PDA

View Full Version : Show and Tell...first ever hand tool projects

Louis Bois
03-29-2007, 9:27 PM
I thought it would be interesting to see where people began their decline into the sensible world of hand tools... I'd love to hear your stories if you'd be willing to share.

Here's mine...

I was just browsing at the computer, not thinking much (computers are just modern tv's) when I began thinking about the origins of my woodworking interest.

It all started about 12 years ago while I was browsing some old woodworking magazines a friend passed on to me. There were all kinds of interesting articles and projects with power tools...something I wasn't too keen on jumping into...and then I came across an article about a shaker lap desk.

This thing just had all the right proportions and looked so simple at first glance. I pretty much had zero skills and about as many tools (wedding present socket set aside) but I really had a desire to build some sort of "box" using hand tools...with dovetails - I thought they looked so elegant on the lap desk.

Since I didn't need a lap desk, I asked my wife if there was anything she needed. She expressed a desire for a tea chest of some sort. I think she thought I could pretty much build anything at that point...gotta love her. So I said, "sure, no problem". I'll just need to buy a few tools. :eek:

I had no idea about used tool markets, etc...completely clueless. So I did the next best thing: off to Lee Valley. I bought a set of Marples blue chips, LV brand dovetail and small carcase saws and a few shiny brass things to embelish my work if it fell short of the mark!:rolleyes:

The result is shown below. It's made of curly red oak and has faults - the lid is laminated of 3 pieces...not taking into account the growth ring orientation...or grain for that matter. The lid curls up every winter. Keeps me humble...and it holds tea. Success.

...and I was rummaging through some old boxes in the basement this evening and came across these old wooden sticks with metal bars on them. Anyone have a use for these?

...I still use my Marples...

Cheers,

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 10:07 PM
At this juncture, I cannot say that I've done any project largely with Neander inclinations. But buying that first quality block plane at least started the process of doing more and more work with hand-tools when they are the right choice. Maybe once I get all the cabinetry, etc., done for the addition, I'll challenge myself to a largely Neander project just for grins...maybe with one of my girls since there is no way they are getting anywhere near a power tool!

Ryan Cathey
03-29-2007, 10:18 PM
You're kidding about "anyone needing" those bergs right?...just checking

Ron Brese
03-29-2007, 10:25 PM
I'll take the wooden sticks with metal bars on them if you're just looking for someone to take them off your hands. And by the way that's a quite nice place to store tea.

Ron

Ryan Cathey
03-29-2007, 10:27 PM
I saw 'em first...back off Ron!:D

Clint Jones
03-29-2007, 10:40 PM
I have a couple of those chisels with the sharks on em. I like the Bergs ALOT! I have a couple of extra handles with just about the full decal on em if anyone has a socket around? Maybe I can get the socket from you or you can get the handles from me!

Ryan Cathey
03-29-2007, 10:43 PM
I've got a tanged one with some pitting and no handle. I think it's about 1 3/8" wide...anyone interested?

Rob Millard
03-30-2007, 7:25 AM
I’m not sure my first hand tool only project survived, but the photo labeled “first” is the earliest known. I made this in 1979 or 1980 when I was 13-15. I can still remember standing outside at a Black and Decker Workmate with a cheap Stanley Handyman chisel, an old rabbet plane, my then new No. 7 Jointer plane and a dull handsaw making this box. It is nailed together, with “plastic” wood dough filling the nail holes, because at the time I bought into the dovetail mystique and was afraid to try them.

It wasn’t until last year, I made another hand tool only project ( well, sort of since I had to use the lathe), but I now I’ve made four with a fifth nearing completion. Three of these are shown at the links below.
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34348&highlight=millard (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34348&highlight=millard)

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39844&highlight=millard (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39844&highlight=millard)
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45851

Rob Millard
www.americanfederalperiod.com (http://www.americanfederalperiod.com)

Louis Bois
03-30-2007, 8:31 AM
I'm glad to see that Swedish steel is still popular! Eskilstuna was a steel hub similar to England's Sheffield or America's .......fill in the blank here. Another brand to look out for is Jernbolaget. Excellent stuff!

