PDA

View Full Version : Trimmimg Laminate on Kitchen Counter

fRED mCnEILL
03-28-2007, 6:57 PM
I am putting laminate on a kitchen counter. The edge is 90 degrees and also laminate. This counter has a cutout for a farm sink and the counter edge runs along the top edge of the sink. The cutout is curved at the back to match the curvature of the sink but is open at the front..

I have a mock-up to test not only heating the laminate so it goes into the round corners but also to test trimming it.
I have used a flush trim bit to trim the laminate. My first step was to cut and glue the edge on. Then I attempted to trim it. However the router cannot follow the inside of the corner. Is there a trick to trimming the section that goes around the corner? It won't be a problem to trim the top once it is glued down as the base of the router will ride on the surface of the counter.

TIA

Fred Mc.

Steve Clardy
03-28-2007, 7:26 PM
You need a laminate file

PC-10M fine
PC-10F course

Either will work

Made by Practical Products, Inc.

I bought mine from Baer Supply

You can use a regular mill file, around 10" long.
Go easy though. If your laminate is sticking up past substrate much past an 1/8", its easy to break the laminate.

Russ Buddle
03-28-2007, 10:55 PM
I have CAREFULLY used a belt sander to hog away the laminate in places a trim router will not go. Try this several times on your mock-up before going for the finished countertop.