PDA

View Full Version : 6" jointers

david hines
03-28-2007, 7:45 PM
Hi all, I am in the market for a jointer. I was in lowes today , while checking out I bought a mag that had 6 " jointers reviewed. I have been thinking about wilke/yorkcraft and thought this review is just in time. But of course Wilke wasnt mentioned. I guess they didnt buy any ads this month.I did read the article and it did a good job of explaining the different types of 6" jointers.It is too bad they didnt include Wilke , most other reviews at least mention them.

Jim Becker
03-28-2007, 8:05 PM
David, just about any of the 6" closed stand jointers will do a fine job for what they are capable of. You may want to consider saving a little more to go to an 8" machine, however, so you can have a little more capacity for face jointing lumber flat. There are some good values "out there" from Wilke, Grizzly, etc., in that space that are only a few hundred dollars more. It will be money well invested, IMHO.

Craig D Peltier
03-28-2007, 9:49 PM
I was convinced to spend an extra few hundred to get an 8" Griz.It was double after ship an tax of the ridgid even on sale.I finally get it t-morrow. What sold me about and 8" , beside the face capacity was the table wont fall over with long boards/heavy.There kind of tippy for the chunky stuff I have been told. I used a friends 6" ridgid it was nice and he loved it.
Plus longevity an resale will be better IMO.

Jason White
03-28-2007, 9:55 PM
I have the RIDGID and like it. However, I wish the bed was longer. Also, it's a bit tippy when wheeled around on a mobile base. In fact, it took a dump in the driveway one afternoon -- damn near busted the fence off.

JW

Hi all, I am in the market for a jointer. I was in lowes today , while checking out I bought a mag that had 6 " jointers reviewed. I have been thinking about wilke/yorkcraft and thought this review is just in time. But of course Wilke wasnt mentioned. I guess they didnt buy any ads this month.I did read the article and it did a good job of explaining the different types of 6" jointers.It is too bad they didnt include Wilke , most other reviews at least mention them.

glenn bradley
03-28-2007, 11:20 PM
I realized my error in only buying a 6" shortly after using it a bit. I'm saving for an 8". $ave your$elf thi$ $tep.

Ryan Bess
03-29-2007, 9:35 AM
I recently purchased a 6" Grizzly (GO452). It is simple, well built, inexpensive, and has a kickstand mobile base. I've run several hundred feet of 8/4 walnut and hard maple and have no complaints. I just don't understand the whole argument of "save your money and get an 8". When those people do purchase an 8" jointer, do they wish they had bought a 12"? Do those with deep pockets that buy a 12" wish they had bought a 15"?? I don't understand how that discussion could ever find a conclusion. I say buy what size you can afford and start enjoying the benefits of a jointer today. Before I had one, I always managed to just get by. Now that I have one, I don't know how I lived without it. Good luck with your purchse!

Brian Weick
03-29-2007, 9:51 AM
I recently purchased a 6" Grizzly (GO452). It is simple, well built, inexpensive, and has a kickstand mobile base. I've run several hundred feet of 8/4 walnut and hard maple and have no complaints. I just don't understand the whole argument of "save your money and get an 8". When those people do purchase an 8" jointer, do they wish they had bought a 12"? Do those with deep pockets that buy a 12" wish they had bought a 15"?? I don't understand how that discussion could ever find a conclusion. I say buy what size you can afford and start enjoying the benefits of a jointer today. Before I had one, I always managed to just get by. Now that I have one, I don't know how I lived without it. Good luck with your purchse!
Ryan,
sometimes you need to plane out the surface of a board on a jointer to resolve cupping or small defects before you can run it through a planer, otherwise the cup will somtimes remain in the board.

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 11:18 AM
I say buy what size you can afford and start enjoying the benefits of a jointer today. Before I had one, I always managed to just get by. Now that I have one, I don't know how I lived without it.

No disagreement that "no jointer" is a bummer if you want to work with true stock. If there is no possiblity to go larger now, by all means, buy the 6" machine. (Used is actually a good idea to reduce future costs when upgrading) For occasional flattening of wider board, a sled with wedges and a planer can be used in the mean time.

I think that folks are just suggesting...and largely from experience...that if one can wait a month or three longer and accumulate a little more money, a larger machine will provide more utility. 6" jointers are great for edges and small components, but fall short for flattening stock when most folks buy lumber that is wider than 6". I found that maddening as for me, ripping something out of a nice wide board just to be able to flatten it is almost "sinful"... And it really is more expensive to buy two tools than to wait and save a little more initially for the larger, more capable machine.

Ryan Bess
03-29-2007, 11:36 AM
You gentlemen make great points. I will agree that a little buying patience could "pay off" in the long run. I have had no use yet for a larger jointer, but the day I do - I will remember your words of wisdom here....

Steve Kohn
03-29-2007, 1:16 PM
I have owned and made extensive use of my 6 inch jointer for years. It is only in the last 6 months that I really am finding that I need/want wider capability.

I have been looking at the raw stock I have been buying and realize an 8 inch jointer would be marginal at best. Much of the rough sawn material I am currently buying is 8.5 to 9.5 inches wide.

So now I am trying to decide on which 10 inch jointer, and how I can talk my wife into letting me buy it. At least it isn't another saw.

Rob Bodenschatz
03-29-2007, 2:20 PM
So now I am trying to decide on which 10 inch jointer, and how I can talk my wife into letting me buy it. At least it isn't another saw.
Haven't tried that argument. Let us know how that works out for you.:)

david hines
03-29-2007, 3:40 PM
I realize an 8" jointer is a better tool.I dont have 220 in my shop and with the cost of upgrade i am priced out of that. Another factor is i spent the rest of my tool budget on A Makita LI-ON 4 piece kit.I could not see giving dewalt any more money for nicad batteries. Mine were just about dead and i needed to replace them. One more factor is the used market is getting a ton of money for jointers. so i will buy new and hope to upgrade in a few years. thanks again david hines ps feel free to add comments

Jim Becker
03-29-2007, 3:43 PM
FYI, David, most 8" jointer run just fine on 120v 20 amp circuits.