PDA

View Full Version : Adjust-a-bench question - hard to lift the top?

Matt Putnam
03-29-2007, 1:13 PM
I'm considering building a new ww bench and am interested in Noden's Adjust-a-bench for the base. My question is on the weight of the bench top itself and physically lifting it. I'm not sure yet on overall dimensions but it will probably be in the 30"x80" realm with a Record front vise and Veritas twin screw. Maple (maybe pecan) and ~2" thick. I have no idea on the overall weight of such a top but it seems like it will be heavy. Would such a top be difficult for one person to lift/adjust with Noden's system?
I guess I'm asking for input from someone using the system with a sizeable benchtop.
Thanks

glenn bradley
03-29-2007, 1:51 PM
I once had a bench that weighed about 200 lbs. I had wheels at one end that contacted the floor once the opposite end was raised about 2" for rolling about. Lifting only one end I did not have to strain to keep it up 'wheelbarrow' style. I only weigh about 155lbs myself.

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 2:51 PM
Matt, the answer is no...you lift only one side at a time and only a few "notches" at at time, too. Very easy. I have the nearly 2 1/4" thick top (~30" x ~60") that Geoffrey sells and could, if I wanted to, lift each end with one hand. (I use two for stability and less work and find two hands best when lowering as you need to slightly lift and then step on the release peddle)

Jeff Wright
03-29-2007, 3:02 PM
I agree that the bench top is not difficult to raise or lower. I have an AdjustaBench with a 30 x 72 1.75 inch maple top. However, after attaching the adjustable legs to the top, I found it impossible to turn it over right-side-up without the aid of a come-along to lift it.

I just completed installing two Record-knockoff vises, one on the front left and the other on the right end. I took a series of photos of the install if anyone is contemplating a similar install.

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 3:03 PM
However, after attaching the adjustable legs to the top, I found it impossible to turn it over right-side-up without the aid of a come-along to lift it.

I bribed Professor Dr. SWMBO with a little "good chocolate" to help turn mine over... LOL! :D

Doug Shepard
03-29-2007, 6:26 PM
...I have an AdjustaBench with a 30 x 72 1.75 inch maple top. However, after attaching the adjustable legs to the top, I found it impossible to turn it over right-side-up without the aid of a come-along to lift it.

Jeff
By any chance did you get the caster package? I'm thinking hard about getting a Noden and will have to get casters if I do, but I've got some concerns about the caster package that Noden sells and the not-so-flat floor I have. Do you think the Zambus casters could be attached to the Noden end panels?

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 9:39 PM
Doug, I don't know that you'd see much difference using the Zambus casters and the Noden casters. In fact, the latter retract fully. That said, I had them on my bench originally and after banging my angles a few times, took them off and sold them. I now have "traditional" bench feet (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20261) on mine setup and that works better for me since I need to level with shims given my shop floor slopes towards the doors.

To mount the Zambus casters, you'll need to put a piece of angle iron at the bottom of the end panels to hold the casters. There is no "flat bottom", per se.

Doug Shepard
03-29-2007, 9:56 PM
To mount the Zambus casters, you'll need to put a piece of angle iron at the bottom of the end panels to hold the casters. There is no "flat bottom", per se.

That's actually what I should have asked. Didn't phrase the question very well but wondered if maybe a piece of metal like Noden's might be needed to attach any sort of caster. What I also was thinking and didn't really ask, was this: Since the Zambus are self leveling and dont have a fixed height, let's say I roll the bench out and place it where it has a wobble. Rather than shimming, could the offending corner of the bench just be jacked up using the Zambus to remove the wobble? And would the bench still be stable? I know Jeff has the Zambus under his Minimax so wondered what his take would be.

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Doug, what you could do with the Zambus casters is have them in closer...the Noden casters are "big suckers" and the angle iron that they ride on is at just the right hight to be in the way, IMHO. (The singular thing I was not happy with, BTW...the rest of the system is outstanding) For the Zs, just make the angle about the a bit wider than the width of the end panels...something that will not catch your feet but still give stability. Perhaps surround it with some wood bumbers not unlike my "feet" idea for more "gentle engagement" of your ankles... :)

Oh, and I found I really didn't actually move the bench very much, so having wheels hasn't mattered one iota. It slides just fine for very occasional moves.

Jeff Wright
03-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Jeff
By any chance did you get the caster package? I'm thinking hard about getting a Noden and will have to get casters if I do, but I've got some concerns about the caster package that Noden sells and the not-so-flat floor I have. Do you think the Zambus casters could be attached to the Noden end panels?

I am a Zambus fan (have them on my MM20 BS and Oneida 3HP DC and will be installing them on my MM 410 Elite Combo), but find the standard Noden casters just fine. I move my bench a good bit, so don't see myself removing them as did Jim. They have a long adjustment threaded mounting bolt that would allow you to raise the bench on the lower end such as where one's garage shop floor sloped downward. You would adjust that bolt with either a wrench or cordless drill with a socket wrench. My bench is the single stretcher model that permits me to pull a stool up to one side and give me some foot and legroom.