PDA

View Full Version : Festool C12? Worth it?

Martin Shupe
03-28-2007, 9:06 PM
OK, I have a few Festool items, sanders mostly, and I have been very pleased.

The C12 sounds nice, but I am not sure if I "need" it. I have used one at Kelly Mehler's, but now I wish I had inspected it more. I remember it was light and comfortable to use.

If I call Bob, I know I'll end up ordering one, so I'll ask here first.

Does the C12 take conventional drill bits? Or do you have to buy the individual drill bits with the hex sized bottoms from Festool? I have plenty of drill bits, and would prefer to use the ones I have.

Also, I think I read somewhere that the hex bits were a different size (metric?) than 1/4" like most available in the US. Seems like if Festool wants to market to the US, they should conform (at least a little) to our "norms".

I like the idea of the "offset" and "right angle" drills, but not so much that I want to buy a new set of expensive bits from Festool.

So... I guess if it will use my regular old US (well maybe Chinese) plain jane bits, I'm probably sold, but if not, well, maybe I can hold onto my heavy DeWalt a while longer.

I know, I know, the prices go up in a couple days, nothing like a little pressure, is there?

Jim Becker
03-28-2007, 9:21 PM
The C12 is a wonderful tool...and quite unique in it's motor design. I don't own one, but have fondled the same...I'm very enamored with my TDK 12v, but the C12 is even nicer. And yes, the different chuck configurations are great. (You definitely want the kit with all the goodies) Despite the fact that I "like" my Dewalt 14.4 drill/driver, my Festool drill/driver is my go-to tool 90% of the time. It's comfortable. Powerful. Holds a charge for a long time and really feels great in my hand. The C12 would be even nicer, IMHO, but it wasn't available when I bought.

Now...the Centrotec system "direct" will not grip a US-format hex bit, but the BH-65 gets around that and will work with all your current accessories. And there are no "native" square drive bits available. (Yea, Christian O knows about this "hole"...it's a regular beat-up item from many north American Festool enthusiasts...)

Frank Snyder
03-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Martin - I have the C12 and is it is my favorite drill (I have 5). The trigger placement is a little odd at first (middle finger), but I prefer it now and it feels like a natural extension of my hand. The eccentric and right-angle heads have saved me on numerous occasions. I also appreciate its light weight and it has considerable power for a smaller battery.

Does the C12 take conventional drill bits? Yes. Just use the standard chuck head.

Also, I think I read somewhere that the hex bits were a different size (metric?) than 1/4" like most available in the US. Seems like if Festool wants to market to the US, they should conform (at least a little) to our "norms".
You're thinking of the Centrotec bits which are used with the Centrotec head. You can still use standard hex-shank bits. The eccentric head, right angle, standard chuck will use them, and you can use the Centrotec head with the hex-shank adapter.

I like the idea of the "offset" and "right angle" drills, but not so much that I want to buy a new set of expensive bits from Festool. You would only need to if you wanted the Centrotec shank bits. They offer less run out, but they are not required for this drill. The offset (eccentric) and right angle attachments make this drill indispensable.

So... I guess if it will use my regular old US (well maybe Chinese) plain jane bits, I'm probably sold, but if not, well, maybe I can hold onto my heavy DeWalt a while longer. In my opinion, there is no comparison here. The C12 is comfortable to use, can do so much more with the different attachments, and will last a heck of a lot longer than a DeWalt will. I own 5 drills (Makita & Panasonic), and this one replaces all of them (except maybe for my cordless hammer drill...but that's a little different application).

It may seem expensive for a drill, but it is really 3 drills in one (with attachments) and I doubt you will need or want to buy another drill for a long, long time.

Give Uncle Bob my best ;).

Gary Keedwell
03-28-2007, 10:25 PM
The C12 is a wonderful tool...and quite unique in it's motor design. I don't own one, but have fondled the same...I'm very enamored with my TDK 12v, but the C12 is even nicer. And yes, the different chuck configurations are great. (You definitely want the kit with all the goodies) Despite the fact that I "like" my Dewalt 14.4 drill/driver, my Festool drill/driver is my go-to tool 90% of the time. It's comfortable. Powerful. Holds a charge for a long time and really feels great in my hand. The C12 would be even nicer, IMHO, but it wasn't available when I bought.

