PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Mortiser

John Crough
03-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Hi everyone,
Im a new member at SMC and just wanted to say hello, and ask for any input on a new benchtop mortiser. I have been reading past reveiws from many of the members on the Grizzly G0586 jointer, which I just received this week! I am very impressed with the jointer and was glad I was able to read your reviews and opinions as it reinforced my decision to buy it. So thanks again for your reviews! I am now looking to add a mortiser to my shop and was wondering which mortisers you have had a good experience with that has ample power and capacity. I am trying to stick with something in the $250- $300 dollar range. Thanks for any input!

Cary Falk
03-29-2007, 5:46 AM
John,
I just bought the Steel City one. It is still in the box But I did open it. I am pleased with my decision. It is heavy(85lbs) and has some nice features. If you buy it by the end of the month there is a $50 rebate that makes it $220. If it wasn't for this deal I would have probably went with the more expensive Delta. I think the SC one is as good or a little better than the Delta.
I have a flyer from Woodcraft that says the Jet will be on sale for $200 after rebate on April 14th. That's not bad but I didn't like the MDF table.
The General normally gets great reviews. It was out of my price range. I would have went with the Yorkie because of the X-y table for $189 but the shpping to the west coast is a deal breaker. The more expensive Delta normally comes out well in reviews also. Crqaftsman has one that I think is made by the same company as the zipcode saws and might be worth a look at.
I think the majorty of them will do the job. Just buy a cone sharpner at Rockler and keep the chisels sharp and you will be fine. Buy an x-y table on sale at HF to make you experience more pleasurable. If you are in the market for a tenoning jig Woodcraft has theirs on sale for $60. I got one and am quite impressed. It should be just as good as any other name brand at half the cost.
Cary

Ron Blaise
03-29-2007, 6:41 AM
That a friend has on his website. I own the same one and really like it. See link below.

http://www.cjohnhebert.com/shopfoxmorticer.htm

Rod Sheridan
03-29-2007, 8:33 AM
Hi, I have the General International mortiser and have been very pleased with it. I've used it for the past 6 years, it is accurate, has a good fence, and the gibs have brass rub strips with adjustment set screws to take up any wear.

The 1725 rpm drill cuts nicely and I haven't had any "burning" issues with the chisels in white oak, which is the most common wood used in my shop.

Regards, Rod.

Larry Fox
03-29-2007, 1:29 PM
I have the Delta and it works fairly well. Not something I use on every project or if I only have one or two mortises to cut but if I have quite a few (as with my current project) then it comes out and makes quick work of them. Holes need very little cleanup after. Decent tool but a plunge router will get you there as well.

richard poitras
03-29-2007, 1:46 PM
I have a delta that I used one time it works great and has the extension kit still in the box but I just don’t use if you are interested it , I would be willing to sell it my direct day time e-mail is richard.poitras@morlynet my location is in Saginaw,Mich.

Nancy Laird
03-29-2007, 3:34 PM
Check out the Woodtek version at www.woodworker.com (http://www.woodworker.com).

Nancy

Lou Morrissette
03-29-2007, 3:46 PM
I have the Delta and it has served me very well. As has been mentioned, keep the chisels sharp with the cone and any of the machines listed by others will do a good job.

Lou

Roy Bennett
03-29-2007, 6:03 PM
Buy a Harbour Freight mortiser on sale for $100, and add an X-Y vice for $30 more. Spend some time honing the chisels and you've got a GOOD machine.

Darl Bundren
03-29-2007, 7:16 PM
I have the Steel City mortiser and like it a bunch.

John Crough
03-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Ron,
Excellent review! I just saw the shop fox in my catalog from grizzly and I am leaning towards it due to the hp and capacity.

Thanks

John Crough
03-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Thanks everyone, you have all given me some good ideas on the different brands. I will certainly have some research to do.
Gary, I did get that tennoning Jig from Woodcraft, unfortunately I got it a month ago befor it went on sale so I paid $84 bucks. But its still a great jig, I think its a knock off of the Delta.