...sorry guys, not for sale...although everything's for sale at the right price, isn't it?!?:cool:

Clint, I'm looking for some handles, mostly for the larger sizes. I could trade you some of my "doubles" if you wish...and I've got some spare handles for the smaller sizes as well.

Nice work Rob...always inspiring.

Jim, forget about your daughters and power tools...start worrying about BOYFRIENDS!!!!!:eek:

Jim Becker
03-30-2007, 9:20 AM
Jim, forget about your daughters and power tools...start worrying about BOYFRIENDS!!!!!

Sometimes I think that boyfriends might be safer than power tools...at least with these two...but I appreciate the sentiment!

Derek Cohen
03-30-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm glad to see that Swedish steel is still popular! ... I'm looking for some handles...

Louis, I do love using my Berg chisels. However I consider the handles to be the one area of poor design if you use them principally for paring (vey light tapping only, no heavy mallet use). They are just too short for comfort (I dislike hoops on handles unless they are to be wacked).

Here are my re-handled Bergs:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/IMG_2145.jpg

You can get an idea of the scale of the handles against the Japanese chisels on the left.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/IMG_2141.jpg

I can't recall the first handtool project but I can recall when the light went on and I began to take handtools more seriously. It was about 15 years ago. I was hanging doors in our (then) newly-built house, the Makita power plane blaring, sucking up the dust, hating the noise .. when I became aware that the Makita was not cutting as it should. The blades were blunt. It was too late in the day to shop at the local borg. So I grabbed my late-father-in-law's Stanley #3 that was then the only handplane I owned, and proceeded to use this to finish the doors. It was a moment of revelation to experience shavings flowing in the silence. In no time at all the doors were done. I never used the Makita again.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Louis Bois
03-30-2007, 7:46 PM
Derek, that's definitely a project worth considering. I don't have a lathe but have been considering making some octagonal handles for many of my edge tools. Great job on yours, btw...they must be comfortable to wield.

Do you have any idea which came first on the Bergs: the tangs or the sockets?!? There really isn't a good resource research-wise on the E.A.B.'s...at least, not that I've been able to find. From discussions with other Berg-men, they seem to think the sockets came first...hmmm.

Derek Cohen
03-30-2007, 11:54 PM
Do you have any idea which came first on the Bergs: the tangs or the sockets?!?

Hi Louis

I do not know. My guess it that the tangs came first. Sockets are more difficult to manufacture, and the technology to do so must have developed later.

All my Bergs are of the tang type. I have not used Bergs with sockets, but I imagine that the tangs would be less nose-heavy. Having said that, I enjoy using my socketed Witherbys as they also feel balanced and light in the hand.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rickie Miller
02-26-2013, 3:10 PM
Do you still have the old tools you are trying to get rid of if you do please email me at millerrickei13@gmail.com

I thought it would be interesting to see where people began their decline into the sensible world of hand tools... I'd love to hear your stories if you'd be willing to share.

Here's mine...

I was just browsing at the computer, not thinking much (computers are just modern tv's) when I began thinking about the origins of my woodworking interest.

It all started about 12 years ago while I was browsing some old woodworking magazines a friend passed on to me. There were all kinds of interesting articles and projects with power tools...something I wasn't too keen on jumping into...and then I came across an article about a shaker lap desk.

This thing just had all the right proportions and looked so simple at first glance. I pretty much had zero skills and about as many tools (wedding present socket set aside) but I really had a desire to build some sort of "box" using hand tools...with dovetails - I thought they looked so elegant on the lap desk.

