PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article From Lee Valley...Applicable TO Neander Methods

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 3:48 PM
This article caught my eye relative to using reflections to make judgements in the shop.

http://www.leevalley.com/newsletters/Woodworking/1/3/article1.htm

Dave Anderson NH
03-29-2007, 4:10 PM
It's so true Jim. One of the most accurate measuring devices ever developed is the old Mark I Eyeball. The trick is to train your brain to trust your eye and that takes some time.

Jonathon Spafford
03-29-2007, 4:54 PM
Nice article... hey, most of the old timers you read about used their eyes for measurement almost exclusively. It is much more accurate than most people think. The trick is to exercise and practice precision instead of going the lazy route of precision tools. The other day I was putting a handle on a cabinet and I wanted it to be equal distant from each side (18" from the top and 18" from the bottom). Because of laziness I just eyeballed it and when I measured it I had got it within maybe 1/32" of center. I am sure my eyes aren't any more accurate than others though (I actually have a really strong prescription for my glasses)... I just think most people underestimate the accuracy of the human eye.

Don Bullock
03-29-2007, 5:05 PM
Great article Jim. I remember a post from Per stating that he often uses his eye and finger tips instead of a ruler. I've caught myself doing the same thing. Sometimes rulers are hard to read and they can slide a bit and throw off a measurement.

Hank Knight
03-29-2007, 5:19 PM
Thanks for the link and the push, Jim. The Lee Valley article came across my e-mail a day or so ago, but I haven't taken the time to read it. Chris Schwarz has come up with some interesting techniques for eyeballing accurate work. I'm anxious to try them out. For a while I felt vaguely guilty when I went with an eyeball measurement - like I was sloughing off and not using an appropriate instument for the job. Little by little, however, I've learned to trust my eyeball. It's amazing how close you can get with it. Eyeballing is a lot easier and probably at least as accurate as a layout tool in some circumstances.

Glenn Clabo
03-29-2007, 5:35 PM
Interesting...When I was taught to do this thing called woodworking...I was told...the exact measurement has nothing to do with the end result. I've found that if I get in trouble it's because of a "measurement"...not my skill. I try very hard to use my eye...and story poles to "measure".

Now...that said...I went from a carpentor...to machinist. That is a horrible combo.

p.s.- I'm building a vanity for the powderoom re_do...I have not used a measuring stick yet!

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 10:03 PM
When I think about it, I actually do use the old (unfortunately true description) "Mark One Eyeballs" a lot in my projects as I tend to work without formal plans. Things like story sticks are an important part of my routine, too...even as a largely tailed-woodworker. If it doesn't look right...it most often isn't. And when I unfortunately do something stupid, it's most often because I wasn't looking carefully enough at what I was doing.

But the "reflective" things in this article are a real eye opener, pardon the expression. :) I never consciously considered this, although I've probably used it from time to time...

Jerry Palmer
03-30-2007, 9:22 AM
Even when working from plans, I always consider the dimensions as mere suggestions, especially when I get past the initial overall sizing. Even in my machine head days I could never simply cut parts to the plan dimensions and get them to fit regardless of how accurate I tried to be. Wood moves overnight and all the accuracy goes away. Dry assembly and story sticks with marking knife cuts and no rulers allowed when parts need to fit in or between other parts. One of the reasons I get so much more satisfaction from working by hand is that, since each joint is custom fitted individually instead of being "machined", the stuff just seems to come out better.

Greg Cole
03-30-2007, 9:34 AM
One thing about an article such as this makes me think... it is the most basic & simple things that are always the most overlooked, ignored or not used. Basics, basics, basics... or "K.I.S.S.".
Using my fingers for verification has been something I've been doing at my day job for years now... it is amazing how sensitive they are to very small variances. Machining steel bits to +/- 0.001mm is common here, and if you are outside that tolerance from one part to the next, it is as easy for me to feel as it is to get out a micrometer or caliper. I have taken that part of my day trade home for WW'ing... but trust in the naked eye takes a little more getting used to.

Mark Singer
03-30-2007, 10:05 AM
It is a good article....many things are better sighted and not measured....it is a hard ting to teach....there is a lot of experience required to make some of these judgements......you should respond to the work once it begins and less to the measurements....a lot of my work is not measured so much as compared as I am building....."this seat to the other one"....."This drawer compared to the one next to it"....a bit of character adds a touch of "the handmade to a piece"......but when and how much comes by developing an eye and sense of style.

I was doing a big steel frame house many years ago on a down slope lot and the steel fabricator had an instrument and bubble levels set up....
When I came out , just by eye I picked the two long wide flange columns that were out of plumb....I just cross sighted and there were enough by elimination I was able to pick them.....that comes with a trained eye...
I carry a small hand sight level in my car and I can check topos and grades pretty precisely....its not digital.....it must be held by hand....but it works...It is good to be able to use a transit as well.....years ago I did my own surveys........my old instrument and tripod are in my shop.....you never forget:rolleyes:

Brett Baldwin
04-01-2007, 6:52 PM
Our eyes (along with our brains) are really just highly precise and well trained pattern recognition devices. Its always good to go with your natural strengths. I know I never grab a board without sighting down the length. It really is amazing how precise our senses are especially if we train them.

Steve Hamlin
04-02-2007, 7:23 AM
It's tips of this nature, which might be gleaned from a greybeard (oops, better not look in the mirror until I've had a shave) peering over your shoulder, that are often missed when trying to book learn a practical skill - good stuff.
(Though it does rather add fuel to the argument that a tool may be old, but it is a work tool, so sod the patina/etching.)
Cheers
Steve

John D Watson
04-02-2007, 2:35 PM
This is not meant to offend anyone. In my previous work there was an addadge that machinists worked in tolerences of plus or minus a thousanth of an inch and we WW's worked in right-on. They would get out thier measuring sticks and we would look at it. We worked side by side and had alot of fun with this. It helped us maintain our competitive edge. It was absolutely amazing how often the trained eye was right. As noted this comes to all with practice, experience and the trained eye. Great article Jim, Thanks.

Dan Racette
04-02-2007, 4:11 PM
These are the the reasons I keep coming back here. Good catch Jim, Glad you posted.

Dan