PDA

View Full Version : Jointer with Parallelogram Beds & Spiral Cutter?

Matt Donohue
03-29-2007, 3:21 PM
I've been following the recent discussion about jointers with parallelogram beds and the separate discussion about spirl cutters on jointers. Does anyone know of an 8" jointer that comes with both? Grizzly appears to have separated the 2 features on their jointer models. Are the technologies mutually exclusive or is it just a marketing strategy?

Ted Miller
03-29-2007, 4:01 PM
Matt, You can use both options on one jointer, I would e-mail Griz to see what options they have to offer...

Vijay Kumar
03-29-2007, 4:41 PM
I've been following the recent discussion about jointers with parallelogram beds and the separate discussion about spirl cutters on jointers. Does anyone know of an 8" jointer that comes with both? Grizzly appears to have separated the 2 features on their jointer models. Are the technologies mutually exclusive or is it just a marketing strategy?
It is a marketing thing. At Grizzly, you will have to spring for a seperate spiral head for the parallelogram at additional cost. Dont know why it is this way , but it is. I am waiting for a 12 incher with a shellix already built in so I dont have to spend money and time swapping the cutter head. The only other way for a 12 incher is to buy their industrial model G 9860ZX for big bucks. There is no such option on the 8 incher.
Vijay

Joe Chritz
03-29-2007, 5:41 PM
When I bought the Grizzly 8" dovetail way jointer it was cheaper to order the spiral head seperate then already installed. Not sure why it was but thats how it worked out.

I bought the 8" with straight knives and the Byrd head for $38 bucks more than the 8" with the Grizzly spiral head pre-installed. The Byrd head is $50 bucks more than the Grizzly head.

Still waiting on the Byrd as it is backordered.

Joe

Ted Miller
03-29-2007, 5:57 PM
Heres another thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26167

Matt Donohue
03-30-2007, 8:23 AM
Thanks for the info. I guesss I'll just keep watching to see how fast the 2 technologies merge in the market place.