PDA

View Full Version : Figured Teak

John Michaels
03-28-2007, 1:33 AM
Has anyone ever seen a piece a teak with figure like this before.

As a kid my parents had a lot of teak furniture, and over the years I always take notice when I see something made of teak, but I've never seen fiigure like this. I'm making an alder & teak end table and this photo is the top that I've already completed. Just wondering how rare something like this is?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1108263/FiguredTeak.jpg

Joe Jensen
03-28-2007, 2:00 AM
Has anyone ever seen a piece a teak with figure like this before.

As a kid my parents had a lot of teak furniture, and over the years I always take notice when I see something made of teak, but I've never seen fiigure like this. I'm making an alder & teak end table and this photo is the top that I've already completed. Just wondering how rare something like this is?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1108263/FiguredTeak.jpg

I've never seen figured Teak. Looks a ton like figured Koa to me...joe

John Michaels
03-28-2007, 9:50 AM
I've never seen figured Teak. Looks a ton like figured Koa to me...joe

I'm positive it's teak. The smell and oily feel are unmistakable. Also it was very hard on my planer blades.

Joe Jensen
03-30-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm positive it's teak. The smell and oily feel are unmistakable. Also it was very hard on my planer blades.

Amazingly beautiful. I did a quick google search for figured teak and couldn't even find veneer that nice. I'd say it's pretty rare. Where did you find it?..joe

John Michaels
03-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Amazingly beautiful. I did a quick google search for figured teak and couldn't even find veneer that nice. I'd say it's pretty rare. Where did you find it?..joe

I purchased it from a local guy who runs on outfit called Targo Woods. He's been in business for a long time and said he gets figured teak from time to time, but never has he seen figure like this before. I posted the pic to see if others out there had come across teak like this, maybe in the hopes of buying more somewhere.