PDA

View Full Version : Please, Tell Me About Your 10" (Oliver) Jointer

Caleb Dietrich
03-27-2007, 9:07 PM
Hello,

We're looking to replace the jointer in our shop. We have a 3 phase set up. But for a jointer, since we use it so often, it would be inconvenient to have to flip the 3 phase on each time.

1ph might be the best. I'm really interested in the Oliver 4240. I'm leaning toward the knives. Looking for some 1st hand experience.

Thanks

Brian Weick
03-27-2007, 9:13 PM
I would go with that oliver- spiral cutter- you won't be disappointed.
Brian

Ed Kowaski
03-28-2007, 12:38 AM
No specific questions so I'll say I'm very fussy about tools and am well satisfied with mine. Built like a tank, good fit and finish. I have the spiral solid knife cutter head, no going back to straight knives. For a frame of reference my last jointer was a Wadkin, I like the Oliver considerable more. I doubt you'll have any regrets.

sascha gast
03-28-2007, 1:45 AM
have it, love it and I have the 5 knife cutter head, standard , no spiral and I am more than happy. I rather wanted the standard setup, I just know how to work with that better, either way, a great machine

Mike Heidrick
03-28-2007, 2:18 AM
So I just want to help encourage you.
I just got a 12" Delta jointer. I went from a 6" open stand Jet. I now have my Dust controll all figured out and this jointer is flat out one of the most awesome tools I own and have ever used. I was flattening a 10" wide piece of oak today and also a 8" piece of hard maple. I am in love. All I have is the regualr 3 straight blades in mine and it is awesome. Mine is also 3 phase but I am using a VFD AC Drive at the jointer and the power switch on the jointer triggers on the jointer's motor. It is a very very nuce setup for my shop.

Makes me want a real planer now as well.

What jointer are you guys moving from?

Richard Butler
03-28-2007, 2:45 AM
Hello,

We're looking to replace the jointer in our shop. We have a 3 phase set up. But for a jointer, since we use it so often, it would be inconvenient to have to flip the 3 phase on each time.

1ph might be the best. I'm really interested in the Oliver 4240. I'm leaning toward the knives. Looking for some 1st hand experience.

Thanks

Flipping on 3 phase is no different that flipping on single phase. Push a button and it is on. Push another button and it is off.

To be honest I wish I had 3 phase motors for all my tools. Smoother, quieter, and less moving parts. I put a single phase motor on my newly acquired jointer. I think I am going to put the original 3 phase motor on it and buy a VFD. The single phase motor is just too noisy and rough.

Knives? I would go with carbide inserts. Hit a nail or embedded rock? Change out a couple of inserts. Back in operation in a few minutes.

The saved downtime alone would pay for the carbide inserts in a hurry.

Ted Miller
03-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Caleb, I recently moved up from a 8" jointer and looked very close at the 10" Oliver. A friend of mine just loves his and had it for years with zero problems. I went back and forth over the Oliver 10 and 12" from either General, Griz or York. While I was waiting to make up my mind the York came done in price $200.00 below the Oliver and I just did not want to have to upgrade again a few years down the road for more deck space. So I pulled the trigger on the 12" york. But that Oliver was a nice heavy vibration free machine, 4 knife version, single ph my buddy has...