Now...the Centrotec system "direct" will not grip a US-format hex bit, but the BH-65 gets around that and will work with all your current accessories. And there are no "native" square drive bits available. (Yea, Christian O knows about this "hole"...it's a regular beat-up item from many north American Festool enthusiasts...)
I'll second that. I really like my Festool cordless drill, but the centrotec is a big disappointment, to say the least.:mad:

Gary K.

James Manning
03-28-2007, 11:02 PM
I'll second that. I really like my Festool cordless drill, but the centrotec is a big disappointment, to say the least.:mad:

Gary K.

I agree, I love the drill and the different heads, but I do wish the centrotec head would accept regular hex shank bits that we have here in the usa. Maybe they will come out with another slip on head for the drill to accept our bits! Uncle Bob could you forward this request for
us?:D

Ken Milhinch
03-29-2007, 7:37 AM
I have numerous Festool tools in my shop, including two drills, and I would happily give them to you free. I think their drills are crap in comparison to the rest of their range.
By the way, your "norms" may be an imperial measuring system, but the rest of the world is metric. I really don't know why the US hangs onto the old system. Your currency is metric after all.:rolleyes:

Pete Brown
03-29-2007, 7:52 AM
By the way, your "norms" may be an imperial measuring system, but the rest of the world is metric. I really don't know why the US hangs onto the old system. Your currency is metric after all.:rolleyes:

We need to keep our brains sharp. Calculating all those fractions is just the thing for that ;)

Plus, it allows us to sell fractional calculators!

Pete

Loren Hedahl
03-29-2007, 8:31 AM
I have numerous Festool tools in my shop, including two drills, and I would happily give them to you free. I think their drills are crap in comparison to the rest of their range.

Ken,

I have a couple of old Makitas, 7.2 v type, that haven't died yet. When that time comes, is there something better than Festool in cordless drills?

Concerning the metric changeover -- the auto industry really bungled it for awhile with both systems used in the same car.

Seems like Congress legislated it in 20 - 30 years back, but nobody paid much attention to them. That is usually a good thing, but probably not that time.

One of the arguments was there would be no need to teach fractions in school, thus they could drop about a year off. That's about 4th or 5th grade, and the parents didn't want the kids home for a year, I guess.

Come to think of it, do you Aussies even know what fractions are anymore?

Loren

Per Swenson
03-29-2007, 8:48 AM
ll.:rolleyes:

Help me out here Ken.

I have been sitting on the proverbial fence for, dang, two years?

In the interim, remember I use a drill in a daily professional capacity,

I have destroyed two makitas, impact and drill, one 1/2 pc,

purchased a hunk of junk metabo, and two drywall guns are on their last legs.

If I get a year on a driver or a drwall gun I am impressed.

So doing the math... I dunno, how about a little more elaboration before

I reup inventory.

Per

Frank Snyder
03-29-2007, 8:58 AM
I don't know about their drills being crap...Tommy Silva still uses his Festool CDD which IMO says a lot about it's dependability. I've had my C12 since it was released here in the states (year and a half?) and I use it daily with no issues. They must have some pretty amazing tools down under if Festool drills are crap by comparison.

Al Willits
03-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Thought the drill was well made, run smooth and the "system" was a nice touch, didn't like the middle finger trigger and the shape was uncomfortable for my bigger hands, Beasty wanted one until she seen the $400 price for the set.
Personally I like my Dewalt 14v and when I need to change tips I get out the Makita I have and put different tips on each, seems quicker than changing heads, plus when using the clutch on pocket screws and such I can set it and forget it.

I haven't looked at Festools basic cordless (one that looks like a drill ) but it looks like a nice unit.

Next drill will probably be another 14v Dewalt, as I really like using that model.

Al

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 3:23 PM
Good point by Al and others...drill/drivers need to be comfortable in your hand, so like many hand-held powertools, it's best to "test drive" before you plunk down your money. A drill/driver, for example, gets "one-handed" a lot and sometimes overhead, etc. Try it out in all dimensions.

