PDA

View Full Version : Completed bookshelf set pics

Ken Porter
03-29-2007, 10:51 PM
These two bookshelves were built from a woodsmith plan. They are made of poplar and radiata pine. The backs are beadboard instead of flat plywood. The face frames were constructed with pocket holes screws and then attached to the cases with biscuits. The finish is Zinsser shellac based primer under Sherwin Williams semi gloss paint to match the trim and doors inside the house. The adirondack chairs are not bookshelves, but they are comfortable.

Eugene A. Manzo III
03-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Very nice looking job !!! I love the woodsmith plans (even though I've only completed one project out of them)

Roy Wall
03-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Ken -

Those match the house perfecty!! Nice work! The chairs are awesome and I like your shop (bench) dog!:)

Ted Shrader
03-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Ken -

Great work. I like the bead board back. Shop dog is pretty cool, too!

Regards,
Ted

Tom Cowie
03-30-2007, 8:28 AM
Nice job Ken ,

I have to build a set of those chairs.. They do look comfortable

Tom

Mike Hill
03-30-2007, 8:35 AM
Ken: Very nice job on the bookcases, clean looking and certainly a popular style these days. Did you have a plan or those chairs? My wife has been bugging me to build a couple.

Mike

Scott Loven
03-30-2007, 8:46 AM
Question: I have never used a biscuit joiner so am curious as to how you attach a face frame to the carcass with biscuits? Do you fit the rails and stiles to the frame as separate pieces without glue and then pocket hole the frame together and then biscuit/glue the frame to the carcass?
Scott

Ken Porter
03-30-2007, 9:21 AM
The adirondack chairs were built from the plans available from Grizzly. As for the face frame, I assembled the whole thing with pocket hole screws then laid the frame on the cabinet to mark reference points to line up biscuit slots. Then I removed the frame and cut the slots in the back of the frame and the front of the cabinet. I referenced both sets of slots to the outside edge of the case with the biscuit joiner fence. I hope this answers your questions. Thanks for the encouraging comments.

Don Bullock
03-30-2007, 9:26 AM
Great bookshelves. They really match the house well. You have a right to be proud of your work.

Mark Engel
03-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Very nice job on the bookcases. They look great!

By the way, you can use Adirondack chairs as bookcases in a pinch. ;)

glenn bradley
03-30-2007, 12:31 PM
The chairs are where you sit to read ;-) Nice looking unit. I like the backing! Great job.

Mike Watts
03-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Nice. I am just about to start painting two bookshelves that I just built from those plans. Did you spray or brush?

Jim Becker
03-30-2007, 5:30 PM
Nice job, Ken, although that first bookcase looks strangely like a small dog... :D

Charles Jackson III
03-30-2007, 6:16 PM
Nice projects, nice puppy u got there.

Ken Porter
03-30-2007, 8:33 PM
The bookshelf that looks like a small dog is actually none other than a small dog named Bailey. The paint is brushed on the trim areas and foam rollered on the flat areas. I used a 6" foam roller and despite what they claim, it did not work in the corners for me. I like the look of brushed on painted trimwork. Thanks for looking.

Eric Wong
04-03-2007, 2:36 PM
Very nice! Classic look, clean lines. I like it.

Larry Fox
04-03-2007, 3:20 PM
Very cool - those look nice.