PDA

View Full Version : Latest router table

J.R. Rutter
03-29-2007, 3:01 PM
There is always talk about router tables vs shapers, and one issue that often comes up is the cost of a RT being almost as much as a shaper. I recently built a new table for our shop. It has all the functionality that I need, and saves space since it has 2 routers in one top. I'm sharing it as an example of a shop built solution for <$400 for a single router setup. The total cost for my version was still <$700.

The top is approx 24 x 36 x 1. The cabinet base was built from misc. stuff that was in the shop not being used. I wanted plenty of table hanging over the edges for clamping, but wanted the stability of a wider base, so I built a skinny cabinet open on both ends, and hung it between fir 4x4s. The fir is just dense enough to screw the caster stud bolt into an undersized hole in the bottom.

I got the routers, top plates, and router raizers from Amazon last year when they were on sale. It took a while to get around to building the table! The casters are 3" from Grizzly. They are quite nice and fairly inepensive. The bottom cavity holds 2 tubes of sand to add mass. It could also be bit and accessory storage, but I leave these 2 bits set up 95% of the time, so stability was more important.

I wired it up with a $5 12-ga. garage sale power cord going to a J-box, where it splits to the 2 switches. There is a single duplex outlet inside with one half wired to each switch. I wasn't sure where the table would end up, so I left the cord long and screwed some hooks on to hold it. The dust port is half of an old plastic gate screwed over a hole with weatherstripping to seal it.

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 3:05 PM
OOoooh....a DUALIE! Very nice, JR. I can imagine many situations that two spindles will come in handy.

J.R. Rutter
03-29-2007, 3:09 PM
The fence over the bevel bit (a really cool insert bit that Jesada was closing out last year) has a dust collection setup that I've been using for many years on my other table. I think I got the idea from someone on Badger Pond originally. There is a 2" hole drilled in the top, and a cavity in the fence base that covers the hole. All of the dust goes under the table, no extra hoses, no expensive fence. This fence with single, unadjustable plane covers the vast majority of tasks that you use a fence for. If you absolutely need an offset fence, you can either whip together another version or temporarily attach a scrap of laminate to the outfeed. The bolts are for a 1/4 HP power feeder that gets put on from time-to-time.

So the moral is that you CAN bild a really sweet router table for a lot less than a shaper. No it isn't as good at some things, but even with 6 shapers, I still find it a neccessity. Maybe someday I'll even get around to installing the Router Raizers!

J.R. Rutter
03-29-2007, 3:10 PM
I can imagine many situations that two spindles will come in handy.

Ah . . . if they only made counterclockwise rotating bits and routers!

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 3:26 PM
The hole in the table method was greatly popularized by Dizzy (http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/routertable.html), to the best of my knowledge. I used it on my last router table...the one now in Rob Bodenschatz's shop now...and was really pleased with not having a hose in the way. For your double table arrangement, it's even better in that respect 'cause the hose could get in the way.

J.R. Rutter
03-29-2007, 3:50 PM
Yes - Dizzy. That's where I first saw it.

Joe Trotter
03-30-2007, 5:38 PM
J.R.

I am curious about the two router concept. How is it used?

Thanks Joe

J.R. Rutter
03-30-2007, 8:11 PM
Two routers in one table just saves time and space. For instance - cabinet doors require 2 bits for the cope and stick joint. With a dual router setup, you can leave them set up in perfect adjustment. Then if a part gets ruined, you don't have to reset everything.

I use mine to do roundovers on raised profile drawer faces (like a fat raised panel), where they go through on edge with the back against the fence and the roundover bit spaced away from the fence the thickness of the drawer at the edge.

The other side is used for a stopped chamfer, or lamb's tongue, for door stiles. Since I do these cuts all the time, it just saves time (and therefore $$$).

My other table is a single and the bit is changed more frequently. We used to do it all on that single table, so we were constantly switching bits and fence settings. At ~ $1 / minute for shop time, that adds up fast! Here's one of my doors showing both applications.

http://www.hertco.com/images/Wood2006Full/SantaMariaKnAld400x770.jpg

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-30-2007, 8:43 PM
WHAT ~!! Ya couldn't find a better way to attached the fences? Huh? WASSAMATTA UU???

That's exactly how I do mine - C clamps.
And my table isn't nearly so sweet.

J.R. Rutter
03-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Ha! I know, I know!

I did put a piece of 1/4 steel rod at one end of each fence for a pivot point. I only have to use one clamp at the other end. Does that count for anything?