PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator gaskets replaceable?

Tony Sade
03-27-2007, 8:47 PM
The gasket on my 12 year old Whirlpool refrigerator doesn't seem to be providing a very tight seal. Other than checking to make sure the seal is tight, the manual doesn't mention the gaskets. Are these replaceable? I'll call the repair shop and manufacturer's help line tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask around first.

Thanks,

Martin Shupe
03-27-2007, 9:03 PM
Yes, they are....

You can order the part and do it yourself. I don't have Whirlpool, so I don't know where to order, but if you can buy the part and install it yourself, it will save some bucks.

J D Thomas
03-27-2007, 9:28 PM
I have a Kenmore that's been banished to the garage since we got a new one 2 years ago. Before that, I noticed the same thing, it wasn't making a good, tight seal and it felt hard. I ordered a new gasket set from Sears (not cheap, about $110) and installed it myself. Works great now. It's not all that hard and you should be able to find some online.

Al Willits
03-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Some gaskets are screwed on and some snap in place, with out your model I couldn't tell ya.
But either way, throw the new seal in the dryer for a few minutes to soften it up and use a hair dryer to help mold the gasket if it doesn't lay flat on the door, which it usually doesn't.

Careful, you break the door liner and you might as well throw the frig out.

Al

Mike Circo
03-28-2007, 8:59 AM
I've had great luck with repairclinic.com.

They have easy to use search features and give pictures of every part you look for. I used them a couple of times for various repairs. Many times the repair is easy, finding the part isn't.

Al Willits
03-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Use at your own risk, but here's a couple of part options.

http://www.partselect.com/

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/

Never ordered any parts but I use them for info a lot

Al

Here's Sears part site

http://www3.sears.com/

Roger Fitzsimonds
03-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Tony, If you can't find the gasket anyplace else check with Sears they are claiming to carry parts for all appliances.

Roger

Jeffrey Makiel
03-28-2007, 1:18 PM
I've used Repairclinic.com several times. They always seem to have the parts, even for a 35 year old Sears freezer. They also have lots of diagrams and drawings, a web-based self help diagnostic program, and a real live person (via email) if you wish.

good luck...Jeff :)

Mark Engel
03-28-2007, 1:36 PM
I use repairclinic.com as well.

They had all the parts I needed to repair my Kenmore clothes dryer. Motor, belt, front and rear drum seals.

Tony Sade
04-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Some gaskets are screwed on and some snap in place, with out your model I couldn't tell ya.
But either way, throw the new seal in the dryer for a few minutes to soften it up and use a hair dryer to help mold the gasket if it doesn't lay flat on the door, which it usually doesn't.

Careful, you break the door liner and you might as well throw the frig out.

Al

Truer words were never spoken, Al. The gasket on my Whirlpool is one of the snap-on variety. There is a very thin, fragile lip that is attached to the door liner, and a corresponding plastic flange attached to the gasket (a "j-hook" looking configuration) that slides under the plastic. The instructions call for cutting the gasket midway on one of the long sides of the door and gently removing it from under the lip. I started removing the gasket and just before I reached the first corner, pieces of the lip just started falling off. By the time I finished pulling the gasket, large chunks of this lip had cracked and fallen off. I did my best to get the gasket into what remained, but I knew I was looking at a new frig. I used silicone to secure what wasn't fixed under the lip, but, as you can imagine, it hasn't taken many door pulls to work that loose. If I'd thought of it, I would have used a hair dryer to heat/soften up the plastic, but my guess is the stuff had deteriorated to the point that heat wouldn't have helped. Be forewarned, those who attempt the same fix.

Time for a new appliance. :mad:

Thanks for all the suggestions, though.

Al Willits
04-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Sorry to hear that Tony, but ya the plastic can get very brittle after time, a bit of heat and a very soft touch is needed, resist the urge to just pull the old gasket off, slowly work it off.

Al