PDA

View Full Version : Using Adobe Illustrator on Epilog

David Fairfield
03-28-2007, 12:24 PM
I use Adobe Illustrator for graphics but, had a lot of trouble communicating with the Epilog laser. Mainly it would vector stray lines all over the place, destroying materials in the process. :(

Epilog recommends using Corel, but since I prefer Adobe, I experimented until I figured out a solution that works --

The Epilog driver software seems to become confused when the dimensions of the Adobe's "Document" or "artboard" differ from the "Media" print size in Epilog's print menu.

So in the print window, in the media box, go to "custom" dimensions and plug in the Adobe artwork dimensions. Hooah! Problem solved :)

Hope this helps other Adobe fans!

Dave

Paul Proffitt
03-28-2007, 12:54 PM
I'd be very interested to know what laser driver and version of Illustrator you are using. I tried this a few years ago. I could raster just fine, but never could vector anything. No matter what I did to the lines I could never get the laser to 'understand' or interpret them as vectors. It was explained to me that they had to be 'hairline' width lines which Corel and AutoCAD can create, but Illustrator cannot.

I would much prefer using Illustrator if at all possible. I know it better and in my opinion it is much faster and simpler to use for most anything than CorelDraw.

Paul Proffitt
Epilog Legend 24TT, Corel 12, Illustrator CS, Photoshop CS

David Fairfield
03-28-2007, 4:36 PM
Hi Paul

I agree with you about Adobe vs Corel Draw. To me, working in Corel is like trying to work in Adobe with a sinus headache. :rolleyes: No comparison.

I'm using Adobe CS, my driver is ... whatever came with the laser when I bought it new last year. :confused: Win 32? My laser will vector cut as per the manual specifications-- any line width set for .001" or .025mm gets sliced.

I've had to work around a few glitches caused by Adobe, until I arrived at the current solution. If this doesnt work for you, also try separating your vectoring and rastering into two different layers in AI, then print them as separate jobs (just make one layer invisible in the layers palette, load the visible one, then do the same with the other). Make sure there's no stray or invisible anchors left in your drawing by going to Object/Path/Cleanup in AI. In the print driver, select raster only and vector only. Load both layers to the laser before starting the jobs, and you should have no alignment problem.

Let me know how it goes, always good to hear from other Adobe users!

Dave

Paul Proffitt
03-28-2007, 5:56 PM
My driver is also the 'what came with the machine' which means it is about four years old for this Epilog Legend 24TT. I'm going to wonder out loud whether a 'newer' driver from other systems will work on the 24TT. Anyone know? This should be a question for Epilog. Maybe I'll ask.

I've tried just about any and every line width I could with Illustrator. I've tried setting the laser to vector only and still no joy. It has been quite a while since I played with this though.

David Fairfield
03-28-2007, 7:25 PM
Paul, I'm sure Epilog can set you up with a new driver at no cost, and that may solve your problem. Not being computer literate, I'm always wary of changing things once I have them working reasonably well.

One thing I now know for sure, the Epilog Mini 24 WILL work properly from Adobe Illustrator files sent from a PC. Give yours another try.

Dave

Bill Cunningham
03-31-2007, 9:49 PM
If your using a 24TT that 4 years old, and on the original driver, then there is at least one more update you can flash.. After that, there is nothing.. I alread made the enquiry to Epilog as to whether any of the new drivers, with the new functions (i.e. bottom up raster ) wouldwork on the TT and the answer is no... At least thats what they said.. Any one want to gamble flash chip to find out?:eek:

Doug Griffith
06-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I exclusively use Illustrator with my Epilog Mini 24/45 with very little problems. Both raster and vector work in the same job. Here is what I've found:

Illustrator does not have a "thin enough" line weight built in. For versions CS and above, typing .0001" in the stroke field works well. For Earlier versions there is a plugin called Hot Door Cadtools that allows this number to be typed in.

Vector sorting sometimes produces stray lines between points. Turning off vector sorting and putting each element in it's own layer seems to solve this. You can control sorting since cutting works from the bottom layer up. Color maps also work for sorting. As mentioned earlier, set the artboard to the media size of your machine.

Adjusting cut direction can save a lot of time. There are 2 ways to do this. For open paths, use the pen tool and click on the end point. Temporarilly add arrowheads to check direction. There is also a javascript plugin that does the same thing and works on closed paths as well. It can be found here: http://illustrator.hilfdirselbst.ch/dokuwiki/english/scripts/javascript/wr-reversepathdirection

If using a Macintosh, transfer the file to the PC, then copy the entire contents of the Mac file to a new Illustrator file that was created with the PC version of Illustrator.

So far, my only problem seems to be cutting in rubber stamp mode. Has anyone done this from Illustrator?

Cheers

Marc Myer
06-05-2007, 1:11 PM
I too use Illustrator with my Epilog. I use a line width of 0.1 and it works every time. But I'm trying to learn Corel without actually trying :). Gee, I'm still trying to learn the other 12 essential software suites I need!

I was using the latest Epilog driver, but there is a new one to load. I'll have to break down and do it: everyone says it's stable.
marc

Peck Sidara
06-05-2007, 6:34 PM
For those Illustrator customers, I suggest using the vector only driver. This driver is availabe on our website (V7.0) works on the Legend and newer machines so it'll work on the TT's out there. The thing I like about it is that you can have both your standard driver and the vector driver installed on the same PC. Downfall, it's just that, vector only. I believe it'll take care of some of the quarks of Illustrator CS and CS2 some of ya'll are seeing out there.

Hope that helps.