Since I didn't need a lap desk, I asked my wife if there was anything she needed. She expressed a desire for a tea chest of some sort. I think she thought I could pretty much build anything at that point...gotta love her. So I said, "sure, no problem". I'll just need to buy a few tools. :eek:

I had no idea about used tool markets, etc...completely clueless. So I did the next best thing: off to Lee Valley. I bought a set of Marples blue chips, LV brand dovetail and small carcase saws and a few shiny brass things to embelish my work if it fell short of the mark!:rolleyes:

The result is shown below. It's made of curly red oak and has faults - the lid is laminated of 3 pieces...not taking into account the growth ring orientation...or grain for that matter. The lid curls up every winter. Keeps me humble...and it holds tea. Success.

...and I was rummaging through some old boxes in the basement this evening and came across these old wooden sticks with metal bars on them. Anyone have a use for these?

...I still use my Marples...

Cheers,

Brian Thornock
02-26-2013, 4:37 PM
My first (and so far only) all neander project was a marking knife out of kingwood. The metal saw a grinder, but all the woodwork was done with a cheap stanley saw, a crappy craftsman block plane, and an iwasaki file. Love that thing!

Stanley Covington
02-26-2013, 7:42 PM
Louis:

Very nicely done. I would have never guessed it was red oak. And the dovetails are very nicely done.

The curly lid thing is a pain, ain't it. One solution I know of is to add a couple of shallow battens just a little thicker than the lid at each end of the underside of the lid just clearing the four walls of the carcass. If you glue one end of each of these battens, perhaps 1-1/2" to 2", to the lid, and secure the center and opposite end with slender dowels glued into tight holes in both lid and batten, it may not entirely resolve the problem but it will go a long way to keeping the lid flat. Ideally, you would attach these battens when the lid is 1/2 way through its curve cycle to average out forces.

The downside to this method is that you loose a bit of space inside the chest, but I think that is better than a laughing lid.

I know this flies in the face of the valid principle of not restraining wide panels to avoid shrinkage cracks, but if the battens are attached as I suggested there is enough wiggle to avoid cracking. On the other hand, if you glue the battens over their entire length, the results in a few years may be less than ideal.

I have a couple of cedar boxes bigger than your tea chest made this way. Plainsawn wood, not quartersawn. They were made in Japan pre-war for the artillery design department of the Imperial University of Tokyo (now Tokyo University) and held precision measuring instruments. I salvaged them from a rubbish bin when I was student there about 30 years ago. I fitted them to hold chisels and have lugged them around the world and subjected them to severe humidity swings from equatorial tropics to the deserts of Nevada and the dry winters of the US Midwest. The lids move a bit, but they always close tight. I had expected them to self-destruct a long time ago, but they are not cracked at all. I would not be surprised if they lasted another 75 years. I imitated these when making the boxes for my carving tools out of sassafras wood. They too are holding up very well after 11 years.

Stan

Daniel Hartmann
02-27-2013, 9:08 AM
My first hand tool project was a work bench. Douglas fir top and SYP base. The lumber yard near me had some nice 16' Douglas fir 4x6's which yielded a nearly 96"x 22" top. I wanted larger timbers for the top so there would be fewer pieces to joint by hand. Second project was the anarchist tool chest. Prior to the work bench I had never really done any woodworking. Just home maintenance. I spent a year slowly acquiring the tools needed to build the bench. I have two young sons and so I didn't want any power tools that could hurt them. My youngest really likes working with me! The time we have shared building stuff wouldn't have been possible if I had bought loud, dangerous power tools...

steven c newman
02-27-2013, 9:34 AM
I moved from a large pole barn shop, into a corner of a cellar "Dungeon Shop", and HAD to ;eave the big power tools behind. First project of the new shop was a small table for a Kitchen Office space255549That had to match an existing chair. 90% hand tool work. Used a lot of tricks I learned back in High School Industrial Arts Class, back in the late 60s. Even the tapered legs were done with just a couple hand planes. Just finished a "TV Table" using the same "tricks" to make it255550from old, reclaimed lumber. Next "Project"???

bob blakeborough
02-27-2013, 1:29 PM
My first true hand tool project was this version of the school box...

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/312203_10150775975545693_3218385_n.jpg
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/304923_10150784885325693_8057146_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/316585_10150784885235693_4354875_n.jpg