PDA

View Full Version : Dog Holes in MDF

glenn bradley
03-30-2007, 11:33 AM
This has come up in threads but I'm not finding it specifically. I know pipe sleeves could be installed for reinforcement, etc. I know other material would be better BUT . . .

For those of you that are using dog holes in an MDF top; how are they lasting?

Just trying to decide is this will work out well enough for a year or so to bother or just keep doing what I'm doing now till I build a real bench.

Thanks!

John D Watson
03-30-2007, 1:10 PM
Hey Glen, I've had experience glueing blocks of the MDF below each Dog Hole position to give you a deeper stronger hole. At 4X3/4", they have lasted years of abuse.

Larry Fox
03-30-2007, 1:26 PM
Glen, my top is 2.5" thick and is made of three layers of MDF. I have round dog holes in it and they have stood up to years of abuse and are still round and perform as well as the day I drilled them.

Steve Wargo
03-30-2007, 2:08 PM
Glenn,
I have a bench top that is 3.75" of solid MDF wit round dog holes. No issues at all with bench dogs after two years of pretty consistent abuse. Holdfasts don't work though. Good luck.

glenn bradley
03-30-2007, 2:33 PM
As always, my thanks to all. I just wanted to check with the Creek 'cause you know how some 'temporary' things hang around for . . . YEARS!