PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Clock Finished

Jim Becker
12-21-2003, 10:52 PM
The Shaker wall clock I previously posted about was finished and hung this weekend...well, it's done except for the glass in the top since the dude at the 'Depot didin't cut it accurately. A new piece was procured tonight and it will go in tomorrow. This design is the NYW (http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?305) version featured by Norm many years ago--it's also in his Shaker projects book which I worked from this time around. This clock is made from black walnut off our property and has a birdseye maple panel in the lower door. That lower door provides access to where we will be hanging our car keys, etc., as the piece is convenient to our entry door.

The finish is BLO followed by blond de-waxed shellac rubbed out with a white synthetic pad and paste wax. I really like the clarity that shellac affords to a project and have started using it more and more.

Lessons learned from this project...pay more attention to "square" so less "adjustment" is required along the way. Further, build the clock to fit the clock face, rather than make adaptations...I used the Shaker clock face kit from Lee Valley for this one and it's a little undersized. I like Chris Becksvoort's recommendation to start with the clock face and build from there and the next versions will be done that way, no matter where the innards are sourced.

Shown below are the clock both closed and open as well as what it looks like on the wall. I really do recommend this project type for anyone wanting an enjoyable and useful item from their shop. It's good for your home as well as for a special gift.

Terry Hatfield
12-21-2003, 10:57 PM
Jim,

The bird's eye did the trick. Really nice contrast and great job on the constuction. I hear ya on the "square" deal. :D That's why I got the edge sander. :D

Congrats on a great project!!

t

Ken Salisbury
12-21-2003, 11:00 PM
Nice Job Jim ! ! ! ! !

Don Abele
12-21-2003, 11:03 PM
Jim, excellent piece, and as others have said, the birdseye really pops. Excellent contrast.

Be well,

Doc

Bob Lasley
12-21-2003, 11:05 PM
Looks good Jim! Square? Isn't that something that only exists in a perfect world? ;) I keep telling myself that everytime something isn't.

Bob

Mark Singer
12-21-2003, 11:08 PM
The Shaker wall clock I previously posted about was finished and hung this weekend...well, it's done except for the glass in the top since the dude at the 'Depot didin't cut it accurately. A new piece was procured tonight and it will go in tomorrow. This design is the NYW (http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?305) version featured by Norm many years ago--it's also in his Shaker projects book which I worked from this time around. This clock is made from black walnut off our property and has a birdseye maple panel in the lower door. That lower door provides access to where we will be hanging our car keys, etc., as the piece is convenient to our entry door.

The finish is BLO followed by blond de-waxed shellac rubbed out with a white synthetic pad and paste wax. I really like the clarity that shellac affords to a project and have started using it more and more.

Lessons learned from this project...pay more attention to "square" so less "adjustment" is required along the way. Further, build the clock to fit the clock face, rather than make adaptations...I used the Shaker clock face kit from Lee Valley for this one and it's a little undersized. I like Chris Becksvoort's recommendation to start with the clock face and build from there and the next versions will be done that way, no matter where the innards are sourced.

Shown below are the clock both closed and open as well as what it looks like on the wall. I really do recommend this project type for anyone wanting an enjoyable and useful item from their shop. It's good for your home as well as for a special gift.

Jim,
Very nice and great finish. Walnut from your own property...that is something I can only dream about....I have a few citrus trees, I guess thats not the same thing. Nice job and it is great to see your work.
Mark

Martin Shupe
12-21-2003, 11:35 PM
I said I thought flame walnut would look better in the door, but the birdseye maple really works better.

Wonderful job, as usual.

This project is on my list, but it is a long list, and I am the world's slowest woodworker.

Von Bickley
12-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Jim,
Great looking work as usual. Thanks for posting the pictures.......

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2003, 12:21 AM
Looks good Jim! Square? Isn't that something that only exists in a perfect world? ;) I keep telling myself that everytime something isn't.

Bob

Well Bob.....you hit the nail on the head with that one..!!!! I was just "fussing" about something not being square just this weekend.

Mr. Becker.....you did really good there. An excellent style and an absolutely WONDERFUL finish on the clock..!!!! LOML would NEVER let me have something like that in my shop.....she'd nab it and put it in the house.....just like she did with the wooden sanding block that Lasley made for me. Shoot...Bob even had to make me another one and write on it for shop use only, not for display.!!! ;)

Todd Burch
12-22-2003, 12:21 AM
Nice job Jim! Keep those projects coming! Todd.

Jim Becker
12-22-2003, 12:32 AM
LOML would NEVER let me have something like that in my shop.....she'd nab it and put it in the house.....

Yup...that's why it's in the kitchen! :D

Bruce Page
12-22-2003, 1:23 AM
Jim, that turned out beautiful! As terry said, the contrast between the black walnut and the birds eye maple really sets the piece off.

