PDA

View Full Version : Crockpot as Turning Aid?

George Tokarev
03-29-2007, 4:31 PM
Two crockpots cooking down the beef burgundy for the seven other folks arriving for dinner tonight, and I still had a chance to run off a couple roughs today. Love those slo-cooker things. They cook while chores and fun take up my time. They get as much use as the Foreman!

Sanded 120 and awaiting dry enough for finer. They're about 8.5 each. Any guesses as to which was from the bottom of the log as it spent the winter?

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2007, 4:41 PM
George - great looking bowls! Just love cherry! I notice that the bowl on left has a nice natural bark edge, one on right doesn't. I am guessing the bowl on right was located on bottom of log and lost the bark as result of higher moisture.

Jonathon Spafford
03-29-2007, 4:57 PM
Beautiful bowls... I really like natural edges! Very nice shapes! I would probably go with Steve in his supposition... the right was on the bottom!

John Chandler
03-29-2007, 5:11 PM
Nice looking bowls.

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2007, 5:17 PM
Bowls are beauties. Nice job.

George Tokarev
03-30-2007, 6:36 AM
A cheroot to the group. Lack of bark, worm tracks, even the hole near the rim. More important, a lesson in cherry and walnut and other woods with dark hearts and white sapwood. You want white, get into them early, or leave the log unrotated. Wet side (near) of the barkless has sapwood cooked to near the color of the heart.

Mike Turkley
03-30-2007, 6:51 AM
Nice looking bowls NE George. I have some cherry waiting for me to go get it. But first got to use up the maple that I currently have.

MikeT

Daniel Heine
03-30-2007, 9:19 AM
George,

The bowls are beautiful. I'm looking for the recipe for that beef burgundy, however!!!

Dan Heine

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2007, 9:36 AM
George,

The bowls are beautiful. I'm looking for the recipe for that beef burgundy, however!!!

Dan Heine

Ditto!.............

George Tokarev
03-30-2007, 2:18 PM
www.allrecipies.com (http://www.allrecipies.com) for Beef Burgundy II. My favorite place to go and do a search for dinner plans based on what's in the fridge!

Try the Mediterranean chicken.

Fish tonight, poached in V8, seasoned with shallots.

Neal Addy
03-30-2007, 2:55 PM
LOL! I opened this expecting a tutorial on drying bowl blanks in a crock pot!

:rolleyes:

Bob Opsitos
03-30-2007, 3:03 PM
Ditto!.............

Ditto^2

Bob

Patrick Taylor
03-30-2007, 3:23 PM
I've got a pork roast going now while I'm at work. Carnitas tonight! Very easy and tastes great.

Doug Collins
03-30-2007, 3:50 PM

I too was expecting a debate about the benefits of soaking blanks in a crockpot with some liquid followed by an indepth explanation of the chemical reaction at the molecular level. Recipes.... Go figger.:)

Nicholas Briggs
03-30-2007, 6:05 PM

Make that 4.

Anyone actualy have a tutorial on how to dry blanks in a crock pot???

George Tokarev
03-31-2007, 8:20 AM
One would suppose the title of that thread would contain the word "drying" rather than "turning" aid?

As far as wood in the kitchen, I have wondered how effective a microwave with moisture sensor might be at preserving integrity while drying a piece. Take the by Guess and God out of it.