31-2007, 9:20 AM
Jesse, I can appreciate your situation...the adoption forums I participate on use those alternative two-letter acronyms. Some of them, however, have had to make the obvious one for "birth mother" off-limits...

As to SWMBO, some of us have been required to alter it with titles comensurate with status in life. For a long time, I've refered to the LOML as "Dr SWMBO", but recently had to update it to "Professor Dr. SWMBO"... :D

Robert Mickley
03-31-2007, 10:38 PM
I usally call mine DB
Dumb blonde :D

Charles McKinley
04-03-2007, 12:12 AM
ROBERT!

Be nice. :D

Art Mulder
04-03-2007, 9:44 AM
As to SWMBO, some of us have been required to alter it with titles comensurate with status in life. For a long time, I've refered to the LOML as "Dr SWMBO", but recently had to update it to "Professor Dr. SWMBO"... :D

My wife also has PhD. And on very rare occaisions people ask me if I call her "Doctor". I point out that I have a Master's degree, and I'll call her Doctor if she'll call me...

Nancy Laird
04-03-2007, 10:05 AM
I think Al Willits uses "Beastie" or "She-Beast." Now is that nice???? :rolleyes: I think he uses that as a term of endearment.;)

Nancy

Dick Durbin
04-03-2007, 3:50 PM
I usally call mine DB
Dumb blonde :D

To her face? Man, you must be tougher than Dick Tracy!

Glenn Clabo
04-03-2007, 4:20 PM
And I have switched to Director DRLOML...just to make sure WE all understand. ;)

Robert Mickley
04-04-2007, 7:48 AM
To her face? Man, you must be tougher than Dick Tracy!

Oh you should hear what she calls me :D :D
It takes more than DB to get her fired up, but when she is look out!!

John Schreiber
04-04-2007, 9:13 AM
When I use it it refers to Cindy Crawford and Charleze Theron and the term means:
- - - She Who Must Be Ogled - - -
That's what I mean when I refer to my wife. :)

By the way, I dated Cindy Crawford back in high school.

Well, we hung out together.
Well, we were the same age and we lived right next door.
Well, she lived in the next town over.
Well, she's only about three years younger than me.
Well, I never met her, but I could of.

Well, She did grow up in a town about 20 miles from where I did and I never heard of her before she was famous, but I still feel like there is a connection. Hey a guy can dream can't he.

Chuck E Cobb
04-05-2007, 7:23 AM
It is best if SWMBO never see you calling her that when posting, they don't seem to like it much... trust me on this one..... I got a 3 hour "talk" when she came in and read it one time. Still not sure what upset her, her whole "talk" just seemed to make the point.

Chuck

skip coyne
04-05-2007, 9:04 AM
at least leet hasnt hit here yet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Leet or Leetspeak (often written in Leet as 1337 or 13375p34k) is a writing system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writing_system) used primarily on the Internet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet), but nowadays also in most online video games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_games) as well, which uses various combinations of alphanumerics to replace proper letters. The term itself is a degenerative form of the word "elite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite)", and the language it describes resembles a highly specialized form of electronic shorthand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorthand).

it popped up at another board I frequent and a lot of us had never heard of it

David G Baker
04-05-2007, 9:30 AM
Skip,
Scary. I had never heard of Leet or Leetspeak but when I looked at the alphanumerics you wrote, it made sense. As a kid I could speak pig Latin for hours but am not sure anyone understood a word I said.
David B

Al Willits
04-05-2007, 9:32 AM
"""""""""
I think Al Willits uses "Beastie" or "She-Beast." Now is that nice???? :rolleyes: I think he uses that as a term of endearment.;)
""""""
Endearment? But of course, otherwise I'd be typing this from the hosptial....:D

Besides, calling her SWMBO just gives her idea's...

:D

Al.....who's almost got her trained...and has her permission to say that...

Jim Becker
04-05-2007, 8:47 PM
It is best if SWMBO never see you calling her that when posting, they don't seem to like it much...

Professor Dr SWMBO doesn't have an issue with it. I used to be "OH" in her postings at TableTalk...pre-marriage. "Other Human". I'm sure she has something more creative at this point...

Russ Cass
04-06-2007, 7:34 PM
I always wondered about LOML, when "wife" has the same number of letters :confused:

Well, at least it's shorter than "the 'ol lady" :D

<<<Russ quickly ducks when the LOML see this...>>>

David G Baker
04-06-2007, 7:47 PM
I always wondered about LOML, when "wife" has the same number of letters :confused:

Well, at least it's shorter than "the 'ol lady" :D

<<<Russ quickly ducks when the LOML see this...>>>
Russ,
Some of us are all done having wives, but greatly enjoy the company of a lady that can put up with us without that piece of paper. Therefore, the "LOML". Tried it twice, learned my lesson, won't do it again. Never been happier!
David B

John Ricci
04-07-2007, 7:56 PM
She Who Must Be Out-maneuvered (in emergency double secret covert toy...I mean tool aquisitions);)

J.R.