PDA

View Full Version : Table extensions for DW735 Planer

Dale Critchlow
12-21-2003, 10:13 PM
I finally acquired the DeWalt 735 13' planer. I have a couple of questions for someone who has one with the table extensions.

First Question: I am building a movable base which will roll under a shelf. In case I ever buy the table extensions, I want to make sure there is room to fold them up without hitting the shelf.

I was hoping someone could grab a rule and make a quick measurement.
Actually, the dimension I need is the distance for the top of the built-in table to the top of the extension when it is folded up.

Second question: Does the dust exhaust duct prevent the rear extension for folding up the whole way?

Thanks,

Dale Critchlow

Byron Trantham
12-21-2003, 10:43 PM
I finally acquired the DeWalt 735 13' planer. I have a couple of questions for someone who has one with the table extensions.

First Question: I am building a movable base which will roll under a shelf. In case I ever buy the table extensions, I want to make sure there is room to fold them up without hitting the shelf.

I was hoping someone could grab a rule and make a quick measurement.
Actually, the dimension I need is the distance for the top of the built-in table to the top of the extension when it is folded up.

Second question: Does the dust exhaust duct prevent the rear extension for folding up the whole way?

Thanks,

Dale Critchlow
Dale I got one for Christmas also. Mines sitting in the next room and I can't have it until Christmas. I have the same questions for the same reason. I know the main frame clears my mobile table but I can't tell if the tables clear the frame. You quation about the dust chute is a good one. I don't know that either. If it doesn't fit I'll have to build another one. Yuk! Good luck with yours.

Tyler Howell
12-23-2003, 10:48 AM
Gents,
21 inches is depth of unit with tables folded up and dust duct removed. Sorry mis-read your request, grabbed the ruler as I was running to work. I'll check again when I get home.

Tables will fold with dust duct on but out feed table doesn't fold flush.

TJH

Byron Trantham
12-23-2003, 10:51 AM
Gents,
21 inches with dust duct removed. A quick push and a twist.

Ductng and hose will hold it out about 8 more inches.

TJH

Well heck, now I have to rebuild my stand! :mad: Oh well, it will be worth it.

Dale Critchlow
12-23-2003, 1:24 PM
John K. Miliunas was kind enough to make the measurement for me. By chance he had just purchased extensions and was installing them this morning.

According to John, the top of the table extension when folded up is 9" from the main table of the planer. In fact, the top of the extension when folded up is below the top of the planer. Therefore, there is no problem.

There is a problem with folding up the outfeed extension because of the dust ductwork. He says that taking the outfeed extension off is not difficult.

Dale Critchlow

John Miliunas
12-23-2003, 10:13 PM
Just a bit more detail: The power cord handles are what appear to get most in the way on the outfeed side. If the outfeed side of the main table were longer, it wouldn't be an issue. But, as Dale indicated, removal/installation is a snap. Also, if storage depth is an issue, the DC collection port comes off just as easily. The extension tables and DC port are all spring-loaded, so it's quite painless to remove/install either. :cool:

Byron Trantham
12-24-2003, 9:06 AM
The extension tables and DC port are all spring-loaded, so it's quite painless to remove/install either. :cool:
Hum John, sounds more like maybe I won't have to rebuild my mobile table. I'll know tonight!!!!! :D :D

John Miliunas
12-24-2003, 10:04 AM
Hum John, sounds more like maybe I won't have to rebuild my mobile table. I'll know tonight!!!!! :D :D

Probably not, Byron. I planted mine on the same base I used to have my trusty old Ryobi and, even though the footprint is a bit bigger, it fit just fine. My present shop layout allows for it to be "parked" out in the open, but if needed to stash it off to the side, it'd be easy. Have fun with your new tooyl! :cool:

Byron Trantham
12-24-2003, 10:08 AM
Probably not, Byron. I planted mine on the same base I used to have my trusty old Ryobi and, even though the footprint is a bit bigger, it fit just fine. My present shop layout allows for it to be "parked" out in the open, but if needed to stash it off to the side, it'd be easy. Have fun with your new tooyl! :cool:
Thanks John. I will post some pics of the final installation. Have a very Merry Christmas.