PDA

View Full Version : Long Clamps

Jim Summers
03-28-2007, 9:40 AM
Hello All,

Last night I was putting together a face frame for a cabinet that I am working on. The carcass is 85"x28". The joinery throughout the faceframe is basic biscuit and glue.

My process was going to be:
1 glue the bottom stile to an end rail.
2 glue the top stile to the same end rail.
3 glue the interior stiles (for the doors) in place.
4 glue the last end stile on.

After a dry run that went pretty well, I found myself in need of a long clamp or something to pull or hold the joints in steps 1 and 2 together. But thinking I could do without, I proceeded. I wish someone could have video taped it, because it definitley could have been a submittal to one of those Funny video shows! I was able to get it together and squared up, but it was definitely a battle. The main issue I had was keeping the end stile in place and pulled together as a I proceeded.

So I was wondering if there are some on-the-fly / temporary long clamps that can be built and then broken down after use? My first thought was a long, 20-30' feet of 3/8ths banding that could be put in a Merle clamp, would work, assuming I had thought to find some beforehand. Also that would only be useful for post-assembly and pulling the whole enchilada together. Next I was thinking of a block attached to a 2x4 and then some sort of clamping mechanism attached to the other end.

Ideas / suggestions?

TIA

Anthony Anderson
03-28-2007, 9:48 AM
For a low cost option (relatively), you could buy four lengths of 3/4" black gas pipe along with 3/4" Jorgensen or Rockler pipe clamps (the new Rocklers are pretty nice) and use those when you run into a larger project requiring a longer clamp. Store them in the utility room or in a corner when not needed. You can also use shorter pipe clamps and connect them with a coupler when you need a longer clamp. Hope this Helps, Bill

Gary McKown
03-28-2007, 10:00 AM
"I was thinking of a block attached to a 2x4 and then some sort of clamping mechanism attached to the other end."

Put two blocks on the 2X4 with a half-inch or so of free space, then use a wedge for the clamping. Better yet, use two of these to lay the face frame in.

Joe Chritz
03-28-2007, 11:15 AM
I use Anthony's idea.

Couplings for 3/4 pipe when I need something longer than 60". It isn't as nice as a Bessey clamp or a single piece of pipe but much less trouble to store.

Joe

Quinn McCarthy
03-28-2007, 11:31 AM
I have built 3/4" jorgensen clamps to 20' for a recent job. Just get a bunch of pieces of pipe and some couplers and you are all set.

Hope that helps

Quinn

Stephen Clem
03-28-2007, 11:35 AM
I second the pipe clamp solution. Get about 10 or so, or more depending on your needs, of the pipe clamp hardware. Then grab a wide variety of pipes in different lengths. Make sure you get plenty of the couplers too so you can have any size clamp you need, at any length! Be careful though because the pipe clamps are much much stronger than any clamps I've ever seen. And if you use too much clamping pressure when you have two or more pipes joined together for a long clamp, you can break the steel coupler. Happened to me once, loud snap - It thought it was the wood! :eek: Anyway, I've never had a problem with clamps since I got all the pipes. I store them on a peg board with curved hangers. I hate having to use a long clamp when all you need is a few inches. Thats why I have a lot of the 12" long pipes and keep the hardware on them most of the time. Lowe's plumbing isle has 3/4" pipes and 1/2" I think - you can get either size clamping hardware there as well. They can cut the pip and thread them to any lenght, but they also have pre-cut lengths of 12", 18", 24"....and so on. Much much cheaper than a few Besseys. The one problem is that the clamping face only sticks out about 2" past the pipe so if you need to clamp something more towards the middle of a board, you need to improvise. I use scrap wood, 2x4's, etc, but I have been thinking about getting a few Bow Clamps!:)

Steve Roxberg
03-28-2007, 11:41 AM
If you have Bessey K-Bodies then you can purchase some adapters that allow you to connect two of them together. Woodcraft just started to sell them and they are also sold by Peachtree woodworking.

Jim Summers
03-28-2007, 5:00 PM
Excellent ideas. I will remember them all. Good to have many options for different situations. That's one of the many reasons to hangout down at the creek.

Thanks again!

Doug Shepard
03-28-2007, 6:45 PM
If you're gluing this up in an area with open rafters (like a garage shop) you can cut scrap 2x4's and use them as wedge clamps between the rafters and the project. Cut them a tad long so that you have to tap them into place and use scraps of wood to protect the carcase. I did this when I ran out of clamps years ago and like a fool already had glue on the project. Worked like a charm.

Steve Jenkins
03-28-2007, 7:52 PM
For the face frame you can skip the clamps and use pocket screws from the back.
also I have a bunch of 3/4 pipe in different lengths and lots of couplings.

Andy Haney
03-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Jim,

I have nothing to offer different than what has already been said relative to the question/solution. However, maybe you and I can get together and make a "how-not-to" video. I've had so many similar experiences.

Andy

sascha gast
03-29-2007, 2:04 AM
I was having the same problem. but I didn't want to use my pipe clams, so I ended up buying 4 Jet parallel clamps from Amazon...............98", yes, you heard me, 98" long.....for about $50 each and free shipping. I know I won't use them much, but what the heck, they worked like a charm.