PDA

View Full Version : Beginner turns pro

TYLER WOOD
03-30-2007, 10:28 AM
I went to a cigar shop here in town where Rocky Patel was demoing his line of fine cigars. I thought hey what a perfect time to take the humidor up there and get a humidifier and hygrometer for it. Well standing in line just about to the register, I started talking to a person and he asked about the humidor. I told him I made it, he looked very interested and asked me to come to his office to talk. Never even knew he was the owner of the shop. He made an offer to get three of the humidors on a trial run and see how they sell. Getting a great price from him as well. Maybe if I get 10 sold I can get a PM or something.

After talking to the owner I brought the humidor over and Rocky Patel sign it. Now it's a one of a kind, autographed piece. Very exciting, too bad it's my dad's and not mine. Humphhhh

On a side note I also won a box of The Edge cigars. Very nice!:D

Mike Jory
03-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Tyler,
Very Cool. :D I had a similar surprise when I visited a Trophy Shop near my home. I was there for another reason, the owner was admiring my pens and letter openers. I said well... yes, I made them along with a few other items.
Right there he bought a dozen pens, a few letter openers, and after that, about four bottle stoppers. He contacts me when he wants something specific made.
Very interesting feeling when I go to the garage for a hobby, and the particular work turns into a job!

Good Luck, Mike

Robert McGowen
03-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Tyler, you know you are making a serious mistake here unless you TURNED that cigar box!

Tyler before: :)

Tyler now: :eek:

TYLER WOOD
03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Yes Robert, it is all turned. It is a segmented piece, so it does involve some of the f stuff. I will post pics when I get a chance to take some of it.

Black walnut exterior
spanish cedar interior
black walnut base and top cap top is inlaid with australian lacewood
sanded to 600, polished/buffed with buffing compound, waxed and buffed again. Not a high shine but just a light luster.

Keith Burns
03-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Congrats Tyler !! Should help with some new tools you just can't live without:D

Robert McGowen
03-30-2007, 1:49 PM
Excellent.... now you have to enter the "professional" category for any contests here. :eek:

If you are selling to a "disposable income" type store any way, make sure that you sign any check, etc. in front of the owner with one of your pens.....and accidently drop it on the counter in front of him......you never know. :D

TYLER WOOD
03-30-2007, 1:57 PM
Oh you have no clue Robert. I saw an olive wood pen that was plain jane with a couple of vee grooves that you could see tear out on the grooves, see sanding marks, no finish. $189!!!:eek:

I really feel I could do a better job and a pen with my eyes closed. It was a real shame to see it trying to be sold for that. I don;t care how rare or exotic wood it is made out of. If the craftsmanship is not up to snuff, it's not worth much. Maybe to you or your family, but to sell it in a store? nope! I will bre bringing some pens and other items for him to look at as well.

Rich Stewart
03-30-2007, 2:25 PM
Got any pictures of that humidor?

TYLER WOOD
03-30-2007, 2:49 PM
Will have some in a couple of days. Maybe Monday. I'm bad about not getting pics of things. I don't have access to internet at home so all of my time on is at work. I forget to bring the pics to the office with me.