PDA

View Full Version : Source for Plane Lever Caps

Brad Holst
03-29-2007, 9:11 PM
Hello,

I was referred to this site because I was asking questions about hand planes on a luthier site. They answered many questions but I was told, "If you want more...". I hope to find out more about blade steels and sharpening later.

First, does anyone know where I can find plane lever caps for 2 planes:
1. A jack plane with a 2 inch blade stamped "Worth". A Stanley cap won't work because the lever cap screw is positioned closer to the mouth.

2. A Stanley block plane, probably a 9 1/2

I called Highland Woodworking but they thought their replacement caps were for more recent models.

Thanks for any input, Brad

Tyler Howell
03-29-2007, 9:21 PM
Welcome to the creek.
Flea Markets and garage sales are a great place to find parts.
I bought a couple of train wrecks just for the totes.;)
I talked up my knuckle dragging efforts to family and friends and old planes woukd come out of the wood work.
I must have recieve 4 planes from people cleaning out their basements

Louis Bois
03-29-2007, 9:31 PM
Brad, I'd try Walt Quadratto (google Brass City Toolworks). He's a veritable treasure trove of parts and information.

You might keep your eyes on Flea-bay as well...you can find part lots for very reasonable bucks...or beater planes with lever caps intact can be had for a song.

Good luck and welcome to the creek!

Andrew Williams
03-29-2007, 9:31 PM
st. james bay tools makes some lever caps

Brad Holst
03-29-2007, 9:39 PM
Yeah, even though garage sales can eat up a lot of time,...so can sitting in front of a computer searching for items. And, garage sales are more fun.

Brad Holst
03-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Looks like a great site for used tools. Prices seem reasonable. Why am I taking chances on Ebay??

Clint Jones
03-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Looks like a great site for used tools. Prices seem reasonable. Why am I taking chances on Ebay??
Walt is a good guy to deal with. You will know what you are buying is not damaged and most of his stuff is top notch. I cant say the same for ebay. If you need any paticular plane let me know. I probably have it and will sell them for about the same price as walt.

jonathan snyder
03-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Brad,

You might also try Sandy moss http://www.sydnassloot.com/tools.htm I have gotten parts form him in the past.

Jonathan