PDA

View Full Version : Boeshield for Gun Cleaning?

Russ Filtz
03-28-2007, 6:35 AM
I was wondering if Boeshield would be good for cleaning weapons? OK, not really the cleaning part, but as a final step instead of traditional gun oil or wiping with a silicone cloth, etc. Seems like if you sprayed Boeshield then wiped dry you'd still get the penetration for rust prevention. Question is would it get "build up" over time and cause problems?

Rich Engelhardt
03-28-2007, 6:54 AM
Hello Russ,
They (Boeshield) recommend it so it's probably ok.
{Boeshield sounds a lot like WD40 in that it displaces water & according to the data on the website it behaves a lot like WD40.
WD40 get gummy, then hardens to kind of a mess after time.}

Personally, I like a product called Clenzoil.
I got turned on to Clenzoil a few years ago when I frequented the local gun shows. One guy that set up at the show in Medina (Ohio), always seemed to have the nicest display. It always seemed his table drew the most business.
I asked him what he used on the guns to give them such a nice deep blue finish, and he told me he used Clenzoil. I've been using it ever since.
It's not much for protection in the field, but it can't be beat for appearance.

For protection, Breakfree CLP is usually the best or near the top of the best things to use.

Kurt T. Kneller
03-28-2007, 7:44 AM
I am not sure about using Boeshield for guns, personally I have never used it for that. However, do not use their companion rust remover as it will damage the finish.
I had an remington 870 w/ parkerized finish next to my work bench (it had just been cleaned) and accidently spilled their rust remover, while clening some hand tools and it landed on the gun. It actually ate through the finish. Thank god it was not my Beretta or any of my other "finer" weapons.

Russ Filtz
03-28-2007, 1:13 PM
Hey it does say so on their website! Guess I should have looked first. I don't think I'd compare Boeshield to WD-40. WD-40 is not made to be a lubricant, just a water displacer/solvent. It will actually "DE"-lubricate things! I think Boeshield is sort of an aerosolized parafin wax. It says to treat a gun just like I do a table saw top. Spray on/wipe off for general use, and spray thick and wipe off later for storage.

Mark Pruitt
03-28-2007, 2:42 PM
I like to use Boeshield on the bed of my lathe, but unless you wipe it for what seems like forever, it leaves a gummy feel to it. That doesn't bother me a bit on a lathe but it sure would on a firearm.

Rob Wright
03-28-2007, 10:37 PM
I use Break Free CLP to clean and Boesheild at the end of the season to store in the safe. It has worked great for the last three years!

Burt Alcantara
03-29-2007, 11:11 AM
My wife and I have used Break Free for the past 7 years on all types of guns. No rust, no gunk, no squibs, no stovepipes, just good shootin'.

I've tried other brands, like Hoppes but couldn't stand the stink.

Burt

Sandy Masquith
03-29-2007, 2:30 PM
I've used BoeShield on guns. Especially on my black powder guns, it makes a nice film that keeps the gunpowder from making rust pits. Clean gun REALLY well, apply the Boeshield from a spritzing type applicator (so you don't get too much on it). Wipe off excess and allow the weapon to dry thoroughly before use. It does make a good lubricant, too.

This is my opinion, only. I've never used Brake-Clean on a weapon. I find BoeShield T-9 spray-on works well, and I kind of quit looking for other things to use!