PDA

View Full Version : Oh Lord, it WORKS!

Reed Wells
03-27-2007, 7:02 PM
I have been using one of those garbage can DC collectors for years. It always did a good job at collecting the chips (if emptied enough) So I thought I would take the day off from furniture and come up with a poor mans, me, cyclone dust collector. With the exception of the $45.00 in parts my local Ace was happy to supply me with, I was going to use the junk collecting around the shop. You have to remember, I only had a day to make it work or haul it to the dump. It will never pass for one of Mark Singer's great pieces, but it works! In fact it works to an extreme degree. I have used it hard for two weeks now, two guys, ten hour days, and I still have not had to empty the DC filter bag. I took a lot of photos, and put down some of the steps I went through. I have the pics here (http://www.majikmushroom.com/woodworking.html).
Hope you like them,Reed

glenn bradley
03-27-2007, 8:06 PM
Very cool! It definitly saved itself from a ride to the dump. Good thinkin'.

Keith Beck
03-28-2007, 8:18 AM
Reed,

That's pretty ingenious and darn cool! I may have to give that a shot one of these days. Thanks for sharing.

Keith

Mark Singer
03-28-2007, 8:25 AM
Looks better than many of my pieces! and it works! Nice joinery ! Don't use the word Garbage , this is a thing of beauty!:rolleyes: Nice fix it job!

Grant Wilkinson
03-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Reed

Would you please post what dust collector you are using on your "cyclone"?

This is ingenious.

Grant
Ottawa ON

Chris Jenkins
03-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Reed,

Nice work around. I did something similar in my old shop. One thing I noticed though was once I upgraded my duct work to 6" this cool little toy becomes a thing of the past. Though I did not add the "cyclone" inside the second can, which may make a differance.

Pete Brown
03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
I have been using one of those garbage can DC collectors for years. It always did a good job at collecting the chips (if emptied enough) So I thought I would take the day off from furniture and come up with a poor mans, me, cyclone dust collector. With the exception of the $45.00 in parts my local Ace was happy to supply me with, I was going to use the junk collecting around the shop. You have to remember, I only had a day to make it work or haul it to the dump. It will never pass for one of Mark Singer's great pieces, but it works! In fact it works to an extreme degree. I have used it hard for two weeks now, two guys, ten hour days, and I still have not had to empty the DC filter bag. I took a lot of photos, and put down some of the steps I went through. I have the pics here (http://www.majikmushroom.com/woodworking.html).
Hope you like them,Reed

Hey, that's great! Don't short yourself on that. Great idea and great execution

Pete

Reed Wells
03-28-2007, 3:14 PM
Reed

Would you please post what dust collector you are using on your "cyclone"?

This is ingenious.

Grant
Ottawa ON
Grant, The DC I am using is a lower end Griz with a 2 horse Leeson (had to change the Chinese motor).