PDA

View Full Version : Flexi Plexi?

David Fairfield
03-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Does anybody know of laser-able Plexiglass that has a little flex and spring to it?

I've made some Christmas ornaments from plexiglass but they are just too brittle and break with normal handling. The material needs to be clear, resiliant and laserable.

Solutions?

Thanks!
Dave

Joe Pelonio
03-29-2007, 11:19 AM
That's what would be great about Polycarbonate if we could use it.

There's something called Acrylite Plus that's more durable than plain acrylic, but still not flexible.

Rodne Gold
03-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Have a look for UHI acrylic , Ultra High impact.
It has a lot of the properties of poly carb but the machineability and laserability of plain pex. A LOT cheaper than poly , costs us like $1 per sq ft for 1.5mm , its flexible and doesnt snap when bent.

David Fairfield
03-30-2007, 8:14 PM
Cool, thanks, I'll google it and see if I can find a supplier. Just need a small quantity for now, to make some samples for next holiday season.

Dave

David Fairfield
03-30-2007, 8:19 PM
Heck, might as well ask :rolleyes: Does anyone know of a mail order supplier for UHI acrylic in small quantity?

Thanks again
Dave

Larry Bratton
03-30-2007, 8:54 PM
David, I think this is the stuff. If so, their is a supply locator on this page and info says it is laserable. Hope this helps.
http://www.eastman.com/Brands/Spectar/Availability/

Martin Reynolds
04-02-2007, 1:21 AM
yes, that's the stuff - PETG. It cuts clear and is pretty difficult to break.

Dave, I have some small pieces if you want to try it. You'll need a good exhaust system, it condenses out as white powdery residue so you want to keep it moving.

Drop me a mail if you are interested.

Martin Reynolds
04-02-2007, 1:27 AM
Even better, here's a bracket I cut from PETG. That part is cold bent, although I do prefer to heat it.

Larry Bratton
04-02-2007, 1:06 PM
Very Interesting! Thanks for sharing it. That looks like a very versitile material. It's polyester based which should be very laserable. I have a supplier here in my area Piedmont Plastics that carries it. They have multiple locations also, but they would ship UPS most anywhere I suspect.
http://www.piedmontplastics.com/