David Blangger
12-22-2003, 1:38 AM
Great job Jim! Love the birdseye and almost anything Shaker;)

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-22-2003, 7:43 AM
Fine looking Time Piece Jim! A perfect example of "Simple Elegance". The Shaker Style has always been a favorite of mine, and it is no wonder to me why it had stood the test of time. Great Choice of Wood for this project. I agree with the others...............the Birdseye really sets off the appearance. Great finish, and it must be such a satisfaction to use wood that once stood on your property. Thanks for sharing the pictures Jim....................REALLY nice stuff! :)

Dan Smith
12-22-2003, 7:45 AM
Jim,

Clock looks great!! And I bet it adds a very nice accent to your already very nice kitchen.

How long did you season the walnut? I know you told me when I was there, but I do not recall. I have a few trees on my stead that I want to harvest (one big walnut, mulberry, maple and a lot of black locust). Did you use the 1 year / inch theory?

Thanks, and again, looks great!!

-dan

Jim Becker
12-22-2003, 9:07 AM
How long did you season the walnut? I know you told me when I was there, but I do not recall. I have a few trees on my stead that I want to harvest (one big walnut, mulberry, maple and a lot of black locust). Did you use the 1 year / inch theory?

The walnut I have (as well as the poplar) was cut down in June 2000 and milled in early August or so. (Due to all the septic construction, I couldn't get the mill in until then) The material was stickered and stacked outdoors for two years and most was brought in after that. There are still a few boards of walnut at the bottom of the poplar that remains outside...I need to get that in soon, especially now that I have a good machine to process it. I did skim-plane the walnut when I brought it in and used thin 1/4" stickers to let air circulate in the stack. The good thing about walnut is that it dries well and is pretty stable.

I don't subscribe to the '1" per year" myth per sé...every species is different in how it dries and the local ambient moisture conditions and wind patterns will affect that time. The best way to judge if lumber is ready to bring in for acclimation is with a moisture meter...something that every woodworker should own, even to check the material they bring home from their suppliers. The total MC is less important than having consistent MC in a project. That way. wood movement is predicable. In most cases, anything 12% MC or lower is just fine. KD lumber will actually increase in MC after it's in your shop for awhile as it seeks parity with local conditions, although it typically will still be lower than air-dried material.

For walnut, you really do want air-dried if you can get it. The color is much better as most KD walnut is steamed to make the sapwood darker and the heartwood lighter...to match, so to speak for larger yields. Unfortunately, that also kills all the nice purples, greens and shades of brown inherent in walnut and makes it all the same ruddy brown color...which some folks actually use dyes to revive!

You may want to browse through Bruce Hoadley's Understanding Wood for more detailed information about wood and drying wood. "How" you go about it is quite important.

Jim Becker
12-22-2003, 9:08 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. This was a good project and as always, things were learned in the process.

Happy Holidays!

Tom Sweeney
12-22-2003, 10:05 AM
The clock turned out great Jim - - Love the birdseye / Walnut combination. Really sharp - I think I'll put this on my list of to do's (lesseee if I put it on the list now I should get it done by Feb - 2006)

and to all you experts acting like you have problems with something as basic as keeping things square - you're just trying to make us hacks feel good - THANKS :D

Chris DiCiaccio
12-22-2003, 10:12 AM

Jim, Excellent! Great workmanship!

Bill Grumbine
12-22-2003, 11:22 AM
Very nice Jim! I've been reading on your progress with this project, and it sure came out nice looking. I've got one of those Shaker clock faces laying around somewhere that I bought years ago. It would fit right in our house - once we get walls up that is! :D

Bill

Jim Becker
12-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Very nice Jim! I've been reading on your progress with this project, and it sure came out nice looking. I've got one of those Shaker clock faces laying around somewhere that I bought years ago. It would fit right in our house - once we get walls up that is! :D

Oh, I don't know...from a minimalist standpoint, hanging one of these clocks over open studs could be an interesting effect... :D

Hoppy Halidays!

John Miliunas
12-22-2003, 1:38 PM
Awesome job, Jim! No less than what we've come to expect from you. In time, (gimme 12 or 13 years...) I'll be able to match that! One of these years.... :rolleyes:

Hey, keep up the great work! Always enjoy seeing your projects. And, of course, the best to you and yours for the Holidays! :cool:

Jim Becker
12-22-2003, 1:43 PM
Awesome job, Jim! No less than what we've come to expect from you. In time, (gimme 12 or 13 years...) I'll be able to match that! One of these years....

I appreciate your confidence, John, but honestly, just about anyone could do a better job on this project than I did without trying hard! Don't get me wrong, I really like the results, but I have a lot to lean before I'm going to be as satisfied as I'd like to be.

Hoppy Halidays!

Jerry Todd
12-22-2003, 1:53 PM

Jim,
Beautiful workmanship. I Like the clock design. Another item to be placed on the " must do" list.
Jerry

Daniel Rabinovitz
12-22-2003, 3:23 PM
Just georgeous!
Real nice work, Jim
Daniel