PDA

View Full Version : " In Days Of Old...."

Mark Singer
12-22-2003, 10:20 AM
When I was building my present home ,I didn't have a large planer. I order some rough Honduras mahogony boards. I made my doors from some and this 18 footer for the counter. To long to run through my small planer....I worked by hand. Good aerobic excersise. Started with a ECE jack pane and finally The Primus wood smoother... The feel of the top is senuous.. you can feel the planning ...I never took a sander to it.
Thats the "plane" truth.
Mark

Michael Campbell
12-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Good stuff Mark, and dern purty.

Alan Turner
12-22-2003, 11:06 AM
Very nice work. Bet you are glad you didn't get the Zebrawood.
Alan

Dave Anderson NH
12-22-2003, 11:50 AM
I am not always an orthodox Neander as most here know. Most of the time I rough surface my lumber with a powered planer, though when the mood strikes me I'll start from scratch with a scrub plane and go the whole hand tool route. In either case the final finish on the wood is always done with a hand plane. I absolutely hate sanding, its dust and mess, and most particularly the way it will raise wood grain when you dye the wood or use a water based finish. A hand planed surface can be finished with any water based product from dye to lacquer with any grain raising. Most important of all, like Mark says, it just feels right.