Steve Rowe
03-29-2007, 5:34 PM
There are times I wonder about that too but, please explain why the rest of the metric world use sockets and ratchets that have the 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives?:rolleyes:
Steve

Gary Keedwell
03-29-2007, 5:58 PM

May the wrath of the kool-aid crowd be merciful.

Gary K.:o

Peter Kuhlman
03-29-2007, 6:19 PM
Like others, I have several drills including the Festool C12. The Festool is by far the best of my battery drills for holding a charge in the batteries without discharging when not used even though i normally use the NiCd batteries which would normally discharge in non use - sure do in my Panasonic and Sears units. There are 3 batteries available and I have the smallest 1.2ah NiCd and the largest 3.0ah which I think is NiMH or something. Both types are very long lasting in use - far longer than I thought they would be for just being 12volt. Absolutely no complaints in power or battery life and easily keeps up with my 15.6 volt drills. The additional chucks come in handy at times - critical when really needed. The drill is much shorter than most others and really shrinks when you take all the chucks off and just use insert driver bits. You really need - and you have - to try one out as the hand grip is different - might feel too large. I do wish it was a little smaller diameter handle. Makita has come out with a new drill that is compact and high power using LiIon. It is also quite pricey. In many ways, all drills are the same but Festool sure has a nicely engineered product. The motor design is actually a DC powered unit that converts to AC so there are no brushes - no arcing and sparking - and extremely long lasting. Should last your lifetime. You could easily get by with a lower cost battery drill and a corded right angle Milwaukee for tight area use but your total cost would be similar to the Festool. Another new favorite of mine for lighter duty use is the new Bosch palm drill for driving screws and such but no match to the Festool for heavy duty drilling.
Pete

Ken Milhinch
03-29-2007, 8:47 PM
To elaborate on my contentious comment, I have 2 Porter Cable, 2 Dewalt, 2 Festool, 1 Panasonic and 1 Metabo. If I had to choose only one, it would be the Panasonic. Great balance in the hand, and the batteries are legendary. My opinion of the Festool drills is just that - an opinion.
I find both of them struggle to hold a charge for very long, and the CDD drill literally fell to pieces when I dropped it on a hard floor.
I will happily pay a premium for tools like their Rotex Sander and their OF1400 Router and Plunge Cut Saw, because they all have features which beat the opposition, not the least of which is dust collection. I simply don't believe their drills are any better than some of the other brands, and not as good as some.

Peter Pedisich
03-29-2007, 11:27 PM
To elaborate on my contentious comment, I have 2 Porter Cable, 2 Dewalt, 2 Festool, 1 Panasonic and 1 Metabo. If I had to choose only one, it would be the Panasonic. Great balance in the hand, and the batteries are legendary. My opinion of the Festool drills is just that - an opinion.
I find both of them struggle to hold a charge for very long, and the CDD drill literally fell to pieces when I dropped it on a hard floor.
I will happily pay a premium for tools like their Rotex Sander and their OF1400 Router and Plunge Cut Saw, because they all have features which beat the opposition, not the least of which is dust collection. I simply don't believe their drills are any better than some of the other brands, and not as good as some.

Ken,

You have brought up some good points, as I have learned the most appealing quality in a drill/driver (to me) is durability. I have owned 3 Panasonic drills and find them to posess that elusive balance of ergonomics, precision and battery life. Unfortunately, 2 of them suffered bent shaft and/or gearbox damage from a fall of about one meter onto concrete. I have a DeWalt that does not have the great 'feel' of the Panasonics nor remotely close to the battery performance but it's been tough as nails and despite being dropped countless times the chuck runs true as a turbine. The C12 looks great but for over US$500 I'd never forgive myself for damaging it which will undoubtedly happen:eek: Drills are the Rodney Dangerfield of tools, they don't get no respect.

Pete

Al Willits
03-30-2007, 8:37 AM
Well...fwiw while at the local Woodcraft store I was playing with the C12 and trying to change the head, I dropped the drill..
Once it quite bouncing I picked it up and all looked well, nothing broke...much to the relief of the saleman who was there.
So, it prob will sustain at least one drop of appox 4.5'....much to my relief.

Still, not the drill for me, and if anybody's dumping a perfectly good Dewalt 14v to get a better drill...please contact me...:D

Al