PDA

View Full Version : mesquite wood processing

Robert McGowen
03-27-2007, 5:11 PM
8' x 5' x 2' deep trailer. It is all mesquite that was cut up 12" long before I got it. Some of it is 14" plus inches in diameter. I am familiar with cutting it up and sealing it to prevent checking, but am not sure about actually turning it. I have heard that you can actually cut out a blank and finish turn it right then and that it is stable enough to do that. Is this true or should I go ahead and dry it first using my method of choice? Thanks in advance!

Mike Vickery
03-27-2007, 5:42 PM
I have been working alot with Mesquite lately so here is my take. Mesquite is incrediblly stable and moves very little and cracks very little. However on the stuff I have done if it is very wet and you take no precautions ( just leave it bare to air dry) it will develop surface checks.
I process mesquite like I would all wet wood I am just not as picky if it is totally 100% dry when I go to final turn it.

Harvey M. Taylor
03-27-2007, 5:43 PM
That is right about the one day turning. However, ahem, if the pith is left in the turning, you have to go the ca glue and sawdust route in the pith, as it WILL crack there. I live in mesquite country and do that all the time. Max.

Matt Haus
03-27-2007, 7:02 PM
I have turned several mesquite bowls from start to finish and one hollow form. No cracks. Moved little to none. My take....

Robert McGowen
03-27-2007, 7:27 PM
Follow up with a stupid question please. :o

1. Do you "finish turn" as in it is completely shaped and THEN dry it and several weeks or so later put on the actual finish.

2. Or do you mean you can completely shape it, sand it, and put on the finish all in one sitting?

On the other hand, I know a lot about fishing. :D

Matt Haus
03-27-2007, 8:30 PM
With mesquite, you can turn to your final form, sand (which will dry it some by friction), and finish - all in one session but I waited for the BLO to dry between coats before I buffed which was about a week later. YOur choice on finish. I chose BLO for several coats and then buffed with white diamond on the Beall buffing wheel. My projects were done 2 months ago and have been sitting on the piano. No movement, no cracking and no warping.

Bill Wyko
03-27-2007, 9:13 PM
I've got a bunch of mesquite too and I was told that if you wait until it's dry that you better have a sharpener on hand and ready. 2nd hand info though.

Matt Haus
03-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Funny you say that. I was told the same thing too. Something about the wood containing lots of silicates. The wet stuff I cut went like butter once you got past the bark

Martin Braun
03-27-2007, 11:02 PM
My experience has been that if one gets limb wood with some stress and a mix of sap & heartwood in it, it will crack or split. Otherwise, heartwood, trunk wood, and most limb wood is usually very stable. I have cut it wet or dry. Finish turned it wet or dry. It seems that the rate of growth is a big determinant in how hard it is to cut. The slower growth wood found in fields, etc. is extremely hard to cut and is best done with carbide tipped chains. DAMHIKT :) . If it's fast growth wood (e.g. mesquite trees grown in developments that are watered every week), the wood is much easier to cut.

Mike Vickery
03-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Funny you say that. I was told the same thing too. Something about the wood containing lots of silicates. The wet stuff I cut went like butter once you got past the bark

From my limited experience be ready to sharpen a lot either way. While I love working with it wet and it cuts nice either wet or dry, I usually refer to it as a filthy wood and when cutting wet my gouges edge gets cruded up fairly quickly with gunk (official term). I often wipe down my gouge with a saw blade cleaning fluid and a paper towel before sharpening so that it does not gunk up my grinder wheel.

Jason Hallowell
03-28-2007, 8:19 PM
If you do trun it wet, don't be surprised when the skin on your hands becomes stained black. Washing with soap further sets the stain, but it will come right off with something acidic. I use lemon or lime juice. I have worked with a lot of mesquite, and unless the pith is left in, I finish the whole thing in one sitting, and have not had any problems.

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2007, 8:41 PM
Follow up with a stupid question please. :o

1. Do you "finish turn" as in it is completely shaped and THEN dry it and several weeks or so later put on the actual finish.

2. Or do you mean you can completely shape it, sand it, and put on the finish all in one sitting?

On the other hand, I know a lot about fishing. :D

Robert I turned my two mesquite bowls from start to finish including putting on 3 coats of antique oil finish. Been 3 weeks and still haven't moved.

Robert McGowen
03-28-2007, 9:31 PM
Sounds like I have a lot of wood to seal and it will be ready to rock and roll! Thanks for all the advice!

Kaptan J.W. Meek
03-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Yes, you can do it in one session, yes you need very sharp tools, and they dull quickly. Yes, your hands, tools, shirt, and anything else thats used will be covered in plack stuff, but it comes off w/ lacquer thinner.. Best part is, it's fantastic looking wood!